Jupiter Hell > General Discussion

Jupiter Hell: What Happens When Two Games Love Each Other Very Much

(1/3) > >>

LuckyDee:
Right, squeaky clean board - time for some action.

As you will have seen by now, both by the changes in the ChaosForge Team (among which I am fortunate enough to count myself) and by the teaser that was launched this weekend, stuff is happening behind the scenes. Although I want to leave it to Kornel to start presenting you with proper details, I at least want to inform you that up until this point close to 700 posts have been devoted to plotting Jupiter Hell, with a lot of really exciting stuff being put on display. A lot of the content is still being invented and discussed, but this discussion takes place in an arena founded on a well thought out concept and an equally well formulated vision, all courtesy of the big man behind the scenes.

Jupiter Hell has gotten the informal subtitle 'spiritual successor to DoomRL', and it will be just that: in some significant ways it will be different than the DoomRL you've come to know and love, but the essence of the game will be the same. In general terms it would be fair to say that the mechanics will be based on the same principles that make DoomRL a great game, and that the story and background are an homage to Doom itself. There will of course be more to Jupiter Hell than just these two factors, but since these will strike a chord with every single of you, I'd like you to step up to the mic and have your say about them.

What is it that makes DoomRL that leaves you begging for more even though you get slaughtered at least every other game? What would you definitely like to see in its younger brother? What could be improved, or added? And about the background of the original Doom; what features made it shine? What enemies made you drop your jaw when you first saw them, and for what reason?

ZicherCZ:
OK, LD. I'm sending you a Fallen London pack of live rodents right now for teasing me like this. Just you wait till I draw the card.

Anyway, to answer your question - DoomRL is a roguelike, and I like pretty much all that makes this genre distinctive - huge replayabality and the need to actually care about my character due to permadeath (this is why I also always try to one-credit arcade beat-em-ups). DoomRL then has its distinctive point at being quick and dirty, with loads of action from the very first shot to the victory. This pretty much sums it up for me, and I believe all of Chaosforge will do their best to make Jupiter Hell something to remember.

Good luck with that.

2birds1stone:
Answering as a relative newbie to the game and the board:

DoomRL's strongest feature is the way the game punishes every mistake and rewards good play. I realized, after my nth bad spawn, that bad spawns don't (or very rarely) kill players; it's a lack of preparation for them which does it. Sufficiently bad screw-ups can kill the player immediately, or be punished by the RNG, but in the vanilla game, the RNG almost never hands out anything a skillfully prepared player can't deal with.

Every other innovative and cool feature (challenge games, sound cues) really pale in comparison to the degree the game is balanced to, mechanically speaking.

Eyro:
I liked how some mechanic abuse felt more engaging than in typical rougelikes. Corner shooting feels way more tactical, than say, crowding mobs through one door so you only have to deal with them one at a time. It works, it's effective, but it doesn't have that engaging feeling to me. The dodge and movement mechanics in this game also feels more engaging than just turn by turn.

Aki:

--- Quote from: Eyro on October 14, 2013, 16:57 ---I liked how some mechanic abuse felt more engaging than in typical rougelikes. Corner shooting feels way more tactical, than say, crowding mobs through one door so you only have to deal with them one at a time. It works, it's effective, but it doesn't have that engaging feeling to me. The dodge and movement mechanics in this game also feels more engaging than just turn by turn.

--- End quote ---

This.

The level of strategy involved with DoomRL, while quick and dirty as put in a previous post, means that there's so many options and so many variation in achievements and gameplay styles rather then just "Tank it out with healing packs and take enemies on one at a time". That's not really fun at all. DoomRL accounts for both skill as a player and "Player skills (traits and modded weapons and stuff)", so there's always room to get better and it doesn't leave you up to the mercy of "Oh, there's X hp of healing there, I can kill Y enemies before I need to grab it and GTFO".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version