Jupiter Hell > General Discussion

Jupiter Hell: What Happens When Two Games Love Each Other Very Much

<< < (3/3)

Salivanth:
Newbie perspective. (Literally got my first win yesterday)

Really, what it all comes down to is depth, for me.

DoomRL has an incredible depth of skill, but isn't forbiddingly hard to get into. A newbie can get the Hell Arena bronze badge within hours of downloading the game. At the same time, we have the best players in the world struggling to achieve Angelic Badges. I can look at the road ahead of me, and see how wonderfully long it is, but it's a hill, not a cliff.

This depth of skill comes from two things; the wide array of difficulties and challenges and badges, and the mechanical depth of the game.

The game needs to be mechanically deep enough to allow for this depth of skill. If tactics were simple, there wouldn't be enough of a skill gap to allow for this depth. There needs to be enough mechanical depth so that we have this spectrum of Beginner to Average to Good to Great to Expert to Tormuse and 2Dev.

So that's what I want. I want a game that I can pick up and attempt to win, but a game that is deep enough that I can continue to steadily improve for months or years without hitting a peak. The Angelic Badges are one of the best parts of the game to me, despite my knowing I'll never reach them. I like knowing there's a near-impossible challenge, a skill ceiling that is impossible to attain. Speaking of badges, for the love of god, keep the badges. Crawl is a fantastic roguelike, but after I won a few times, I didn't really feel the urge to keep playing. If it had an achievement system I'd still be playing it to this day.

Trar:
I agree with Salivanth. The amount of tactical variation and depth, not to mention the gentle-but-large learning curve, is one of DoomRL's strongest assets given how uniquely the game does it, and I'd ask you guys to design Jupiter Hell around these aspects if I weren't already sure you were. Which I am. I'm also reasonably sure you guys are going to include a nice, varied amount of level varieties, weapons, monsters and items to round this concept out. I'd love to see custom soundtrack support as well, not to mention mod support!

I also think the varied difficulty levels from DoomRL are important in that they provide a variety of challenge levels, which is something JH would do well to mirror. Going from ITYTD to N! is what I'm talking about here.

I'm...not sure about the prospect of adding drugs. All I can really say about this is that they should be optional.

I also have something to say about the length of the game. If you're going to try and make it 'short but sweet', I think DoomRL's game length is an appropriate target for comparison. I'd be fine with it being a bit shorter than DoomRL, since I know the lost length will be made up for with rich gameplay.

No matter what, though, I'm confident this is going to be one Hell of a game. I'll probably even contribute to the Kickstarter, that's how much faith I have.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version