Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 17:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Color-coded extended Cateye LOS  (Read 4613 times)

White Rider

• Elder
  • Captain
  • Doesn't play much
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Profile
Color-coded extended Cateye LOS
« on: September 25, 2013, 21:03 »

Any chance this could be a thing? Maybe highlight the +2 LOS tiles could be in a light/transparent yellow to tell the player what is in the extended Cateye LOS. Could be useful to tell when some enemies are potentially in firing range and you need to make a decision to run away or keep attacking. Stuff.
0.9.9.6: 10d 15h Arch-Vile Major; 6/6/2012 - 3/15/2013
0.9.9.7: 12d 9h Cyberdemon Br. General; 3/19/2013 - ?
V: 31 (5P 17S 9F) M: 32 I: 66 A: 40 | 26 24 19 8 1 0

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
Re: Color-coded extended Cateye LOS
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 21:08 »

Second this and add it to the goggles powerup. Perhaps make it a toggleable option in the config.
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 21:10 »

That... makes no sense.  If you have MCe, anything on the outer two tiles of your LOS are already in your extended LOS -- I don't see an added benefit for highlighting that.

I'm going to assume that you mean only MCe and not 2xInt highlighting, which is a completely different animal.
I computed, therefore I was.

White Rider

• Elder
  • Captain
  • Doesn't play much
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 21:21 »

The 2 additional tiles added to your LOS as a result of MCe. The ones you don't normally get without MCe.
I want those highlighted--no, not like the magenta X that you see with Int2. I mean the tiles themselves; those get color-coded. So then if I have MCe I know if any enemy "sees" me or not if it's at the very border of my extended LOS.
0.9.9.6: 10d 15h Arch-Vile Major; 6/6/2012 - 3/15/2013
0.9.9.7: 12d 9h Cyberdemon Br. General; 3/19/2013 - ?
V: 31 (5P 17S 9F) M: 32 I: 66 A: 40 | 26 24 19 8 1 0

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 21:35 »

My point here is that the moment you get MCe, you (as in the player) should already remember that the last two tiles of your LOS are courtesy of MCe.  I don't see a point in having those highlighted at all.  It's not as though the physical representation of the LOS isn't increased when you took a point of MCe.

I am very hesitant with mucking around with the screen-map to generate specific effects -- all effects that are done in graphics mode need to be backported to ASCII mode, and Kornel has the view of not implementing background highlights in ASCII mode, ever.

I think that the current amount of information provided is sufficient, unlike say the number of shots in a rapid fire weapon as displayed when you have TH.  That is not reflected anywhere, so suddenly your Pancor Jackhammer under 2xTH fires a volley of 5 instead of the highlighted 3, or when your chaingun suddenly fires 6 shots instead of 4.
I computed, therefore I was.

Eyro

• Sergeant
  • Self replenishing superheated material thrower. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 06:31 »

I think part of the reason is so you know without a doubt whether an enemy can see you or not. However, I can see your point on why it's unnecessary, you can just go two squares in from the edge to see if they are or not.

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 06:42 »

In fact, in tiles you already _can_ see whether a monster can see you, and is indicated by the aiming cross being red, while the borders are green (meaning that you can see it). Isn't Cateye's outer edge displayed similarly when you target a monster there?
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

shark20061

• Programmer
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 18:36 »

It is not.  The X only takes into account whether there is a direct line (using the monster's sight method) between you and the space, regardless of distance.  Spaces in the extended vision of Cateye or Light-Amps could show as green if they have a direct path to your space.

In reference to the OP, the use of such a display would be incorrect anyway.  Demons, for instance, have a vision range 1 less than yours.  Some enemies (Cyberdemons, for instance) can attack you beyond your normal vision range.  It would also look confusing in console mode.  I don't think it would provide much of a benefit.
Hell Knight Warrant Officer (0.9.9.4)  [26!/8/3/1/0]

Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant (0.9.9.6)  [22/12/3/0/0]
M:16 S:43 (126) A:17
Pages: [1]