Chaosforge Forum

• May 05, 2024, 12:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How to make the most out of MVm?  (Read 2446 times)

Moonshine Fox

• Silver Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
How to make the most out of MVm?
« on: September 08, 2013, 12:40 »

Hey!

I've tried playing Vampyre a couple of times, and most people going AoB swear by it as far as I can tell. But I seem to utterly fail at it. I've had much more success going with a full melee MMB than MVm. Heck, people claim that a Pain Elemental is christmas come early for a Vampyre, but I usually end up with LESS health than before.

How exactly do you play a Vampyre and not suck at it? :) For reference, here's my last moments in my recent attempt at Vampyre:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpaPxK8JiVo
Shoot at everything that moves. If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway, it might move later.

White Rider

• Elder
  • Captain
  • Doesn't play much
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Profile
Re: How to make the most out of MVm?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 14:25 »

The reason why Pain Elementals are considered to be "christmas came early" for MVm runners is that each kill brought back 3% or whatever to your total health, regardless of what you killed. Well, USED to...as of 0.9.9.7 that's no longer the case. Now you get a fraction of health based on the max health of whatever it was that you killed. Lost Souls not being very meaty monsters, well, they have very minor healing returns now that MVm's changed.

Also: "Why are they trying to melee me?! That's not supposed to happen!"

You can force any enemy and every enemy in DoomRL to melee you if you get yourself in their melee range. Pain/Agony Elementals have a tendency to shy away from you while spewing their Lost Souls/Pain Elemental offspring to deter you but you can force them to use exclusively their melee attack if you shove your face against theirs. Needless to speak for the melee-only enemies like Demons and Lost Souls, like.

If you're playing a Melee build then you should expect enemies to melee you back. :)

I don't know what else to say for "Pain Elemental farming" since I've never personally done it...maybe tried it a few times in 0.9.9.6 when the MVm life leech mechanic hadn't been changed.
0.9.9.6: 10d 15h Arch-Vile Major; 6/6/2012 - 3/15/2013
0.9.9.7: 12d 9h Cyberdemon Br. General; 3/19/2013 - ?
V: 31 (5P 17S 9F) M: 32 I: 66 A: 40 | 26 24 19 8 1 0

Moonshine Fox

• Silver Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 16:15 »

The reason why Pain Elementals are considered to be "christmas came early" for MVm runners is that each kill brought back 3% or whatever to your total health, regardless of what you killed. Well, USED to...as of 0.9.9.7 that's no longer the case. Now you get a fraction of health based on the max health of whatever it was that you killed. Lost Souls not being very meaty monsters, well, they have very minor healing returns now that MVm's changed.
Well, THAT certainly explains why it felt like LS farming was pointless. I was working on outdated info. Thanks, that helped more than anything :)
Shoot at everything that moves. If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway, it might move later.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 23:42 »

Check the guides for references on gift-dropping tactics to maximize melee fun. Also, have you taken a good look at the souls' movement patterns? It's pretty easy, when you see them coming at you, to sidestep their charge and clobber them as they whiz right by you...
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Moonshine Fox

• Silver Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant Major
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 17:20 »

Check the guides for references on gift-dropping tactics to maximize melee fun. Also, have you taken a good look at the souls' movement patterns? It's pretty easy, when you see them coming at you, to sidestep their charge and clobber them as they whiz right by you...
Yeah, now that I know souls aren't exactly super farmable, I've gotten much better at smacking them as they fly by. ^^
Pages: [1]