Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 15:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Assemblies  (Read 4454 times)

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
Assemblies
« on: September 15, 2013, 08:17 »

Apologies if this has been done before, since I know it's not a new feature.

What's your take on the current assemblies? Which ones are useful? Which ones arn't? Is it worth taking the 2 levels in Whizkid for the latter ones? What do YOU think?
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

wheals

• Supporter
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Assemblies
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 08:45 »

A few thoughts from a relative newb (1st lieutenant Hell Knight):
I like that advanced/master assemblies are not so powerful that WK 2 is a must, but at the same time they can really make a game much easier.
Specific assemblies:
Gatling gun: I feel like this might almost be too good. I assemble it almost every rapid-fire run, unless I find lots of energy cells before a second bulk mod.
Tactical shotgun: Same, but even moreso. I'm not really sure what to do about it, though. I mean, I wouldn't say it's overpowered, but it sometimes comes close to required.
Tactical rocket launcher: Not really sure what the point of this is? Is it better in any way than a missile launcher?
Burst cannon: so inaccurate that it requires lots of EE, such a huge use of bullets it requires MAc. Therefore, only useful in AoMC, as far as I can tell.
Assault rifle: like the tactical rocket launcher, I'm not really sure what situation this is useful in. Could someone help me out?
Focused Double Shotgun: lots of fun, but it's very dumb that it is LITERALLY the same as a super shotgun. It doesn't have to be better or worse, I jut feel like I'd prefer it being different somehow.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 08:59 »

Focused Double Shotgun: lots of fun, but it's very dumb that it is LITERALLY the same as a super shotgun. It doesn't have to be better or worse, I jut feel like I'd prefer it being different somehow.

But it is. From the focused double shotgun page:

This weapon fires two shots. Note that the shots are sequential, so knockback and terrain damage from the first blast are applied before the second blast occurs.

The difference is slight, but it's there.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 09:05 »

This weapon fires two shots. Note that the shots are sequential, so knockback and terrain damage from the first blast are applied before the second blast occurs.

That's the difference. 8d4 vs 9d3 and focused double shotgun has normal shotgun spread.

I personally don't think that's worth 3 mod packs, especially seeing as you could get a Tactical shotgun or use PPN to get an unlimited double shotty (I REMEMBER! WHEN THE SHOTGUN WAS 6d3 AND IT DID FINE! 6d3! INFINITE DOUBLE SHOTTY OP! /oldtimer /inb4 shot)
[0.9.9.7]

Eyro

• Sergeant
  • Self replenishing superheated material thrower. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 10:48 »

I feel like there should be more "Unique" master assemblies, where it requires a specific item and makes a specific item, like Ripper.

I also think that, like, some of the assemblies just look useless on paper. Tactical shotgun pretty much is THE shotgun except for some circumstances (Uniques, Elephant gun on some builds).

wheals

• Supporter
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 11:02 »

I'm pretty sure they're sequential on a super shotty as well, but if they aren't (haven't really used one in a while) then that's OK.

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 12:04 »

Double shotties do two sequential hits. It was like this in 0.9.9 and before, and Thomas reminded me of this fact only the other day - I'd take Thomas's word on it alone since he's a great source, but if you wanted additional confirmation check the wiki screenshots I posted, or check ingame - you'll be able to tell in command mode and by the knockback.

I feel like there should be more "Unique" master assemblies, where it requires a specific item and makes a specific item, like Ripper.

I also think that, like, some of the assemblies just look useless on paper. Tactical shotgun pretty much is THE shotgun except for some circumstances (Uniques, Elephant gun on some builds).

Whew, wanted to wait for someone else to say something controversial since I knew i'd take a lot of flak for it!

I agree but on a slightly different point, if that makes sense. Rather, I think that some of the assemblies are too "expensive" or "rare", rather then "Useless'. The first thing a lot of people would call "Useless" would be the chainsword (Knife + PB, Knife becomes 8d2 and +1 accuracy), but it speeds up a knife run by a LOT, i'm guessing.

The Tower Shield (Red Armor + PO) gives a whopping 12 protection, but has only 150 durability which is eaten through quite fast due to the lack of resistances - which can make even the common green armor useful nowdays. It seems too little benefit for an Onyx mod pack - Those are quite rare and you could make a very arguable case for simply using the onyx on a red armor and ditching other armors to have more inventory space to facilitate healing/tactics/more dakka. It also cannot be repaired, meaning those little armor shards won't do anything for you. The -50% movement speed just seals the deal.

Another is the Cybernano armor (Armor + PPON, Original Protection + 4, infinite dura). Requiring not just 1, but 2 rare mod packs, and is cursed. The effect of this assembly could be mimiced by simply PPO, as Whizkid 2 will allow that for you. It also doesn't make it cursed. The only benefit that the Cybernano armor holds over Armor + PPO then, is the ability to have the finished assembly modded once more with a modpack - Meaning to get the benefits of the cybernano armor, which arn't really that great compared to PPO or even a nanofibre armor (Armor + PPN, Original + 25% all resistances, Cursed, indestructable, regenerates), you have to use a whopping 5 modpacks. That's not practical outside of Ao666, and even then there's better options.

