Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 13:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Can't run on Phobos rock (red floor on level 1)  (Read 4284 times)

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Can't run on Phobos rock (red floor on level 1)
« on: January 26, 2007, 22:00 »

If it's not a bug, then it's a really irritating 'feature'...  there's a lot of ground between the spawn space and the building leading to Hell.

Valkeera

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Can't run on Phobos rock (red floor on level 1)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 02:50 »

I think it was intended - the Phobos surface is just too rough, so the marine can't run carelessly on it.
Angel of Death 007

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 13:20 »

Well, my problem with that is that you *can* just hold the directional key, but then if the bad guys leave the building and start shooting, unless you take your finger off the key really fast they'll get a few hits in before you can stop and possibly get more people out there as well.  It doesn't happen all that often, but it's frustrating when it does.  The only other option is repeatedly pressing the directional key and that is both boring and frustrating as well.  As I said, it's a very irritating feature, and I wish I had at least the option to get from point A (the starting area) to point B (the actual game) faster without getting plugged full of holes before I can stop (which you could do if you could only run) or tapping forward for about a minute just to get to the freakin' building without getting hit.

Plus, I don't think the first level of the original Doom limited you like this, so there doesn't seem to be a ton of point to doing this.  I mean, I can see how the first few times forcing the player to move slower would add to the atmosphere, but unless atmosphere is part of the reason you play the game (and it's not for me at least; I play because of the fun I get out of killing the imps, demons, etc. that I can only get to *after* I go down the stairs) there should at least be an option for being able to get straight to the building without having to go through a lot of hoopla.

Valkeera

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 03:02 »

Well, I never had problems with not being able to run on the first level - I've just learned to let go off the directional key right in time so as not to get shot. And after playing CastlevaniaRL and DrashRL so much, even pressing the arrow key repeatedly is no problem for me :-)
Angel of Death 007

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 08:43 »

BDR insert "Frontal = True" into the ini file -- the beta version has a special simplification that makes the first level less boring.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 10:04 »

You start on the other side of the map? :)

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 10:58 »

>_> I did do that.  In fact, that's part of the reason I'm saying it's irritating; because the enemies ran out of the building twice and got three hits in before I could react and some of the other times I held the key so long I ended up in the building and got shot there.  If I could run then I'd automatically stop as soon as I saw enemies and be able to do more about them faster, but since even when you start in front most of the turf you cross is impossible to run on (and if you do run straight there's a three tile gap of Phobos rock in your way after you get on normal space) I can't do that very well and that bugs me.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 04:47 »

Added to the buglist.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Pages: [1]