Chaosforge Forum

• March 18, 2024, 19:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Gameplay and Background Ideas  (Read 22638 times)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Gameplay and Background Ideas
« on: December 02, 2013, 12:10 »

Though, while I'm on a rant here, lemme rattle off an idea (greatly inspired/stolen from an Android game called Hoplite) which would make melee fights (if those would be a thing in Jupiter Hell) more interesting: make melee attacking/defending based on the last move action the character took. Moving toward the target would be full offense. Moving away would be full defense. Moving along side would be some offense, greater chance to dodge. Standing in place would be balanced. Every time you end a move in a space adjacent to an enemy, you automatically make a melee attack (if you have a melee weapon/fists). For multiple enemies, you would be prompted to choose which. So if you moved between two enemies to reach a third, you could do a full attack on that one, while having a greater chance to dodge the sides. Or you could back away from one enemy to attack another. This would take some balancing, of course, and would probably be better in a melee-oriented game than a shooter, since it would be significantly more noticeable there.

And this, Thiebs, is how it's done :)

If the stuff you've been seeing and hearing about Jupiter Hell so far leaves you inspired in any way, feel free to share any spark on this thread. Whether it's about items, monsters, systems, levels, bits of story, just let it all out. If, like Thiebs above, you have clearly gotten your inspiration from another game/story/movie/etc, please state which.

Any idea goes, even it's in the vein of DoomRL's Horrible Ideas Thread.

Impress us!
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Gameplay and Background Ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 04:09 »

Awesome! I'll keep the ol' noggin churning, and we'll see if I have any more ideas. Thanks!
0.9.9.7- Hell Baron 1st Lieutenant: (23|13|5|0|0)

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 06:03 »

Was just watching one of the Mortem post videos (this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEGKushTuBQ&feature=youtu.be, from Sylph), and noticed for the first time that one can fire a round into nothing as a way to skip less than a second. Why not just make the wait command skip the smallest time increment by default, then, if it's needed, give a second, less conveniently placed button for skipping 1, 5, 100 or however many is appropriate seconds? Dungeon Crawl already has two buttons for this, I just never got why someone was physically incapable of standing still for less than a second at a time.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 06:11 »

This has also been the subject of debate for DoomRL itself - at least, I assume you're posting this as an idea for Jupiter Hell, judging by the thread you're posting it into. Good point, though if you ask me. Anybody know what the status for this in regard to DoomRL is?

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 06:34 »

It's too meta to be fun. Offers some tactical depth, but would also introduce unfun counting. The game should be fast and streamlined, not a time-related sudoku.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 06:40 »

Firing at nothing it is (:

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 08:28 »

So that makes sense. However, did anyone consider changing the way waiting works? Since the tactical application is almost always just waiting for an enemy to move without risking it getting a free hit, why not have the wait key default to 1 sec (or whatever is standard), but automatically interrupt if an enemy you can see (or within X spaces of you, etc.) takes an action? It seems like that would solve both problems nicely, though I have no idea how troublesome it would be to code...

emulord

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 11:05 »

The thing is, if you can wait at .01 second intervals, you ALWAYS can get the first hit.
Angel of max carnage is immediately super easy.

I think wait time should be a static amount of time (1.0s), unless you have survivalist or some other master trait that needs to be buffed lol.

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 11:25 »

Emulord - the trouble there is, if there are *any* actions that take less than 1.0s, people will use them instead of waiting. At the moment we have dropping items, swapping to the off-hand, firing with finesse, reloading with reloader, walking back and forth with hellrunner... when waiting takes longer than other actions, sensible/optimal players will not use the wait command.

To put this another way, we *already* always get first hit in AoMC, provided we don't use the current (rubishy) wait command, and find other things to do instead.

As a middle-ground, I'd suggest that waiting takes the amount of time of your quickest action in jupiter hell. Alternatively, just have it take less than any other typical action (say, 0.5s in doomrl), or perhaps take the time of your last action?
Badges:
DRL:26 22 22 19 13 6
  JH:15 13 11   7   2

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 12:22 »

As a middle-ground, I'd suggest that waiting takes the amount of time of your quickest action in jupiter hell. Alternatively, just have it take less than any other typical action (say, 0.5s in doomrl), or perhaps take the time of your last action?

Personally I'd say since wait is related to movement, set it to equal your move speed (in either DoomRL or JH). Yes, this spells trouble once move speed >1.0s. Serves you right for wearing such rediculous amounts of armour.

[Or if not equal to, at least relate to it]

emulord

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 16:11 »

Id be fine with Min(reload time, movement time)

"reloading a full gun" is just as much a wait action as "moving onto the same space"

Trar

• Backer
  • Sergeant
  • dsvilsit.wav
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 20:28 »

http://deadendsolutions.wordpress.com/doom-fiction/

Excellent fan-fiction novellas. I am posting them here because I feel they could act as sources of inspiration, with some of the stuff in them...that, and they're great reads.
0.0.9.7: Former Human Lance Corporal

insightguy

• Bronze Supporter
  • Supporter
  • Private FC
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 07:01 »

5 Things:

1. Is an x-com style cover system. It at least gives players a choice of strategic good/strategic cover, bullet dodging or a combination of both, all being viable tactics.

2. "Decoy" weapons like gas grenades, flash bangs, sound decoys, holograms and etc. to help with stealth/distraction?

3. An info "research" system where in certain information about enemies can be used against them (With a required need of equipment) (disabling shots, more damage and other effects) Info should be gained by terminals or other means, like a research "gun" (heh) That can scan enemies, (preferably one-two use only). And of course, this does not carry on.

4. (OPTIONAL and CAN BE TOGGLED) An FPS cam? I know this is a gimmick, but it may help with immersion...maybe use it as a sort of "angel" challenge where you can only see line of sight or even just a small section of the hud.

5. Separate ammo types with different advantages and disadvantages and varying rarity. (ex. incendiary rounds are more powerful or causes DOT but has less accuracy/ less range.)

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 07:53 »

So I finally got around to reading the first story on that link, (it was good, would recommend) and thought of a neat gadget that could be included as a mid-to-late game random or a special level reward. Here goes: It would be like the Portal gun, making two way portals (one for each fire mode, connected to the other), with a twist. Anybody who steps into one end, or is on a square where one is shot, instantly teleports to the other, but with a chance of bringing a random demon or two out of the portal with them. Also, such balance issues as cost in energy cells (or equivalent, maybe even the users blood..) and likelihood of spawning enemies would be big things. But it could be neat stuff. (Maybe also limit it to portals disappearing once you can't see them.)

Trar

• Backer
  • Sergeant
  • dsvilsit.wav
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 16:29 »

^ That idea sounds good.

I'd also like to see some form of maintenance/ventilation system we can try and scurry around in. Keyword being 'try'.
0.0.9.7: Former Human Lance Corporal
Pages: [1] 2 3  All