Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Crawl  (Read 46539 times)

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
Crawl
« on: January 26, 2007, 16:48 »

I hope Kornel Won't kill me and ban me forever for writing this topic ;).

What do you think about the game? What's your favourite race/class? Any character dumps? Any wins ;> ?

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: Crawl
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 16:51 »

Great game... Deep Elf Reaver or Deep Elf Stalker.

* Kornel Kisielewicz kills Supernaut.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 16:58 »

Arrghhh why did you kill my hopes?

I think one of the best sides of Crawl is that the races/classes not only make HUGE difference and influences great gameplay, but also make a specific feeling / atmosphere.

One of the most interesting race in my opinion is Ghoul. You really FEEL like having to hunt for meat and flesh. But it is certainly a very hard race to play.

My favourites are Demonspawn Reaver (This one is tricky as hell) and Minotaur Chaos Warrior worshipping Xom (this one is nasty as well. One time he just said "It's time to have some fun" and send some demons against me on Dlvl3. They killed me in 3rd turn after they appeared Xd)

Styro

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 18:33 »

Crawl is a great game!

My favorite combo is probably a Sludge Elf Stalker, but I have never won with one. I have only won with melee characters - A Hill Orc Fighter and a Dwarf Fighter (can't remember what kind of Dwarf it was).
Arch-Vile Mjr General
[19/19/12/7/3]

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 19:04 »

The one I like the most is the Troll Berserker: They have lots of health, lots of strength, quick regen, can eat anything that's not rotten/poisonous right from the start, are able to perform unarmed attacks that rival weapons in strength (and can even be used to dissect corpses without wielding a proper blade!) and start worshipping Trog (one of if not the easiest god to please: killing things while praying is all you really need to do [though I sacrifice poisonous corpses on occasion as well], and not casting magic from memory is all you need to *not* do [why in the world would you make a troll magician in the first place??]), whose very first ability granted is Berserk (so if you run into Sigmund you can actually stand a chance even at the start).  Only limitations are that they are naturally dumb (only really bad once you start running into int-draining monsters, since if your intelligence drops to 0 you forget how to breathe), get stat upgrades only every other level/3rd level and can't wear most armor in the game.

>_> However, my luck has so far ensured that the farthest I've gotten is... level 8 or so.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 19:17 by BDR »

Valkeera

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 19:09 »

I tried it, but somehow couldn't get any liking to it. I still prefer ADOM :-)
Angel of Death 007

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 08:04 »

Funny - for some reason, I specifically *dislike* ADoM :)

Trog (one of if not the easiest god to please: killing things while praying is all you really need to do [though I sacrifice poisonous corpses on occasion as well], and not casting magic from memory is all you need to *not* do [why in the world would you make a troll magician in the first place??])

Makhleb and Vehumet are in every way easier - only forgetting them angers them, they're glad to accept the killing of demons and the undead in their names (while Trog doesn't care), and summoned allies please them when they kill, whether you're praying or not. Considering one grants you the divine power of demonic summoning and the other's a god of magic conjurations and summonings (so you'll be getting the books as gifts, sooner or later), there's a good chance that all you'll be doing is invoking/casting, and then sitting back to enjoy the show. You end up playing a horde's sole commander, rather than a lone warrior :)
Also, using the most powerful summoning spells and abilities in Pandemonium gives some really sweet effects ;)

