Author Topic: Crawl  (Read 46263 times)

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
Re: Crawl
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 14:53 »

Ditto - so far my best attempt at Crawl - stone Soup died on Character Level 6, or so xP
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 03:57 »

Well, I won't spoil the surprise just yet ^^

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 05:35 »

Bah... remember kiddies - if you ever get good item's it's only because RNG will kill you in the next couple of minutes (if only I'd remember that wand of paralysis):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 10:22 »

You were doing so well! Oo
If you were killed by a magic dart, then that potion of heal wounds would have more than saved you. And why weren't you wearing your ring of slaying?

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2007, 12:49 »

Bah... remember kiddies - if you ever get good item's it's only because RNG will kill you in the next couple of minutes

Quoted for truth:P

The only randarts I've ever got with my characters (a ring and a dagger, I think) were just the prelude of my supreme destruction. The RNG is even eviler(sic) than Kornel. :P
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2007, 15:10 »

First of all what is RNG? Second, how do you get such a detailed char information after you die? I want to post every one i did  (i had like 200 chars ;> )

And BTW anyone else thinks that all that info C:SS displays sucks? I don't want to know the dice rolls for christ sake! Yes, it is more helpful, but it totally destroys pseudo realism in game :(. And did anyone manage to find a solution to that Crawl online problem?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 15:14 by Supernaut »

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2007, 15:39 »

RNG = Random Number Generator.  I know not the answers to the other questions.

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2007, 18:10 »

I agree, RNG really is eVil!!! i would like to post my best char till now, i just played with him and got to 2nd elven halls! With 3 books, 6 wands, loads of potions and unfortunatly very few scrolls i got killed by a polymorphing Ice beast (it was an iron troll before, i guess it was some kind of elven character who polymorphed). Unfortunatly i was a high elven Ice Elementalist so fighting an ice beast really was more than hard. My best char at the time :)

One thing i need to ask, is there anyone who has tried Telnet crawl and it worked well for him? The game shows like letters and messages on the screen, and it mixes with background and game screen, and looks really messed up. Anyone tried it?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 18:20 by Supernaut »

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2007, 02:16 »

I enjoy playing CRAWL from time to time, Currently I'm hooked on Morrowind but my current record is something like a level 16 Demonspawn heavily mutated Fighter turned Wizard.

P.S - Supernaut, is your name a reference?

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2007, 05:34 »

Heresy!

* TFoN impales BDR on a fort pike!

RNG= Random Number God. That should explain its free will.
Giving praise to RNG and accepting its wrath will lead to redemption! ;P

The ultra-detailed char information should appear in the mortem of a Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup offline player, which should be in the game's folder.

What die rolls? I don't recall seeing any.

DL PuTTy. When asked, your host is crawl.akrasiac.org.
The weird text should go away (though I've encountered it once while watching some dude play).

Ah, and there are monsters known as Shapeshifters. I can say no more ;)

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2007, 07:44 »

* Adral joins the angry mob

Random Numer God is like Zeus for the Greek Pantheon, the God above the other Crawl gods :P

I do play by telnet sometimes, and the strange characters you mention only appear sometimes when it's "synchronizing" (at least for me). I use PuTTy for telnet and it works great. Be sure to drop by the irc at freenode (##crawl) sometimes, there are really helpful people there!

About the numbers of the dice, I have never seen them :-/

And at the official page you have all your played statistics, including detailed mortems (search for it a bit on the link provided) :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 08:29 by Adral »
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

Karry

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2007, 11:44 »

I tried it, but somehow couldn't get any liking to it. I still prefer ADOM :-)
I like ADOM a LOT (damn, classes like a farmer or a blacksmith rule) , but the lack of normal shops and more villages and stuff is annoying me... it has many very nice elements and some very irritating drawbacks. Though it is pretty damn hard as well.

If only those classes were more playable and you could buy more stuff in different shops (sort of like in Angband, but i would like to see more villages) I'm sure i would stick to it for much longer time.

In ADoM every class is playable, compared to...
And there are normal shops, compared to...

