General > Off Topic

Online dice probability calculator

(1/2) > >>

ZicherCZ:
Now there's something I've been trying to find for quite some time - a calculator to which you can input a dice notation and the calculator will display the chance of the roll being higher or lower than a certain result.
For example, what's the chance of killing a demon with one BFG shot?
Now we know that a BFG is 10d6 damage, demon has 2 armor and 25 HP, so what's the probability of 10d6 >= 27?

I found the calculator here at anydice.com. I thought about sharing this with the rest of us here.

By the way, the probability of the example is over 94% :).

thelaptop:
Um.  By Law of Large Numbers, as the number of dice and sides go up (xdy), the distribution tends towards a normal distribution with μ = xE[dy] ~ x (1+y)/2, and σ² = Var[xdy], with an abuse of notation.

So your question can be recast into a "simple" look up on the normal distribution.

>.<

But the site is still cool.  Heheheheh...

slave:
I have used Wolfram Alpha for calculating these probabilities. The site you used is better for that purpose though.

--- Quote ---For example, what's the chance of killing a demon with one BFG shot?
Now we know that a BFG is 10d6 damage, demon has 2 armor and 25 HP, so what's the probability of 10d6 >= 27?

--- End quote ---

Also, you probably know that, but the BFG deals plasma damage, which means that you should calculate the probability for 10d6 >= 26, since the effect of armor is halved.

emulord:
This could be VERY useful for determining how many levels of Brute to take before taking other skills in a Angel of Berzerk run

ZicherCZ:
Thelaptop, that was a sample question. In fact, my motivation to find a site like this dates back to the time when WIKICOMP was still active. Plus, I was not asking for an average nor standard deviation ;).

--- Quote from: slave on September 20, 2013, 08:28 ---Also, you probably know that, but the BFG deals plasma damage, which means that you should calculate the probability for 10d6 >= 26, since the effect of armor is halved.

--- End quote ---
Oops, you caught me here. Even as a sample question, it should have been a correct question.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version