Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 22:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [U|AoMC|98%|13|YASD] There's no such thing as 'just one more level'  (Read 5629 times)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (0.9.9.7) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Derrick Sund, level 8 Hell Baron Captain Scout,
 was melted by former commando's plasma gun on level 5 of the Deimos base.
 He survived 75116 turns and scored 85917 points.
 He played for 1 hour, 11 minutes and 17 seconds.
 He was a man of Ultra-Violence!

He killed 557 out of 565 hellspawn. (98%)
 He held his right to remain violent.
 He was an Angel of Max Carnage!

He saved himself once.

-- Special levels --------------------------------------------

Levels generated : 11
  Levels visited   : 1
  Levels completed : 1

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

UAC Star (gold cluster)

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  .............#.......................#..................0.#
  #...##[..........###.%.....###......|#....................#
  #...##...........###.......###.###...#...........####.....#
  .................###.......###.###...#...........####.....#
  ........[........%.........|}..###...#B.....h....####.....#
  ..##.|..##......|..>.......###.......#..h..####..####..^..#
  }.##.}..##...#...}.....###.###..###..#.....####...........#
  ||}..##......#....###..###.###..###..#h....####...........#
  }....##..0...#.%..###..###......###..#.....####...........#
  ...+.....0...#==..###...%...........;#............####....#
  ....##.##....====.^.............###..#............####....#
  .##.##.##....==.=.......%...;...###..#.|.....####h####....#
  .##.........=====.......%..0....###.X#..####.####.####....#
  .......##....===.###....###.===......}..####.####.........#
  .......##....#..^###....###=====.....#|.####.####.......;.#
  ............0#...###....###=====.....#..####..h...........#
  .............#..........+...====...|.#....................#
  .............#.........|}...===......#...h................#
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 0/50   Experience 28525/8
  ToHit Ranged +12  ToHit Melee +12  ToDmg Ranged +2  ToDmg Melee +2

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Class : Scout

Finesse          (Level 2)
    Son of a bitch   (Level 2)
    Intuition        (Level 2)
    Triggerhappy     (Level 1)
    Cateye           (Level 1)

Int->Int->SoB->SoB->TH->MCe->Fin->Fin->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   blue armor [1/2] (4%)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   combat shotgun (7d3) [4/5]
    [c] [ Boots      ]   steel boots [1/1] (100%) (A)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   plasma rifle (1d7)x6 [40/40]

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] missile launcher (6d6) [4/4]
    [b] blue armor [4/4] (100%) (P)
    [c] blue armor [2/2] (100%)
    [d] red armor [4/4] (200%) (B)
    [e] shotgun shell (x31)
    [f] shotgun shell (x50)
    [g] rocket (x9)
    [h] power cell (x50)
    [i] power cell (x50)
    [j] power cell (x50)
    [k] power cell (x29)
    [l] power cell (x50)
    [m] power cell (x50)
    [n] power cell (x50)
    [o] power cell (x50)
    [p] large med-pack
    [q] large med-pack
    [r] large med-pack
    [s] hatred skull
    [t] hatred skull
    [u] shell box (x100)
    [v] shell box (x100)

-- Resistances -----------------------------------------------

Plasma     - internal 0%    torso 5%    feet 0%   

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

46 former humans
    44 former sergeants
    10 former captains
    92 imps
    27 demons
    225 lost souls
    26 cacodemons
    31 hell knights
    6 barons of hell
    8 arachnotrons
    12 former commandos
    23 pain elementals
    2 revenants
    2 mancubi
    2 bruiser brothers
    1 agony elemental

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the surface of Phobos.
  On level 8 he encountered the Phobos Anomaly.
  On level 12 he romped upon the Abyssal Plains.
  He slaughtered the beasts living there.
  On level 13 he finally was melted by former commando's plasma gun.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

The lost soul dies.
 You pump a shell into the combat shotgun chamber.
 You load a shell into the combat shotgun.
 Your combat shotgun is already loaded.
 There is a large med-pack lying here.
 Fire -- Choose target...
 You see : out of vision
 You hear the scream of a freed soul!
 You pump a shell into the combat shotgun chamber.
 You load a shell into the combat shotgun.
 Your combat shotgun is already loaded.
 There is a protective boots [2/2] (100%) lying here.
 You are hit! You are hit! You are hit! You are hit! You are hit!
 Fire -- Choose target...
 You see : a former commando (unhurt) | floor | [ m ]ore
 You are hit! You are hit! You are hit! You die!... Press <Enter>...

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

37 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 16 of those were killed.
 1 didn't read the thermonuclear bomb manual.
 And 3 couldn't handle the stress and committed a stupid suicide.

17 souls destroyed the Mastermind...
 3 sacrificed itself for the good of mankind.
 13 killed the bitch and survived.
 1 showed that it can outsmart Hell itself.

