Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 17:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Boots and you.  (Read 3996 times)

WanderingNewbie

• Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Boots and you.
« on: October 23, 2013, 11:57 »

So I'm slowly getting better and better at the game, but there are still a few topics I'm not really sure on.  One of those is boots, I never really know what kind of boots to make and when to make them.  I mean unless I'm playing a pistols build and I need the A mods for my speedloader, the first thing I always try to make are Tac boots, but after what do you guys aim for if you have a massive influx of mods?
Cacodemon Sergeant Major (Version 0.9.9.7)
[15/7/3/0/0/0]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: Boots and you.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 13:34 »

Tac boots are always an excellent choice if you have A mods to spare. Besides those, I only tend to make cerberus boots, and these only when I'm playing Ao100.

Antigrav would be sweet, but I usually rather spend N mods elsewhere.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

White Rider

• Elder
  • Captain
  • Doesn't play much
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 13:54 »

Tactical boots and fireproof plasteel boots.

Cerberus boots would be ok in a non-Ao100 setting if they didn't eat up 2 P mods.
0.9.9.6: 10d 15h Arch-Vile Major; 6/6/2012 - 3/15/2013
0.9.9.7: 12d 9h Cyberdemon Br. General; 3/19/2013 - ?
V: 31 (5P 17S 9F) M: 32 I: 66 A: 40 | 26 24 19 8 1 0

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 14:51 »

Cerberus boots would be ok in a non-Ao100 setting if they didn't eat up 2 P mods.

That, and I hardly ever go for WK2 on non-A100 games. Maybe on higher difficulties, but on HNTR, it's pretty much pointless.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 20:05 »

That, and I hardly ever go for WK2 on non-A100 games. Maybe on higher difficulties, but on HNTR, it's pretty much pointless.

This.

It's better in my opinion to work out what assemblies you're going to need beforehand and focus on making them as opposed to randomly assembling things as you go (unless you have the mods and the situation arises that you could use a ballistic armor or something). It helps declutter your inventory, so if I see a random mod that I can't throw on a spare piece of armor/weapon or something, it's probably staying on the ground unless I have something I can ditch for space (like shotgun shell x9).

Whizkid just expands the amount of assemblies you can plan for. And even then, on regular games don't be expecting a whole lot out of it. For example, if you're going a shotgun Gunrunner build, you're going to have to wait until you're level 10 before you can think of making that Focused Double Shotgun (unless you want to critically compromise your build efficiency), and you'll be lugging around Double Shotty (P) + AT in your inventory. If you find them, that is.

Even on Ao100 this still holds true because you can still plan for WK 2 + cerberus boots and stuff like that.

Err, what I guess i'm trying to get at is that if there's mods that are outside what you're planning for and you can't use them it's not a huge loss to leave them on the ground if they're not exotics.

As for nano packs: With Whizkid 1, i'll stop at nothing to obtain Antigrav boots. I think it's worth giving up even a nanoshrapnel shotgun or a Nanoskin armor or something.

With Whizkid 2, I might opt for a Nanomanufacture instead simply because it helps with ammo management and means you don't have to reload in the middle of a fight. A Nanomanufacture Rocket Launcher is fun to play with but within the higher levels of Ao100 I didn't really use it much, instead going back to my Nanomanufacture Plasma rifle. Although if something presents itself to me like a chainsaw that I can make a ripper out of, that nano pack's headed straight for antigrav boots.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Antigrav boots are awesome and very much worth the nanopack over most of the other assemblies.
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

White Rider

• Elder
  • Captain
  • Doesn't play much
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 20:41 »

WanderingNewbie: In case you're wondering why Whizkid is less beneficial on non-Technician games on ITYTD/HNTR difficulty, it's because you don't get enough experience to get the most out of it. ITYTD/HNTR has less spawns and gives you less experience per kill compared to the other difficulties, but the other difficulties give you more enemies and more dangerous enemies earlier in the game.

Neither LuckyDee nor Aki seemed to have mentioned that so I figured I should mention it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 20:56 by White Rider »
0.9.9.6: 10d 15h Arch-Vile Major; 6/6/2012 - 3/15/2013
0.9.9.7: 12d 9h Cyberdemon Br. General; 3/19/2013 - ?
V: 31 (5P 17S 9F) M: 32 I: 66 A: 40 | 26 24 19 8 1 0

Aki

• Marketing/PR and Wiki Ops
  • Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 20:54 »

Yeah, that's a good point and probably why MSc is hit so hard during a regular game.
[0.9.9.7]
Badges: [22/17/15/10/4/0]

Sambojin

• First Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 00:20 »

I tend to like the WK chain of traits, valuing it almost as highly as the mastertraits. It's nice on technicians as a pick-and-play trait if you end up with a few spare mod-packs, but it's also great for marines and scouts. Strangely enough, it's not for the assemblies (although they're great), it's just so I never leave a mod-pack behind. Fin(2), Jug and WK(2) isn't exactly a waste of traits for any build. Whilst it might not be as specifically "powerful" as some uses of those level-ups on a more focused build, you can get by as a fast-firing, quick-switching, modded-out-the-wazoo generalist, at about the exact same time that any mastertrait comes online. You can even slap EE,HR or SoB in for a bit of extra "power", or Int(1)/BA for utility. It's just all-round good for anything you find in your run, with anything you do get slowly being modded into something pretty awesome.

Back to the boots, you can't go wrong with tac boots. They are the best thing ever for useability, obtainability and lack of build necessities. Then just have another set of boots for mod-dumping if you're going to go the WK route. A set of AP pasteel boots aren't horrible, but boots are just a nice little mod-dump-slot for me. I'll even tech-mod them for some builds for the low knockback, even though conventional wisdom says that it's the worst thing you can do.

So, in a nutshell, go for tacs or fireproofs or antigrav, but don't be too concerned if you don't get them. Weapons are important, armour is important, boots are just a nice little bonus to dump mods into. Ag mods first, then consider an assembly or just slap them on willy-nilly. I've never used more than two pairs of boots a game anyway, so don't be too concerned about them. Even basic boots are great.

Oh, and I like the fact that it makes even the most useless armour shard do "something". Yay! My boots look like brand new! Totally worth it.
Pages: [1]