Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 17:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: [U|YAAM] Revenge of Son of Total Biscuit Strikes Back with a Vengeance  (Read 8572 times)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (0.9.9.7) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Total Biscuit,
 level 14 Hell Baron Captain Scout,
 sacrificed himself to kill the Mastermind at the City of Dis.
 He survived 104140 turns and scored 293152 points.
 He played for 2 hours, 34 minutes and 34 seconds.
 He was a man of Ultra-Violence!

He killed 780 out of 780 hellspawn. (100%)
 This ass-kicking marine killed all of them!

He saved himself 5 times.

-- Special levels --------------------------------------------

Levels generated : 11
  Levels visited   : 2
  Levels completed : 2

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

Medal of Prejudice
  UAC Star (bronze cluster)
  Hell Champion Medal
  UAC Silver Badge
  UAC Gold Badge
  Veteran Silver Badge
  Veteran Gold Badge

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  #>.........................................................
  #..........................................................
  #...................&......................................
  #.................X......................................&.
  #>.........................................................
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 0/50   Experience 90519/14
  ToHit Ranged +0  ToHit Melee +0  ToDmg Ranged +5  ToDmg Melee +5

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Class : Scout

Finesse          (Level 3)
    Hellrunner       (Level 2)
    Son of a bitch   (Level 5)
    Reloader         (Level 1)
    Dodgemaster      (Level 1)
    Intuition        (Level 2)

Int->Int->SoB->SoB->SoB->Fin->Fin->HR->HR->DM->Rel->SoB->Fin->SoB->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   red armor [6/6] (85%) (P)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   gatling gun (1d7)x6 [60/60]
    [c] [ Boots      ]   tactical boots [0/0] (100%)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   rocket launcher (6d6) [1/1]

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] plasma rifle (1d7)x6 [0/40] (T1)
    [b] blue armor [2/2] (100%) (A)
    [c] blue armor [2/2] (94%) (A)
    [d] phaseshift armor [4/4] (94%) (P)
    [e] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [f] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [g] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [h] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [i] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [j] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [k] 10mm ammo (x24)
    [l] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [m] 10mm ammo (x100)
    [n] rocket (x5)
    [o] rocket (x10)
    [p] large med-pack
    [q] large med-pack
    [r] thermonuclear bomb

-- Resistances -----------------------------------------------

Fire       - internal 0%    torso 25%   feet 0%   

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

76 former humans
    93 former sergeants
    67 former captains
    111 imps
    68 demons
    130 lost souls
    34 cacodemons
    10 hell knights
    48 barons of hell
    9 arachnotrons
    18 former commandos
    9 pain elementals
    23 revenants
    31 mancubi
    30 arch-viles
    7 elite former humans
    5 elite former sergeants
    5 elite former captains
    2 elite former commandos
    2 bruiser brothers
    1 Cyberdemon
    1 Spider Mastermind

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the surface of Phobos.
  On level 2 he entered Hell's Arena.
  He left the Arena as a champion!
  On level 7 he assembled a tactical boots!
  On level 7 he marched into the Military Base.
  He purified his fellow comrades.
  On level 8 he encountered the Phobos Anomaly.
  On level 16 he found the Tower of Babel!
  On level 20 he found the Lava Armor!
  On level 21 he assembled a gatling gun!
  Level 22 was a hard nut to crack!
  On level 22 he found the Acid Spitter!
  Then at last he found Dis!
  He nuked level 24!
  On level 24 he finally sacrificed himself to kill the Mastermind.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

You enter the damned city of Dis...
 Are you sure you want activate the thermonuclear bomb? [Y/n]
 You use a thermonuclear bomb. Warning! Explosion in 10 seconds!
 Run - direction...
 Warning! Explosion in 9 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 8 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 7 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 6 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 5 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 4 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 3 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 2 seconds!
 Warning! Explosion in 1 seconds!
 Congratulations! You defeated the Spider Mastermind! Press <Enter>...
 You feel relatively safe now.