Double Chainsaw (Chainsaw + PPB, Chainsaw becomes 8d6, loses two accuracy) shouldn't lose two accuracy. Might be a moot point since Brute gives melee tohit, but it just doesn't seem right. You should also have a small chance, one every 20 hits, to go berserk with it equipped because YOU'RE A MAN AND A HALF WITH 2 CHAINSAWS

Environmental boots (Boots + PBT, +75% lava/acid, Caps at 90%) should be buffed a little bit, if you're applying something that's not A to boots you should reap the rewards. Make it 95/99% or something like that, or remove the -25% speed penalty. Also, this could use some tweaking:

It should just have 200% dura and +2 protection period, unless there's an issue with coding and that's understandable.

And those are a few examples. Will pause to let others have their say though =o
[0.9.9.7]

Eyro

• Sergeant
  • Self replenishing superheated material thrower. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 12:30 »

Well, when I meant useless, I didn't mean literally useless, I just meant "It may as well be useless" since their are better alternatives.

Environmental boots seem fine to me, I just plop them on Plasteel boots and I take 2% damage from lava and acid, good enough, in my eyes, even considering the mod packs. However, I do agree that mod ORDER affecting it seems odd.

As for other assemblies, generic ones seem boring. Functional, but boring.

DOUBLE CHAINSAW and RIPPER and HYPERBLASTER just sound MUCH more fun. :3

I wouldn't mind a knife master assembly so that way melees could get a respectable melee weapon in A100/A666 since chainsaw is not Garen'Td in those levels, as far as I'm aware.

Shotguns assemblies in general -really- need to be looked at, Tactical shouldn't be king.

Armors and Boots have a lot of generics but feel more filled out and you have options.

wheals

• Supporter
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 16:22 »

Another is the Cybernano armor (Armor + PPON, Original Protection + 4, infinite dura). Requiring not just 1, but 2 rare mod packs, and is cursed. The effect of this assembly could be mimiced by simply PPO, as Whizkid 2 will allow that for you. It also doesn't make it cursed. The only benefit that the Cybernano armor holds over Armor + PPO then, is the ability to have the finished assembly modded once more with a modpack - Meaning to get the benefits of the cybernano armor, which arn't really that great compared to PPO or even a nanofibre armor (Armor + PPN, Original + 25% all resistances, Cursed, indestructable, regenerates), you have to use a whopping 5 modpacks. That's not practical outside of Ao666, and even then there's better options.

Double Chainsaw (Chainsaw + PPB, Chainsaw becomes 8d6, loses two accuracy) shouldn't lose two accuracy. Might be a moot point since Brute gives melee tohit, but it just doesn't seem right. You should also have a small chance, one every 20 hits, to go berserk with it equipped because YOU'RE A MAN AND A HALF WITH 2 CHAINSAWS

Environmental boots (Boots + PBT, +75% lava/acid, Caps at 90%) should be buffed a little bit, if you're applying something that's not A to boots you should reap the rewards. Make it 95/99% or something like that, or remove the -25% speed penalty. Also, this could use some tweaking:

Apparently this changed since you were around, but PPO is impossible.You can only apply one mod of each type to an armour. I think that cybernano is kind of for when you've found an onyx mod and applied it, but you want to make a useful assembly out of it later. PO red armour is good enough on its own, I'm sure that P Cybernano red is worth the packs.

Maybe environmental boots should just set the resistances to 80%. It might be too similar to cerberus, then, though. Also, the wiki thing you quoted was a bug and is fixed in 0.997.

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 17:23 »

Apparently this changed since you were around, but PPO is impossible.You can only apply one mod of each type to an armour. I think that cybernano is kind of for when you've found an onyx mod and applied it, but you want to make a useful assembly out of it later. PO red armour is good enough on its own, I'm sure that P Cybernano red is worth the packs.

OTL

I forgot about that. Many apologies.

It's still not worth it in my opinion though.

[0.9.9.7]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 17:32 »

Apparently this changed since you were around, but PPO is impossible.You can only apply one mod of each type to an armour.
Ordinarily, yes.  However, if you place the second P last, it will trigger the valid assembly checking code before it yells at you that you can't mod the armour with another P.
I computed, therefore I was.

Aki

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 18:07 »

That's in regards to the assembly though. The mistake that I made was saying that you could simply put PPO on a normal armor, which you can't. PPO isn't an assembly, the one in question was PPON.
[0.9.9.7]

Buzzard

• Bronze Supporter
  • Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 07:45 »

A few thoughts from a relative newb (1st lieutenant Hell Knight):
I like that advanced/master assemblies are not so powerful that WK 2 is a must, but at the same time they can really make a game much easier.
Specific assemblies:
Gatling gun: I feel like this might almost be too good. I assemble it almost every rapid-fire run, unless I find lots of energy cells before a second bulk mod.
Tactical shotgun: Same, but even moreso. I'm not really sure what to do about it, though. I mean, I wouldn't say it's overpowered, but it sometimes comes close to required.
Tactical rocket launcher: Not really sure what the point of this is? Is it better in any way than a missile launcher?
Burst cannon: so inaccurate that it requires lots of EE, such a huge use of bullets it requires MAc. Therefore, only useful in AoMC, as far as I can tell.
Assault rifle: like the tactical rocket launcher, I'm not really sure what situation this is useful in. Could someone help me out?
Assault Rifle used to be good but at this point it's pretty much a legacy item. It's pretty much worthless. The Burst Cannon does have one very niche (but amazing) use outside of AoMC: Making a Laser Burst Cannon on an Ammochain run.
Hell Baron Captain [16/12/8/0/0]
Pages: [1]