Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 14:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Online dice probability calculator  (Read 7627 times)

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
Online dice probability calculator
« on: September 20, 2013, 05:21 »

Now there's something I've been trying to find for quite some time - a calculator to which you can input a dice notation and the calculator will display the chance of the roll being higher or lower than a certain result.
For example, what's the chance of killing a demon with one BFG shot?
Now we know that a BFG is 10d6 damage, demon has 2 armor and 25 HP, so what's the probability of 10d6 >= 27?

I found the calculator here at anydice.com. I thought about sharing this with the rest of us here.

By the way, the probability of the example is over 94% :).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 05:24 by ZicherCZ »
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: Online dice probability calculator
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 07:59 »

Um.  By Law of Large Numbers, as the number of dice and sides go up (xdy), the distribution tends towards a normal distribution with μ = xE[dy] ~ x (1+y)/2, and σ² = Var[xdy], with an abuse of notation.

So your question can be recast into a "simple" look up on the normal distribution.

>.<

But the site is still cool.  Heheheheh...
I computed, therefore I was.

slave

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 08:28 »

I have used Wolfram Alpha for calculating these probabilities. The site you used is better for that purpose though.

For example, what's the chance of killing a demon with one BFG shot?
Now we know that a BFG is 10d6 damage, demon has 2 armor and 25 HP, so what's the probability of 10d6 >= 27?

Also, you probably know that, but the BFG deals plasma damage, which means that you should calculate the probability for 10d6 >= 26, since the effect of armor is halved.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 08:34 by slave »

emulord

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 12:34 »

This could be VERY useful for determining how many levels of Brute to take before taking other skills in a Angel of Berzerk run

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 02:00 »

Thelaptop, that was a sample question. In fact, my motivation to find a site like this dates back to the time when WIKICOMP was still active. Plus, I was not asking for an average nor standard deviation ;).

Also, you probably know that, but the BFG deals plasma damage, which means that you should calculate the probability for 10d6 >= 26, since the effect of armor is halved.
Oops, you caught me here. Even as a sample question, it should have been a correct question.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 08:21 »

Um.  By Law of Large Numbers, as the number of dice and sides go up (xdy), the distribution tends towards a normal distribution with μ = xE[dy] ~ x (1+y)/2, and σ² = Var[xdy], with an abuse of notation.

So your question can be recast into a "simple" look up on the normal distribution.

>.<

But the site is still cool.  Heheheheh...
Maybe one could keep that method for in case someone is looking. Then one can show off what a cool math geek he is. :P
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!
Pages: [1]