Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 14:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [0997G WinXP] Phaseshift Set [WARNING: SPOILERS]  (Read 6990 times)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
[0997G WinXP] Phaseshift Set [WARNING: SPOILERS]
« on: November 11, 2013, 14:03 »

For I think the first time I was actually running around in the full phaseshift set, when I noticed I wasn't taking any damage from lava. I was almost going to log a bug about the lava - there's no mention of me being immune to it in-game - when I thought I'd check the wiki, on the off-chance...

Well.

So the set does cause the immunity, but:
1) It isn't mentioned in-game and
2) Contrary to what the wiki suggests, the boots don't take damage from the lava (haven't tried acid yet) nor acid.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 14:06 by LuckyDee »
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: [0997G WinXP] Phaseshift Set [WARNING: SPOILERS]
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 19:10 »

When you complete the phaseshift set, I'm sure it says something about you lifting up in the air.

Now, how the hell you can keep moving while flying and not have any form of thrusters is anyone's guess.

Edit: "You start to float!".  Yep.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 19:13 by thelaptop »
I computed, therefore I was.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 10:35 »

"You start to float!".

Ok, but then it's safe to say the info on the wiki is outdated. I believe the wear on the soles of boots that never actually touch the ground is rather slim.

Still, I'd say the resistances should be updated too. Why have all resistances that 'zerking causes displayed - when Doomguy is in hardly any shape to do number-crunching at that point - and not for the phaseshift set?

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 11:16 »

Still, I'd say the resistances should be updated too. Why have all resistances that 'zerking causes displayed - when Doomguy is in hardly any shape to do number-crunching at that point - and not for the phaseshift set?

I'm not certain but I don't think the phaseshift set's effect increases resistance, I think it adds a flag that just makes the wearer immune to damaging floors.
Use power for power.

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 11:37 »

I'm not certain but I don't think the phaseshift set's effect increases resistance, I think it adds a flag that just makes the wearer immune to damaging floors.
I don't know the code - but a flag similar to cacos and lost souls immediately springs to mind.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 12:22 »

Sounds sensible. Yet I still say this effect should be recorded somewhere, possibly where it says "Phaseshift set [1/2]". Some kind of update when you collect both pieces?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:27 by LuckyDee »

2birds1stone

• Platinum Supporter
  • Alpha Supporter
  • Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 17:20 »

I thought it actually increased resistance; I recall reading somewhere that Onyx-modded phaseshift armour in conjunction with boots renders you permanently immune to Barons'/Hell-Knights' acid attacks, though I can't immediately track down source, nor is it something I've tested.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 17:39 »

Yep.  That's what happens in the set completion code. 

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
  • Warrant Officer-Mancubus, trying to get all Bronze
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 13:47 »

Instead of a flag set to "floating", from my understanding, your resistance to fire and acid on your feet is increased to 100%. Damage to armor is calculated by its HP versus its resistances. Resistances are accounted for first (from the Mechanics section of the wiki), and THEN the HP is calculated. So, because you actually have 100% resistance to acid/lava on your feet (and I believe you can see this on a mortem), it blocks all damage before it does anything to the HP.

I also believe you can exercise this fact by Onyx-modding phaseshift armor (or at least doing something like a Nano mod on it) and you're pretty much invincible vs the elements.
Do not muddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 00:07 »

Instead of a flag set to "floating", from my understanding, your resistance to fire and acid on your feet is increased to 100%.

Unless my sarcasm detector is out to lunch again, this

Yep.  That's what happens in the set completion code. 

actually quite contradicts your suggestion, and would also explain why the resistances don't show up.

Additionally:

I also believe you can exercise this fact by Onyx-modding phaseshift armor (or at least doing something like a Nano mod on it) and you're pretty much invincible vs the elements.

As seen in my original post, you're already invincible to the elements (on your feet at least) without using O or N mods. Your remark did shed new light on the wiki entry though, and now I realize the trick lies within the word 'indefinitely'. So the last line

Can be exploited if one were to onyx mod the armor and then wear the boots at 100%, thus one would be impermeable to any sort of liquid attack indefinitely.

still actually only replies to resistances on your feet, but besides that, it's a bit redundant, isn't it? Of course an Onyx mod adds the 'indefinitely' factor, because that's what Onyx mods do.

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
  • Warrant Officer-Mancubus, trying to get all Bronze
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 12:36 »

The resistances may not show up, but I do know that the health of armor now reflects its resistance ability. For example, with the Cerberus boots, if you assemble them on boots that are less than 50% hp, the resistance to lava/acid is less that 100%, therefore, at least 1 damage point will be dealt to the boots every tile on hazardous terrain.

In conclusion, your resistance to fluids on the floor will be set to 100% resistant when wearing the phase shift set. Correct me if I'm wrong, but damage is calculated by:

HP=(round(damage.points*resistance.asdecimal)-damage.points)-current.hp.percent

So say my boots have a max hp of 10, and I have the phase shift suit on. Say I stepped on lava that deals 12 points of damage.  So:

HP=10-(12-round(12*1))

Giving me a total of 10 hp.

If I had 50% resistance on 12 damage lava with full health 10 hp boots:

HP=10-(12-round(12*.5))

Giving me
HP=10-6
HP=4

That's damage calculation (at least for fluids) in a nutshell.
Do not muddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 13:08 »

I'm more than willing to believe your calculation is right, but your conclusion:

..your resistance to fluids on the floor will be set to 100% resistant when wearing the phase shift set.

does not connect to the arguments.

It doesn't actually matter which it is, my point is that the effect should be listed. So either your resistance should read '100%' - or less, depending on the current durability - or the set description should read 'You're flying!'.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 18:32 »

I'll say it again.  Completing the phaseshift set does not confer 100% resistance towards floor hazards -- it makes them irrelevant.

Read that carefully again.  It makes floor damage irrelevant.

And yes, when you have the full phaseshift set on,  floor damage to you is like floor damage to Cacodemons.  That said, if there is proof that despite this your boots take damage, let me know.
Pages: [1]