Chaosforge Forum

• May 13, 2024, 16:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: new trait  (Read 3301 times)

ultimate26

• Backer
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
new trait
« on: February 03, 2007, 20:17 »

a trait that shows enemy hp in numbers? sorry if its mentioned,  and i was thinking, if you could know how much damage you did with any weapon? after u finish the attack, you see the number of damage you dealt?   bit more rpgish? 

just an idea

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
Re: new trait
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 11:45 »

Nah.
We've already enough insight into the game to know what different approximations mean. We know our CG doesn't cause 12 damage, and we know the stornger the monster is, the more HPs and armor it has. A trait like this would be used for 3 games at most, before you'd figure out exactly how things work, and both wouldn't need it any more, and ruin any possible "hidden" details.

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 19:57 »

If you're really curious about what the monster's health looks like, you should really check out the wiki.

EDIT: Plus, TFoN is right; it's plenty easy enough to figure out that former humans are cannon fodder while barons o' hell/arachnotrons are generally bad news from simply playing a lot.  If you don't get the xdy figures for damage, they refer to the dice rolls that pen-and-paper RPGs (like Dungeons and Dragons) have been using since their conception, and what it means is that to figure out the damage you're doing this hit you'll have to a roll a die (d) with some number of sides (y) some number of times (x) [the total of all the rolls being the amount of damage you've done to the monster].  So for the pistol (with 2d4 damage) you're basically throwing a die with 4 sides each twice (for each time you fire) and taking that as your damage done (assuming you hit), giving you a damage range of 2-8 HPs.  Chainguns and plasma rifles are a *tad* different (since they are 1d6x5/1d8x8, respectively), but all this means is that each individual bullet is calculated seperately (in other words, it is 1d6 [plus any damage bonuses {Son of a bitch} or minuses {enemy armor}; repeat for all other individual bullets] + 1d6 + 1d6 + 1d6 + 1d6 rather than 5d6 damage [which would then only apply any damage bonuses/penalties once] for the chaingun).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 20:31 by BDR »

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 23:54 »

Besides, all the traits are using quotes from the infamous Doom Comic Book and I don't think that there is a quote along the lines of "Damn..I'm low on bullets. Better turn on debug mode...".

Already we have a scale of "Uninjured" to "Near Death", if that is not enough for you then you need to get used to the idea it's not going to change.

Besides, Half the fun is the fact that you don't know too much about the game! If you could see that the Cyberdemon had only 42 health points left as opposed to the fact that he is severely wounded then the game would become less of a virtual struggle for life and more like the art of chopping wood.

In pen and paper games you don't say "You hit the goblin with your puny dagger for 3 hitpoints of damage. He has 5 hitpoints left.", rather you say "You slash at the goblin with your dagger, he looks wounded but he still has alot of fight left in him." - DoomRL should be no different.

In the original doom you had no indication of how close enemies were to death, rather you had a mental list of how tough they were and that would give you the whole "He's near death" thing.

Thanks to modern technology, no thought is required for this process in DoomRL.

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 08:03 »

It's a bit dissapointing that a lot of people think of CRPGs as "real" RPGs. In a pen and paper RPG session (the original RPGs), run by a competent gamemaster, there shouldn't be any mention of numbers whatsoever. Even difficulties should have a hidden target number and the player/character should be informed of the relative value of the task.

I mean, saying and using numbers just puts the players out of their characters - it's much better if they are informed like this:
* Char 1: I try to open the locked door.
* Master: (takes a look at the character sheet) You feel it would be easy for a experienced rogue like you, do you want to roll?

Rather than like this:
* Char 1: I try to open the locked door.
* Master: You need to roll 12 or more, and you've got a +8 for lock picking.

In this last case the character immersion is totally broken.

So numbers do not make it more RPGish, it's more to the contrary.

But since this is a computer game, and not a RPG, it could be nice to have something similar but, as others have pointed out, there is already an indicator of relative health remaining, and there's the wiki, so this function is already there ;)
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 08:13 »

Adral, I think your example is too munchinish ^^. On my session it would look like this:

Thief : Ok, I look at the lock, does it look tough?
GM : It looks like the typical bolted mechanism from pre-Imperial times, you feel it'll be a breeze.
Thief : (to others) Okay, step back, this can get ugly! (to GM) Ok, I open the lock.
GM : It takes you less time than for a experienced lover to untie a womans corset.
Thief : (to others) That was close! I get a double share of the loot this time!
Warrior : (to himself) Why do I feel so gullible?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 08:15 by Kornel Kisielewicz »
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Adral

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 10:26 »

Well, your example sure is better... I couldn't think of any other at that moment, but I wanted to make a point :P

P.S: A session ran by me would also be more similar to what you've written than to what I had written :P
Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 12:07 »

Heh, a session with me and my friends goes more like this:

Me: Ok, there's a locked door, what d'ya wanna do about it?
Misha: Break it down.
Me: That may be dangerous. *Again*. HINT, HINT.
Dima: Then we'll break it down from a distance! :)
Me: Fuck it... Ok, how?
Misha commences to coerce a bystander to open the door.
The bystander explods.
Next hour is spent out-maneuvering the authorities, which are often eventually butchered one by one.
I should note that when there's likely to be no bystander around, they might kidnap one to bring along.

Our games are based on how interesting a move one can make - armies can be dispatched by a player describing an unusually good idea for a spell or by convincing the DM that the laws of physics shouldn't apply to him :P

I just thought about it: Fallout has the Awareness trait, which does exactly what ultimate26 suggested. I'm still against it here, but this shows it's not unheard of. And Fallout's a well made game, where the realistic feel's kept just fine.
Pages: [1]