Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 18:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Do I still need my cerberus armor?  (Read 4066 times)

Zarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Do I still need my cerberus armor?
« on: October 02, 2013, 16:40 »

Hello,
I've assembled a cerberus armor somewhat early in Ao100. Even before then, I created some steel lava boots. Later on, I found Lava Armor and, on levels 56 and 58, Inquisitor's Set (boots first, then armor). I'm playing a Bullet Dance Marine with maxed out SoAG (5) and SoB (5), with Triggerhappy still at 1. I'm going to work on Tough as Nails and Badass next. I also have some assault nuclear plasma rifle, which also packs quite a punch, though not nearly as much as my combat pistol (PPT - why did I decline to assemble an energy pistol I honestly can't say) and a speedloader pistol.

The question is: do I really need that cerberus armor anymore? It's a regular one, so no melee, bullet and shrapnel resistance, and it's the only one needing armor shards.

Any opinions are welcome.

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
Re: Do I still need my cerberus armor?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 18:16 »

The inquisitor's set saves you from Cyberdemons, Viles, Revs, lava elementals and mancubi, just off the top of my head. That leaves you with Shamblers, Bruiser brothers, and arachnotrons - everything else should be trivial by that stage.

The shamblers and bruiser brothers will deal less average damage but more maximum damage to the inquisitor's set. I'm too lazy to do the maths on the arachnotrons, but i'm fairly certain just looking at the numbers that the Cerberus should be better against them unless the halving of armor takes malek's down to 2 instead of 1.

If you're confident enough to take on those 3 enemies without your Cerberus, then you should be right without it.
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

Zarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 07:16 »

Thanks for the advice!

Arachnotrons should be handled by Lava Armor well enough, and, with lava boots, I have plenty of opportunities to repair the armor :). This leaves acid as the only serious element. I do kill Bruiser Brothers in 2-3 volleys unless they manage to wear something big like Cybernetic Armor (man, is it common in my run!). I'm starting to get Nightmare enemies, up to cacodemons now, but they, too, die quickly enough.

My main concern is, of course, ammo (duh!), so I don't want to carry more extra items than necessary. I'm even considering dropping one or two of my 4 large med-kits, as I haven't used one in ages.

Eyro

• Sergeant
  • Self replenishing superheated material thrower. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 13:39 »

Then you're dropped into a complex filled with nightmare Arachnotrons.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 13:44 »

I'm even considering dropping one or two of my 4 large med-kits, as I haven't used one in ages.

Don't know what difficulty you're on, but on HNTR you should be find with only 2, if you play at least moderately carefully.

Then you're dropped into a complex filled with nightmare Arachnotrons.

...maybe three...
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Zarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 08:31 »

I've just finished (on HNTR), and actually never used a single med-pack since I started this thread. Never unloaded a single ammo chain (out of 8) either! I carried around triple bulk-modified Minigun, and unloaded (and reloaded later) it when I got too low on ammo. Never took off my Inquisitor Set anyway, so discarded lava boots and lava armor in the end. Assembled another cerberus armor based on duelist (50% melee, bullet and shrapnel resist on top of the elementals) just to make sure it retains those physical resistances, but never used it anyway. I didn't engage in melee much (what with the huge knockback from two combat pistols supported by SoAG(5) and SoB(5) :)), and former soldiers die to one volley, elite or not. I'll try to repeat the experience on HMP now...

By the way, assault nuclear plasma rifle was also quite instrumental in my victory, letting me mow down those lost souls left after Agony Elementals without ammo loss. Oh, and destroy crates which might contain some stuff.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 11:57 »

\h, and destroy crates which might contain some stuff.

Crates likely to yield bounty can be destroyed with anything.

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 15:52 »

But the nuclear plasma does do it for free (more or less).

Actually, what's the minimum damage to destroy walls with plasma? I know boxes are a fair bit easier than walls, but with SoB(5) you might be getting close to wall destruction as well for the n.plasma rifle. Saving you both rockets and bullets. I might do a MAc run today and play around with it (or just a WK(2) run and mod up a nice n.plasma). Knockback might make it pointless, but it'll still be fun.

Edit: Never mind. It's 10 HP per wall tile, with 10 armour (halved to 5 due to it being shot with plasma). 15 HP for one plasma bullet isn't undoable. 1d7+5+d3 will do it, so a plasma rifle with 3 power mods and SoB(5) it is then. Why? Don't know. It might be fun. Then I'll just hope for a nano-mod. Incidently, crates are 5HP with 5 armour. I really should look up the wiki more before posting.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 16:14 by Sambojin »

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 00:21 »

But the nuclear plasma does do it for free (more or less).

True. On the other hand, if ammo's an issue, you can usually find another weapon lying around. Makes me wonder if it's possible to just punch them apart with no melee traits.
Pages: [1]