Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 03:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: DoomRL Arsenal - Beta 6 out now  (Read 34086 times)

Yholl

• Private FC
  • Ammochaining lunatic
    • View Profile
DoomRL Arsenal - Beta 6 out now
« on: August 16, 2013, 08:21 »

Hey there guys, I've finally gotten around to releasing a DoomRL mod for ZDoom, a sourceport for the original Doom games. There's no leveling system, just the classes, weaponry, armor, boots, set bonuses and the amazing modpacks. There's also a WIP monsterpack you can use as well. Check out the link below to read about the details of the mod, just so I don't have to write up everything again.

Current version - Beta 6
ZDoom Thread

Please share with me your thoughts and questions, and I'll do my best to answer them. :)
Just remember that it is not an exact copy of DoomRL stuff, many things are different because of the difference in gametypes and/or because I am a benevolent dictator.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 18:21 by Yholl »

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL Arsenal - A little bit of DoomRL in Doom.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 10:54 »

A 3D FPS clone of a rogue-like based on an iconic 3D FPS?

Sir, my mind is blown!

I'll check it out tomorrow... gotta get some sleep now.  Oh and welcome to the forums!  =)
I computed, therefore I was.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 21:54 »

Whoa does this mod somehow blend its content into the main Doom campaign? If so that'd be pretty dang sweet.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Yholl

• Private FC
  • Ammochaining lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 04:08 »

A 3D FPS clone of a rogue-like based on an iconic 3D FPS?

Sir, my mind is blown!

I'll check it out tomorrow... gotta get some sleep now.  Oh and welcome to the forums!  =)

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy it! :)

Whoa does this mod somehow blend its content into the main Doom campaign? If so that'd be pretty dang sweet.

Yup, play as one of four classes and go forth through any Doom maps you want with the DoomRL weapons, exotics, uniques, assemblies and modpacks. It really shines in coop 32-map megawads, where you have something to keep looking for, rather than just finding the BFG9000. (The fourth class is just one without any traits or bonuses.)

EDIT: Man, I'm not getting much feedback at all in either thread. Or maybe I'm just impatient. I dunno.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:09 by Yholl »

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Twisted passages carry the smell of dapperness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 02:46 »

Nice! I have to check it out...

Maybe it could be combined with this: http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,5092.30.html

It's a work in progress, though, and I haven't touched it for a very long time now, unfortunately.
Arch-Vile Mjr General [24/19/18/8/2] (0.9.9.7)

Quote from: thelaptop
Dude... we need to change your forum handle from "Klear" to "Klear Nukem".

Yholl

• Private FC
  • Ammochaining lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 04:00 »

Nice! I have to check it out...

Maybe it could be combined with this: http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,5092.30.html

It's a work in progress, though, and I haven't touched it for a very long time now, unfortunately.

Haha, that's awesome! If you were willing to do the sprites for all the DoomRL weapons in that manner, I'd be more than happy to make them into a compatibility patch for DoomRL Arsenal. I can even make the custom monsters like the Agony Elemental for you, if you are going to continue making that at some point.

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 04:54 »

I don't see why I couldn't do that. It's not like it's going to be so much extra work, since pretty much every other weapon would be just a recolour of those I already have.

And I should take this as an impulse to finally ASCII-fy the few remaining Doom 2 enemies I haven't touched yet. Could be fun.

Yholl

• Private FC
  • Ammochaining lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 14:17 »

Ah, I love making the really freaking weird assemblies in DoomRL actually useful in some manner. Ah, High Power Nuclear BFG9000 and Plasmatic Shrapnel Plasma Shotgun, you are so silly. Ah, they make me giggle. Pity I can't really do the Combat Translocator with vanilla enemies, or I could do the ever so awesome High Power version of that too.

And I should take this as an impulse to finally ASCII-fy the few remaining Doom 2 enemies I haven't touched yet. Could be fun.

Oh yeah, and if you are going to make a full thing out of this, I'll remake all the normal enemies for it too. All the same size hitboxes, no letters being backwards when facing a certain direction, all that stuff.

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 14:22 »

A 3D FPS clone (utilizing ASCII graphics) of a roguelike (now with tiles graphics) based on a legendary 3D FPS.

This world really is a weird (and so much fun!) place. Can't wait to see the result of your combined efforts, guys :).
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Klear

• Elder
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 15:03 »

Oh yeah, and if you are going to make a full thing out of this, I'll remake all the normal enemies for it too. All the same size hitboxes, no letters being backwards when facing a certain direction, all that stuff.

Now that I think of it - I suspect that fixing the backwards letters would also allow me to only change one sprite for each enemy, while so far I simply replaced all sprites. I know it's possible, but didn't bother researching it until now. If I am to continue, it would save me some work if I knew how to do that.

A 3D FPS clone (utilizing ASCII graphics) of a roguelike (now with tiles graphics) based on a legendary 3D FPS.

I'm actually considering making a second batch of graphics, this time porting the DoomRL graphic mode into Doom. That will be something to behold.

Yholl

• Private FC
  • Ammochaining lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 18:38 »

Now that I think of it - I suspect that fixing the backwards letters would also allow me to only change one sprite for each enemy, while so far I simply replaced all sprites. I know it's possible, but didn't bother researching it until now. If I am to continue, it would save me some work if I knew how to do that.

Well, if you want, PM me the ASCII sprite for each enemy, as well as whatever death or gib ones there are, and I'll make them. I'll give you a list of their editor numbers for placing in maps, as well as their names for spawning them through scripts when I'm done. I'll try to get them done while I'm finishing Beta 2.

I'm actually considering making a second batch of graphics, this time porting the DoomRL graphic mode into Doom. That will be something to behold.
That would be quite amazing to see, you would also be able to keep your current maps, simply retexturing them with the graphical versions of things. Same with the monsters.

Equality

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 07:35 »

how I can load that in zdoom? download, unpack to gzdoom folder and have no this wad in select screen! :(
Once advanced DoomRL player
Find mysterious sword Dragonslayer
Say "Best thing ever found!" and start jumping around...
But he can't get the sword from the ground

Yholl

• Private FC
  • Ammochaining lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 08:10 »

how I can load that in zdoom? download, unpack to gzdoom folder and have no this wad in select screen! :(

Simply drag the files onto GzDoom to run them. That select screen only shows IWADS, which are the commercial Doom games (DOOM.wad, DOOM2.wad, plutonia.wad and tnt.wad)

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 21:51 »

This world really is a weird (and so much fun!) place. Can't wait to see the result of your combined efforts, guys :).
One day, I shall make DoomRL Arsenal - The Roguelike. Fuck yeah.
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Yholl

• Private FC
  • Ammochaining lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: DoomRL Arsenal - Beta 2
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 16:30 »

Beta 2 has been released, adding in the Plasma Shotgun, in all it's brroingg glory. Many tweaks and bugfixes too. You know you love those things.

brroingg
Pages: [1] 2 3  All