My first proper UV game - ie, one where I didn't chicken out or got killed on the Base Entry - and it was BRILLIANT. Maizure, thelaptop, you were right, this is a great way to broaden the horizon.

First I thought I was going to die on dlev 2 or 3. A lucky kill-em-all lever on level 2 got me INT2, and my hopes rose. I skipped most special levels, figuring I wasn't going to tempt fate. I would have given the Military base a shot (with INT2, that should be pretty doable), but the RNG gave me Phobos Lab instead.

Then I thought I was going to die at the Anomaly. I rocket-jumped back to the start, took only 1 or 2 blasts from the cacos and had enough stuff to ease the pain. Was stupid enough to rocket a Bruiser Brother within my LOS, won't make that mistake again any time soon :S Dealing with those two (INT2 and a plasma rifle) was a breeze.

By that time I started believing I was nigh invincible. Did the Abyssal plains cause it seemed like a great idea (combat shotty, coupla boxes, plasma rifle with plenty of ammo) and it was. Got my killing spree up to about 170 there, earning me my only medal for this run.

Then... I got hasty. First level after the Plains I spawned surrounded by a pain elemental due west, a group of sergeants, commandos and hell knights north west and some more stuff (sergeants and imps, I think) northeast. It took a bit of balancing, but I came through virtually unscathed. Half a level later I learned that commandos don't go down too fast, and they do a shitload of damage on AoMC UV as long as they're standing up.

All in all this was the most fun run I've ever played, it's great to be challenged like this. Can't wait to get my next load of punishment.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile

Sounds like a pretty crazy game! I think UV is my favourite difficulty level too. I've always found nightmare a little stressful, and the perfectionist in me wants to check every corner of every level, which UV lets you do. :D

Int:2 to start is definitely a good way of learning monster patterns and the like (not being patronising, any player, no matter their skill, will learn about the AI in the current version far quicker with INT:2), but if you have a few games where you make a *massive* point to overdo your radar shooting (ie shotgun every single corner and every 3 turns until you run out of shells; do it to the point where it feels ridiculous!), you'll be a lot more versatile for other builds, and can start with EE before going for SoaB, and that makes your chaingun SO much more powerful for the first half of the game or so, particularly in AoMC!

Sorry you got commando'ed! I guess that's the price for AoMC runs! Did you have no phase devices, or was it literally a 1-turn job?
Against commandos my most recent lesson is always assume they're wearing some artifact piece of armour that prevents me from killing them in 1-2 turns! Lost a lovely run to an armoured commando recently!
Badges:
DRL:26 22 22 19 13 6
  JH:15 13 11   7   2

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries

Did you have no phase devices, or was it literally a 1-turn job?

I first made the mistake of stepping into its line of sight, then of returning fire instead of stepping back. One move north would have saved me, allowed me to heal and wait for him to step into the doorway. I just wanted to squeeze in one more level before going to bed, which turned out to be a bad idea. Next time...

Int:2 to start is definitely a good way of learning monster patterns and the like (not being patronising, any player, no matter their skill, will learn about the AI in the current version far quicker with INT:2)

This has been my favourite start ever since I first played. Radarshooting the crap out of everything generally works pretty well on HNTR - which I've been playing almost exclusively until now - where there's shells aplenty. But then on HNTR the chances of you triggering something truly evil to come after you are pretty slim. Cateye is one of the best choices you can have for AoMC, as far as I'm concerned, and since you need to be level 6 to take that and only have 4 prerequisite skills, adding the second level of INT seems like common sense to me - especially on AoMC.

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile

Well, LD, you definitely picked up the most useful start to UV difficulty, and your trait choice matches my own. Word of advice - after Cateye, go for Dodgemaster. That (and HR2 before) tends to help quite a lot.

Oh and by the way - one lucky phase at the Anomaly and you have a great chance at Gatekeeper Diamond. If you happen to find a missile launcher before Anomaly _and_ get a lucky phase there, it's almost guaranteed.

Go for it. Once you learn the movement patterns, you have a good chance to pick the low-damage medals as well.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries

Well, LD, you definitely picked up the most useful start to UV difficulty, and your trait choice matches my own. Word of advice - after Cateye, go for Dodgemaster.

Yeah, I realized this too late, drunk on megalomania :S Thanks for the tip, though.

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository

Excellent!

This run is usually my first after unlocking UV.
After Int, I usually go masterless and stagger SoB and Fin until both are maxed. Then move to HR.
If I'm still alive I move to Iro/TaN for survivability. You can usually hit up to clvl 15 in UV, I believe, that's a lot of traits!
I almost always ditch the shotgun after the first few levels be because everything goes down to the rapid volley. Easy to radar shoot with max accuracy and Int2

I usually stick to T mods because P with SoB tend to knock enemies back out of the line of fire. I hold off on TH until late game because the extra shot is usually wasted on already-dead early/mid game enemies.