Anyway, CRAWL. It makes a fine coffee break game, but normal people will never get very far, that privilege is reserved for game maniacs, like those who beat DooMRL on UV.

Umm...anyway, CRAWL. A game where a chosen class means nothing. A game where map generation code is one of the worst there is, and creating the ugliest and the most senseless labyrinths you can see in a game. A game that tells you NOTHING ! You have to look everything up in spoilers, just to be able to understand the system. A game where its pretty much impossible to create a stealth-based char. And dont get me started on the subject of Sigmund and player's ghosts...
ADoM is an infinitely more refined and pleasureable game than this sorry attempt at hardcore.

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2007, 14:15 »

ADoM every class is playable, compared to...
And there are normal shops, compared to...

Anyway, CRAWL. It makes a fine coffee break game, but normal people will never get very far, that privilege is reserved for game maniacs, like those who beat DooMRL on UV.

Umm...anyway, CRAWL. A game where a chosen class means nothing. A game where map generation code is one of the worst there is, and creating the ugliest and the most senseless labyrinths you can see in a game. A game that tells you NOTHING ! You have to look everything up in spoilers, just to be able to understand the system. A game where its pretty much impossible to create a stealth-based char. And dont get me started on the subject of Sigmund and player's ghosts...
ADoM is an infinitely more refined and pleasureable game than this sorry attempt at hardcore.
ADOM vs Crawl you say? Ok here are some points that i agree with. Take this, ADOM lovers!!!  >>>>http://www.tripalot.com/roguelike/review.htm#adom<<<

Besides i tried many times playing Blacksmith class (because i like the idea) but i failed, because many of his useful abillities can be used only with specific items which you probably don't get until dungeon 3rd or so. A class with a strong pet is somehow crippled. It doesn't get any experience for the pet's kills (pet gets all), so it advances muuuch slower. I tried playing as hunter specified class, going wild in wilderness, but somehow experienced werejackals started to be a problem, and finally my doom. I tried playing a stealth specified class, but well... i died. The game is huge, but it always seem to me...not finished. 2 villages? A shop with food rations only and a black market? And where am i supposed to sell items?

In Crawl chosen class means nothing? Maybe race too? There's no difference in an assasin and a stalker? No difference in playing style? No difference between playing an Ice Elementalist and a Wizard, or a Warper? No difference between a kobold assasin and a mummy necromancer? O'realy?

Besides i have to say that although the game is hard to play and to beat, after many many tries you get really better at it, so that you really see your mistakes (if you ever thought that you dont make mistakes, and you always die because of unfair dungeons, come on, dont be ridiculous). Learning curve is high, so is difficulty. But unlike Adom every game is different, maybe because of no quests or something else... beside the replayability is Soooo damn high, so that even the difficulty don't mean a thing...

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2007, 14:41 »

I agree with Supernaut, maybe a class doesn't mean "anything" (it does mean, in the early game, and some classes are MUCH easier than others, also keep in mind that your stats depend on your class, so it's important for the late game too), but race does mean, and a lot at that. And playing two different characters is really different. And actually I think it's a much better game to play without spoilers than Adom, or Nethack, for instance. The problem with Crawl are the early levels, although this is being corrected step by step by their development team with Stone Soup variant. It's much easier to survive (for me, at least) in SS than in "normal" Crawl.

But I like Adom too, a lot. I like the interaction, the game world, the "story", etc. They are different games and have different strengths. Also, not every game is for everyone, but just try to respect other people's opinions ;).

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2007, 18:07 »

The problem with Crawl are the early levels, although this is being corrected step by step by their development team with Stone Soup variant. It's much easier to survive (for me, at least) in SS than in "normal" Crawl.

Hey, when i started SS i have chosen a ghoul fighter and the first things i noticed were :
1. All the dice rolls, to hit, and damage were shown, which greatly destroyed the whole pseudo realism in game
2. I played with some "Wizard mode" on but i cant configure it. When i "die" the game asks me "Do you want to die" or something like that...and man it is really annoying.

Anyone encountered those "problems"?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6