Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 08:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: DoomRL Failures thread!  (Read 5886 times)

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
DoomRL Failures thread!
« on: September 15, 2013, 01:02 »

Inspired after posting my latest mortem for something petty...

Apologies if this has already been done.

We all know that feeling. You're on floor 10 of AoB, got your build going and you're indestructable. You're a man and a half. Suddenly, you find the Trigun, GCB, Antifreak Jackal, Blaster, 4 ammo crates, and a phaseshift set. ALL IN ONE FLOOR. Cry your heart out, what could have been the Gun Kata of death.

So I figured that we should have a thread to post your small failures in. Things that arn't big enough for a mortem thread.

Gogogo!
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: DoomRL Failures thread!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 01:11 »

I remember doing the City of Skulls once, on 0996 I believe, preparing to take on the Agony Elemental, already surrounded by a couple of it's younger brothers. I had a missile launcher on me, so I thought I'd empty that on the group (unaware of any fire resistances). When this wasn't getting me anywhere, I thought I'd rocketjump out of there with my last missile. Mistake number 2, since it doesn't have this alternate fire mode.

The third and final mistake was pressing alternate reload instead of alternate fire, which caused Doomguy to blissfully start loading 3 rockets into the bloody thing whilst surrounded by lost souls. Byebye Doomguy.

Another reaaallly pretty one was one of those A100 MSs runs, in which I was lucky enough to find the GCB as well. I'd taken cover behind a corner and was firing away at a Mancubus (betrayed by having INT2) which would be on the edge of my LOS had I attempted to face it head on. All was going well until I half missed the 'f' key on a shot and ran into the open instead of moving the fire cursor. Ate about 5 rockets in one second.

The beauty was that, because I'd already hammered in the entire path the fire cursor should take, I would move 1 square, take a rocket and suffer knockback, move another, etcetc. I was staring at my screen open mouthed as Doomguy appeared to dance himself to death :S
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 02:51 »

Aw man! That second story happened to me earlier in Hell's Armory, except with an arachnotron. Wasn't pretty.

I went to do the military base for the first time not knowing what to expect. Ducked around a corner not knowing what was there, got hit in the face by some kind of Plasma rifle BFG thing. Luckily I had blue armor on and had 150% hp, so I hung on. Barely. Learnt my lesson really quick.
[0.9.9.7]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 03:56 »

I went to do the military base for the first time not knowing what to expect. Ducked around a corner not knowing what was there, got hit in the face by some kind of Plasma rifle BFG thing. Luckily I had blue armor on and had 150% hp, so I hung on. Barely. Learnt my lesson really quick.

Good call, reminds me of this little pearl...

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 04:01 »

Good call, reminds me of this little pearl...

Should have a standardized meme we can use for Sergeants:

[0.9.9.7]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 04:06 »

Yeah, that but with a gory dripping stump where Whitey's head was attached to its body a second earlier :)

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 07:24 »

Removed my own post because despite the inactivity, I didn't know whether double posting in this thread would be okay. :x

What's the failure?

Took me way too long. =_=

Did find a good way of farming Mancubi though, for anyone who's having trouble - Angel of Overconfidence and pick HMP, keep restarting the first level if you can't hear any noises. It'l cut down on it.
[0.9.9.7]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 07:31 »

I don't think double-posting is really an issue here...

As to the achievements: I'm pretty anal retentive about scoring medals and badges, but the experience ranks don't mean that much to me. The medals and badges require some effort, at least, the experience rank just requires you to play often enough to rack up the kills - you don't even have to leave ITYTD to do so (to quite some extent, I think).

Which is probably why I nearly totally skipped Mancubus on 0996; by the time I got good enough to start running into them, I was only a fistful of HK kills short...

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 07:44 »

You shouldn't have to leave ITYTD for anything but the Apostle rank (? I don't know much about this but it needs 500 full wins?), but it would be incredibly grindy.

On that note, what would you think of a DoomRL achievements threads, for those little things? Do you think the community is too small for these kind of threads?
[0.9.9.7]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 07:47 »

Do you think the community is too small for these kind of threads?

No, at the moment you and I are just too active :)

Give em Hell, you'll get lots of response if you give it a couple of days.

Eyro

• Sergeant
  • Self replenishing superheated material thrower. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 07:50 »

Everytime I pull a lever without a second thought.

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 07:54 »

Perhaps i'm just too used to being active...

Yeah, levers. That's a big one Eyro. Pulling a spawn lever on AoOc and getting Vs...*shudder*
[0.9.9.7]

Eyro

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 10:45 »

It's OK to be active; I check the forums constantly and am likely to respond unless I literally have no idea about the subject.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 10:51 »

My latest is trying to go for Quartermaster Angelic and having a good set of supplies and a good kill ratio and well on my way to achieving it, but then running out of time two squares away from the exit.  *Sigh*

Spoiler: Mortem (click to show/hide)

Another reaaallly pretty one was one of those A100 MSs runs, in which I was lucky enough to find the GCB as well. I'd taken cover behind a corner and was firing away at a Mancubus (betrayed by having INT2) which would be on the edge of my LOS had I attempted to face it head on. All was going well until I half missed the 'f' key on a shot and ran into the open instead of moving the fire cursor. Ate about 5 rockets in one second.

The beauty was that, because I'd already hammered in the entire path the fire cursor should take, I would move 1 square, take a rocket and suffer knockback, move another, etcetc. I was staring at my screen open mouthed as Doomguy appeared to dance himself to death :S

I've had this happen to me far too many times.  It wouldn't be an issue if not for the fact that any time you aim into an area you can't see, it forces you to re-aim the next shot.  Since corner-shooting is a big part of DoomRL, the game conditions you to rapidly tap arrow keys a lot if you need to corner-shoot the same, out-of-view square over and over again.  Frankly, I don't understand why the game does this, when you consider that it has no problem targeting the same square over and over again if you choose one that's in view, and I've considered requesting that the Devteam fix that, but it's really only an issue in console mode, and I know that there are probably very few people left who play console mode, so I'm guessing this is a really low priority for them.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 12:05 by Tormuse »
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Eyro

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 11:04 »

Well I just right click the square... I suppose I'm the only one that uses graphics? o.o Or does manually firing allow you better angles for cornershooting?
Pages: [1] 2  All