RUN, WAIT is epic if you are strategically placed watching a choke point.

Kill!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 09:36 by MaiZure »
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries

I almost always ditch the shotgun after the first few levels be because everything goes down to the rapid volley.

I actually fought my way out of a no-cover caco cave using the shotgun, only realizing I had a plasma rifle and a ton of ammo when they were all dead ><
I kept it because a) I wanted to save cells and b) I kept running into groups of enemies, in which case it wreaks havoc.

Masterless might actually be a really good choice here, although I also considered INT-INT-...-MGK as a really good alternative. SOB maxed out would be a bit of an overkill, possibly... :)

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository

Ah, I forgot to mention that I keep both the chain gun and plasma rifle for ammo management. If I do invest a P mod in to a weapon, it's for the chaingun.

I agree than SoBx3 is probably a lower priority than higher Fin.

Masterless allows me to freely choose traits to cover my weak area due to no blocking.

EDIT: look at past mortems, I see that I do Indeed take TH but definitely not before clvl 6
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 09:54 by MaiZure »
[22/13/9/2/0]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries

Well, masterless was going great until I made the mistake of thinking doing Hell's Armory would be a good decision. Turns out you start off surrounded by cacos. And this was the start of the previous level:

Well, actually the start was about 7 squares to my southeast; eventually I fled to safety across the acid due west :S

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile

I kept it because a) I wanted to save cells and b) I kept running into groups of enemies, in which case it wreaks havoc.

Common affliction.  We always treasure the Plasma Rifle so much that we refuse to use it until we are already dead.  But think about it this way -- cells are plentiful the higher the level of difficulty you play, because of increased Arachnotrons and Former Commandos.  And using that plasma rifle means you kill them faster, therefore improving survivability.

And yes, the old rule-of-thumb of P-mod on chainguns, T-mod on plasma rifles still hold.  And slap on an A-mod if you are not taking EE or if you find that your play style isn't good enough at scavenging for ammo.

Edit: Also, don't forget the ammo-saving manoeuvre of initiating a Chainfire volley and then cancelling it.  It uses less cells overall, even with TH.

Maybe we should nerf that abuse... give it some cool down time or something after a Chainfire volley is concludedcancelled.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 18:27 by thelaptop »
I computed, therefore I was.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries

Common affliction.  We always treasure the Plasma Rifle so much that we refuse to use it until we are already dead.  But think about it this way -- cells are plentiful the higher the level of difficulty you play, because of increased Arachnotrons and Former Commandos.  And using that plasma rifle means you kill them faster, therefore improving survivability.

Well, I wasn't faring too bad with it in this particular run. Granted, it would have probably saved my life in the encounter with the commando, but so would thinking before pressing the f-key twice have. I'm currently doing another run - saved on the stairs into level 18, so that's going a lot better already - leaning on Maizure: plasma rifle + chaingun and masterless. Although I still have quite some stacks of ammo left, I still feel like I'm going to run out too soon - mainly because I've already been fresh outta bullets once, on the Abyssal Plains. Oh well, will see.

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile

Re: Cacodemon surrounds on the stairs. I make a point to always wear my best armour (often a P-mod red) when going down stairs, and arming the rocket launcher and a rocket box.
Most situations can be quickly cleared up with a rocket launcher that reloads quickly. Those that can't can be rocket-jumped away from. It's also worth remembering that rocket jumping makes you take *massively* reduced damage from your rocket explosion, but still does significant damage and knockback to monsters around you (and it also never misses, because it targets the ground next to you). Frequently, I'll descend adjecent to a pack of 3 viles and 4 revenants or some other such nightmare, and in a single turn I've cleared myself of them, half-killed them all, and taken down all the formers and imps surrounding them!
Badges:
DRL:26 22 22 19 13 6
  JH:15 13 11   7   2

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries

Re: Cacodemon surrounds on the stairs. I make a point to always wear my best armour (often a P-mod red) when going down stairs, and arming the rocket launcher and a rocket box.
Most situations can be quickly cleared up with a rocket launcher that reloads quickly. Those that can't can be rocket-jumped away from. It's also worth remembering that rocket jumping makes you take *massively* reduced damage from your rocket explosion, but still does significant damage and knockback to monsters around you (and it also never misses, because it targets the ground next to you). Frequently, I'll descend adjecent to a pack of 3 viles and 4 revenants or some other such nightmare, and in a single turn I've cleared myself of them, half-killed them all, and taken down all the formers and imps surrounding them!

Wow. That's actually quite brilliant. Cheers!

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
    • View Profile
    • Project repository

Still waiting to see this epic win!
[22/13/9/2/0]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries

Still waiting to see this epic win!

If you mean mine, well, so am I (:

I'll have time to finish my current run tomorrow evening, and I've been looking forward to it for a day and half already. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

Who finds a rocket launcher under the tree.
Pages: [1]