Chaosforge Forum

• April 25, 2024, 00:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Idea: implementation of a KeyMovie variant for faster online Crawling  (Read 16637 times)

Glowie

• IRC-Op
  • Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
    • Frozen Depths

Or imagine 2 player cooperative Doom. Maaaaan ;) .

I'm not sure if you meant DoomRL or the original Dooms, because the original Dooms can be played in co-op mode with a friend.

Aside from that, I just wanted to say that Kornel's idea about the shared world and bloody scrolls with dying messages is fantastic! I think it could work really well and show the true potential of network roguelikes. I can already imagine dozens of players fighting in the same shared world while chatting on IRC or leaving scrolls for each other in the town. It could also bring the roguelike community a bit closer together. Definitely worth a try if you ask me!

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile

Adral - I think you're way off.
Again, I'm talking SINGLE PLAYER ONLINE PLAY, just like Crawl!'s doing now. I'm talking about a method for information travel that will enable *these games exactly*, with nothing new in terms of context, to be played using less bandwidth, so the games will lag less, or if my guess is correct, much, much, much less.
The idea is based on the fact that RNGs aren't random, but are based on certain values. This is counted on with KeyMovies, and I'm hoping it can be counted on here, to give the same results on multiple tries and on multiple machines, being dependent only on the initial value contained in the RNG and on a sequence of keystrokes.

The way you described it it is very prone to cheating (any MMORPG designer will tell you that). Foremost, the player can intercept the sent data and see the level he currently visits xD.

The way I understand it, it is no more prone to cheating than is an offline game. Likely much less, as you can't effectively alter char stats and level design without interacting with the host, nor can you savescum. Yes, the player will be able to access the files which are on his computer at the time, and unless a solution will be found, that's a tradeoff. Possibly, both this method for information travel and the current one can be used, the current one being considered more trustworthy in terms of mortem believability. But for this one problem I'm quite certain a solution can be found.
However, I'm still mostly thinking on the lines of online single player games, so I'm not sure I understand where MMORPG desginers come in.

Anyway, these are the kinds of things that should be discussed and dealt with, so as long as something can be suggested to solve the problem, I'm not too worried.

Another possible problem with this info-travel method might be the player simply playing offline through multiple scenarios, on a copied version of his online game (i.e. using those files that he has to simulate play on that single dlvl), then picking a safe course of action once one has been tested for.
This can be solved by having a modified RNG value being sent over from the host as a response to player action. The modified value will, of course, be the one used on the hosts next duplicated action. That means sending one action guest-to-host followed by an RNG value sent host-to-guest, which is still much less information traveling than there is currently. To prevent the player from "precognating" his one next action, the new value is recieved right *after* the player's next action.
So, it should come out:
  • Player action keyed;
  • Host recieves keystroke; host modifies own RNG; host completes action; host sends RNG modification;
  • Player corrects to modification; player completes action; player action keyed (i.e. back to square one)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 09:39 by TFoN »

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile

I still think that cooperative D&D - like  Roguelike games  would be loads of fun, even though Roguelikes were intended to be Sp. Say what you want, but being able to help your mate and share the experience in dungeon would be loads of fun in my opinion (no i haven't tried Tomenet, but it looks like they didn't make it worth a try ;) )

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Adral - I think you're way off.

Yep, I really was. But thank you very much for the explanation, as my head today is not at its better state and I found it difficult to follow all the ideas on the thread :)
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile

No problem :P

Now all I need is a response from the Crawl! crew - is this idea in any way useful?

dpeg

• Private
    • View Profile

No problem :P

Now all I need is a response from the Crawl! crew - is this idea in any way useful?

I am in the Crawl devteam. IMO, the idea is good. It has two obvious drawbacks:
1) It forces players to have a Crawl at their local machine.
2) The changes to dgamelaunch (not Crawl!) will be nontrivial :)

I consider 1) to be very important. Having the possibility to play Crawl without downloads is very valuable. Hence we'd need two versions of dgamelaunch (one for players with local Crawl and another one for those without). For 2), I think the folks running akrasiac are rather happy everything works as-is. So the whole idea is more of a long shot. BTW, your idea could be applied to all similar online games (e.g. Nethack, that's why it's dgamelaunch to be patched rather than Crawl).

The benefits would be obvious as well. Since everything is running smoothly on akrasiac, I suggest to patiently wait until the Crawl server becomes really big. There will be a time when decreasing bandwidth is worth the trouble.

David

TFoN, did you get a non-debug version by now?

Aerton

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • First Lieutenant
    • View Profile

1) It forces players to have a Crawl at their local machine of exactly the same version as on server

Minor, but important detail.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile

I see. Excellent :)

As you may have read here, we've also considered several other possible drawbacks to this system (mostly regarding cheating potential), so that it should be in addition to, and not instead of, the current system is agreed upon.
I also realize that this system could be implemented elsewhere if it'd work here, but didn't want to jump ahead of myself, 'cause I wasn't sure it would, in fact, work :) Hence my reluctance to seriously consider a MMORLRPG used through it. But if you say it should, then please, spread the word. I could do it myself, but I'll need to first know who/where's best to turn to.

When I wrote about possibly changing Crawl, it was responding to Aerton writing that real parameters would have to not be used, for this to work. I'm not aware enough of the source code, or of how things work in general, to know whether or not real parameters are used in Crawl or if this would even be that serious a problem in the first place.
That said, I'm not quite aware of dgamelaunch either, so that's also beyond me at the moment. If you can enlighten me in any way, please do :)

For now, thanks for letting me know I'm useful ;) , and please keep me posted!

About that non-debug version - that's Supernaut, and I'm not sure if he'd already DLd one.
Pages: 1 [2]  All