Chaosforge Forum

• April 26, 2024, 08:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: help from the great ones plz?  (Read 8884 times)

Santiago Zapata

• Temple Guardian
  • Backer
  • First Lieutenant
  • Roguelike Developer
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
Re: help from the great ones plz?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 07:15 »

[...]
RLs are great. Keep one around, [...]

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :D
Slash (Castlevania, Metroid, Drash, ZeldaRL)
Temple of The Roguelike
Slashie.net

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 08:26 »

Only risk of that is that you might instead hear explosions, and now all those wonderful items you could have gotten are gone.

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 14:25 »

Only risk of that is that you might instead hear explosions, and now all those wonderful items you could have gotten are gone.
And that works almost always with shotguns. Another point that chaingun can be more useful.

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 20:19 »

ok great, now i know that CG is bit better than a shotgun :)   

now... i was wondering again, how about a double shotty vs  chainsaw?  i use the doubleshotty mostly on melee range, and that makes me think, does it do more damage than a chainsaw? i know its 2 times the damage, but how about the non reloading chainsaw? wich one does more damage in the end?

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 12:56 »

And that works almost always with shotguns. Another point that chaingun can be more useful.
Most barrels don't explode by a long-range SG shell (ONE shell), so it's often worth the risk - mostly if you're not using Intuiition.

SGs never miss; CSs often do. CSs don't require ammo; SGs reload slowly. SGs will blast appart also things behind your target, for better or for worse; CSs are 1-target weapons, for better or for worse. I prefer carrying around a DblSG and 50 shells than I do a CS, but the Berserk path is still much better than the Reloader path - especially once you do the Unholy Cathedral. Question is, can you spare at least 3 ranks on purely melee traits?

Fingerzam

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 14:18 »

I like (double)shotguns very much. The point in shotguns is, as some have already pointed out, the area of effect. Every time you have multiple enemies in sight you should aim to hurt the most of them with a single shot, and if possible, taking cover to reload, at least before shottyman. They also autohit everything, which is a nice thing.

Once you have killed 10-20 lost souls with a single shot you just can't resist shotties anymore (at least I couldn't after my all-you-can-eat exp fun at the City of Skulls with a Shottyman)

Shotguns are also much less vulnerable to armoured enemies. As many have also pointed out, shotties aren't that effective at longer ranges. For those I usually have my advanced RL, which gets a nice benefit from Reloader, making it a much more effective weapon. Also, if there's a group of enemies out of sight, doubleshotty can be useful, as you will be hurting all of 'em at the same time. I've killed lots of arachs at those nasty caves like this (they seem to hang around in gangs every now and then).

Are shotties actually more useful than CGs?
I don't know, I just use 'em 'cause I like 'em.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 14:20 by Fingerzam »
Pages: 1 [2]  All