Chaosforge Forum

• March 19, 2024, 01:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Can I have the source code to make some additions?  (Read 11716 times)

Driverman

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Can I have the source code to make some additions?
« on: November 10, 2013, 18:02 »

If you'll give me the source code I would like to make a few additions to the game. Namely, "focused aim", motion sensor, and proximity mines. Add few more sound effects as well.

Focused aim: pressing a wait key while targeting would increase chances for critical hit by %50-%100, in exchange for skipping a turn.

Motion tracker: blink symbols '?' at invisible alien locations once each turn accompanied by the sound effect which gets more intense (higher pitch) the closer they are. Perhaps aliens in vents would only give off sound effect without visual clue, which could work well to add some more tension to the game. I guess tracker should need to be equipped instead of primary or secondary weapon to be used.

Proximity mine: not to throw, only to lay down at your current location. Activates when aliens step on it.

The only thing I don't like about the game is that most of the time you end up shooting at aliens when they are right next to you, for several turns while being clawed by them in the same time. I think you should be able to deal with one and two aliens before they get close in most situations. The real danger would be using inadequate fire power, getting yourself surrounded or attacked by more than few aliens at once. Addition of "focused aim" should move the balance a bit more towards what I described. It would give you a chance to finish off a single target at greater distance, but at the cost of all the other aliens moving in closer. Additionally perhaps aliens HP could be less in exchange for their increased numbers and/or dealing more damage when they do get close.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 19:54 by Driverman »

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: Can I have the source code to make some additions?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 18:37 »

This should go to Kornel as a PM.  It's not merely a case of "source code" -- all changes are tracked and therefore this is a request for repository access.

On a side note, you will need to discuss with Kornel to see if what you've suggested squares well with his vision of the game as a whole.
I computed, therefore I was.

Driverman

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 19:24 »

I thought of it in a much less formal way. I was thinking I would be doing a favour in return for entertaining myself for few afternoons and get a reason to play the game once again. I'd of course give back the source together with changes so Kornel can do with it what he pleases. He could actually implement "focused aim" himself in most likely less than 15 minutes, and the rest in most several hours. To try it, test it out. That would be even better. You really have to make it and try it out to be sure if it fits and improves the game or it doesn't.

By the way, is this game even supposed to get any more updates? I think it deserves more attention. Do you have download statistics? Is anyone downloading it, is anyone still playing it?

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 19:57 »

The theory is that this game will get more updates.  But like almost all other ChaosForge productions now, focus is placed on Jupiter Hell, the do-or-die survival project of Kornel's.

AliensRL has always been the underdog rogue-like here.  It has cool concepts, but it plays more strategically than DoomRL, which makes it very sensitive to content, which it is currently lacking.

I understand your point of view, but you should also understand that we don't really know you that well since we've not interacted with you before.  Since at the end of the day, Kornel is the God Hand and thus Ultimate Source of ChaosForge, it is still correct to contact him directly with regards to your request.

Driverman

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 20:19 »

I'm unaware of any reason why would he want to keep source code closed, especially if he has no time to work on it. I guess what I'm really asking is to open the source code to public, with some restriction that all mods would need to be published only through his website, if that's what he's concerned about.

I don't think that would take away anything from him, I think it could bring some nice improvements and enrich the game. So then at some point he could pick up the mods he likes the best, tweak them as he wants, and compile them in his next official build.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 20:45 »

I'm unaware of any reason why would he want to keep source code closed, especially if he has no time to work on it.
+1
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Tavana

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 21:25 »

Hey there. It's awesome that you're interested in the game, and interested enough you'd like to help make some of the changes you've put forward.

There are a couple things about your request, though. As thelaptop mentioned, you're new here. Ask yourself how you'd feel if someone you'd never met came in and asked for the source code to a project you'd been working on for years to make changes and offshoots. AliensRL isn't finished by a longshot, which means there's still a vision (and a trac full of ideas) that Kornel has for it. If course I'm not saying your ideas aren't good ideas, or that they couldn't work in the game. It's just a big ask.

The other bit is that you've suggested lots of good things, but told us nothing. How well do you know PASCAL and the Valkyrie engine which Kornel has made to run this game? How are you with OO programming? What's your comment to code ratio? If you're going to make changes to code that you're suggesting could be reused by others, there are standards you would want to meet.

These are just a sample of some of the questions Kornel might have for you. I started out asking to help Kornel code DiabloRL, so it certainly might happen that you'd be given repository access. But I too would highly suggest taking it up with him in a private message.
Common words do not mean common understanding. Language is mercurial. Meanings are never constant.

Driverman

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 16:13 »

The question here is for Kornel and whether will he open the source code, to public. I'm irrelevant. I don't see he has any questions or anything to say about it at all. I'll take that as a 'no'. And that's fine, the game is good enough as it is.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 16:54 »

I'm unaware of any reason why would he want to keep source code closed, especially if he has no time to work on it. I guess what I'm really asking is to open the source code to public, with some restriction that all mods would need to be published only through his website, if that's what he's concerned about.

I don't think that would take away anything from him, I think it could bring some nice improvements and enrich the game. So then at some point he could pick up the mods he likes the best, tweak them as he wants, and compile them in his next official build.
Authors prefer their children to be untouched by the impure hands, rather than corrupted and transformed into a pathetic chaotic beings.
Similar situation - ADOM and Thomas Biskup.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 17:37 »

The question here is for Kornel and whether will he open the source code, to public. I'm irrelevant. I don't see he has any questions or anything to say about it at all. I'll take that as a 'no'. And that's fine, the game is good enough as it is.
If you are indeed asking that question, then I will say that it is an unfair question.

Don't you think that it is premature to think about opening up the source code when the progenitor of the project hasn't completed enough of his vision yet?

I have mentioned that he has been busy with working on his do-or-die project.  Tavana has also mentioned that AliensRL is in no way complete as at now.  And both of us have repeatedly mentioned taking this to a PM with Kornel -- there is no public debate over this, because there is nothing to debate about.

And that will be my last word on this matter.

skarczew

• Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 20:39 »

Tavana has also mentioned that AliensRL is in no way complete as at now.
I can confirm this as well, lol.

In knee deep alpha-beta.
Pages: [1]