As for Troll wizards, if you check the spoilers you'll see that they're better at Earth Magic than they are at most forms of armed combat (too bad they suck terribly at Spellcasting). They're also not too bad at Necromancy.
Now, here's something I've been considering: a Troll Warrior of Kikubaaqudgha.
By investing most ability gains in Intelligence, and by using a decent ring of Int or the like (cap/wizard's hat of int if you're lucky, randart if you're patient), you'll certainly have a score of at least 12, and pretty fast. That's more than usable, considering Trolls are good at not wearing armor or shields and at not wielding weapons, and Kikubaaqudgha grants protection from Necromancy miscasts at high enough piety so there's plenty of room for magic practice.
Kiku (it's gonna' smite me for that, isn't it? :P ) also gives Necromancy-path books, so it's only a matter of time before you have access to them, and therefore there's no question of luck.
MPs're a problem, as Trolls have very slow natural access to it, but since they're massively strong regardless of playing style, they'll have plenty of room for chunks for castings of Sublimation of Blood. Since they're great unarmed combatants, this will take less time than it would have otherwise.
They don't need to cast Regeneration at all, and Pain hardly has a side-effect on them.
Now, if natural regeneration's kept under the influence of Necromutation, then with some planning they'll hardly need to eat ever again, while gaining immunity to several nasty forms of damage and still recovering lightning-fast, as Trolls do. If it isn't kept, then meh, they'll regain HPs like everyone else :P What's certain is that this will counteract many of the hunger issues, including those resulting from being a low-int-wiz. That's likely to be very unbalanced, as hunger's the Troll's main weakness, once Dragon Armour's found/created :P
Reaper summoning, Death's Door protection, eslavement of the undead, recall and racial access to massive melee skills are all gravy. Hell, he'll even be able to cast Bone Spray (that was the name, right?) often, as he'll have the strength to carry skeletons around!

The only serious problem with this character is that AFAIK Kiku <<TFoN is struck by a bolt of draining>> doesn't accept demon kills in any way, making the most readily available type of monster during the late-game useless piety-wise. This also means Pandemonium's a dangerous place to go for fear of excomunication, as you'll unavoidably "forget" your god of death - and I just can't play a game where I can't storm Pandemonium :)
Another minor issue is that this plan is very much a vision, meaning that it's based on how the character will turn out after some very rigorous play. Most of the time, you'll have to deal with hunger while still practicing your magic skills, all while finding living victims frantically. Good thing you don't have the option to sacrifice corpses, as that would put you in danger of your [very hungry] self ;P

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 08:48 »

I have tendency to play Demonspawn Chaos Knights of Makhleb - probably becaus when I first started playing Crawl i reading much Warhammer books. Apart from that I enjoy playing Draconian Conjurers or elven Fire/Air Elementalists. One note worthy thing I did was trying to play a "converted" Paladin (i.e converting to Makleb for awesome poewer... I used paladins becuase they start with long blades skill xP) - sadly this didn't go well as the "good palladin god" (whatever his name was) insisted on smiting me everytime I forgot to pray to Makhleb (or occasionally send out-of-depth angles)

BTW what versions of Crawl do you play? Beta 26? Stone Soup? "Online" Stone Soup?
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 09:05 »

I play the original, and since recently also offline Stone Soup - where it seems they've nerfed Makhleb (no more piety from pet kills), and now I've been forced into doing my own killing! BOO!

The paladin god's the Shining One, and if I've understood correctly, you can curb his wrath by "waiting" a few thousand turns between leaving him and going for Makhleb, as time is a method by which you gain piety with tSO, and therefore should work against his penance once you leave him.

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 12:07 »

I tried it, but somehow couldn't get any liking to it. I still prefer ADOM :-)
I like ADOM a LOT (damn, classes like a farmer or a blacksmith rule) , but the lack of normal shops and more villages and stuff is annoying me... it has many very nice elements and some very irritating drawbacks. Though it is pretty damn hard as well.

If only those classes were more playable and you could buy more stuff in different shops (sort of like in Angband, but i would like to see more villages) I'm sure i would stick to it for much longer time.

Getix

• Corporal
  • Always forgive, never forget.
    • View Profile
    • Getix's Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 05:07 »

Great game... Deep Elf Reaver or Deep Elf Stalker.

* Kornel Kisielewicz kills Supernaut.

My first win(*) was a Deep Elf Conjurer.. at the beginning, vulnerable like a Former Human Soldier and deadly as a Pea Shooter(cit.)...
In the end, more dangerous than a bunch of ArchViles :D ...

(*) .. and last.. :( .
http://getix.wordpress.com
Personal, Trance & Roguelike blog.

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 05:43 »

I usually play at akrasiac with some Mountain Dwarf Fighters, mainly because I am able to survive a bit longer with them :P

But I have also run the occasional Paladin or Chaos Knight. I also like Crusaders for some reason, even though I suck playing them :P
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 08:20 »

No wonder. In crawl Fighter/Mage proffesions are 100% harder to play.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 12:41 »

Here's a question - who here is aware of the multiple uses of the Horn of Geryon?

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 12:52 »

Ive never seen this item. :(
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6