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

46 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 23 of those were killed.
 1 didn't read the thermonuclear bomb manual.
 And 3 couldn't handle the stress and committed a stupid suicide.

19 souls destroyed the Mastermind...
 4 sacrificed itself for the good of mankind.
 14 killed the bitch and survived.
 1 showed that it can outsmart Hell itself.

Yes! Apart from still having to learn how to play without INT2, I've finally managed to surpass myself and struck gold - Veteran and UAC. This game took me about two weeks real time; I so much wanted this to work that I only went at it when I was feeling good about it and was free from distractions. The two and a half hours in-game seem neither particularly long nor short to me.

I still only took on the special levels I felt comfortable doing, which resulted in only the Arena and the Military Base. Since I was on a masterless rapidfire build (thanks again MaiZure) and ditched my shotgun pretty early on, I skipped the City of Skulls, which I would have probably done otherwise. I almost made the mistake of leaving Hell 1 via the UC stairs - the others were behind a patch of lava - but realized this would put YAAM firmly and definitely out of reach just in time. I ran out of cells on Hell 7, and was down to only a 1 or 2 stacks of bullets, but luckily I ran into a Vile with a band of captains which I could farm for just a little extra. Eventually, I decided not to take my chances with Spidey and just nuke the hell out of her.

I also followed up on Sylph's earlier advice and descended nearly every set of stairs wearing the (P-modded) red and wielding the rocket launcher. Mostly it didn't matter too much, and in a couple of situations I was forced to swap equipment really quickly (a cell level with barons/viles coming from both sides), but on several levels this turned out to be a great help. I walked into an arena level and rocket-jumped my way from one group of enemies to the other a couple of times. Weeeeeeeeee!

And now I'm leaving my previous highest rank behind, having made Major. And with 23939 total kills, it won't be long until the Hell Baron title will be replaced too...

P.S. This is the third game for which the RNG decided to grant me the name Total Biscuit, and each of his runs have been memorable so far. Shame I didn't plan on having any more kids, otherwise...
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository

Excellent run sir!

*puts on the drill sergeant hat*
Do it again, this time with Vet Plat in mind!

EDIT:
I would see about finding a way to work WK in to this build...possibly sans Intx2. You could probably even keep Intx2 if you try more specials. The extra kills are almost certainly worth an extra Clevel on the way to the end. Wk over Rel for sure (IMHO)

2ND EDIT:
CC must be done to make the most of the future special levels. I also have trouble doing UV/CC without the 2 extra offensive traits in place of Int. On the good side, you can usually pull a decent amount of ammo on CC so don't be afraid to rapid-radar shoot. Hitting V just one time (going up and down the rows) will guarantee pulling him in your direction for a controlled kill. This is a MUST on UV/AoMr. The bugger does have a nasty habit of doing an early charge to the right side of the map though :/
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 03:37 by MaiZure »
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries

Wk over Rel for sure (IMHO)

That was actually the exact same decision as I faced. I banked on not finding enough mod packs to make it worthwile anymore, so I opted for more speed instead. I don't think I was wrong. Found the second bulk to complete the gatling and a boatload of P mods, which I wasn't lacking.

CC must be done to make the most of the future special levels. I also have trouble doing UV/CC without the 2 extra offensive traits in place of Int. On the good side, you can usually pull a decent amount of ammo on CC so don't be afraid to rapid-radar shoot. Hitting V just one time (going up and down the rows) will guarantee pulling him in your direction for a controlled kill. This is a MUST on UV/AoMr. The bugger does have a nasty habit of doing an early charge to the right side of the map though :/

It's not so much the Master I'm worried about as the Barons ready, willing and able to step in and destroy the berserk packs straight away - which I generally try and save to heal myself.

*puts on the drill sergeant hat*
Do it again, this time with Vet Plat in mind!

That... is actually not as rediculous as I thought it would be.

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile

YAY! *SO* glad you got a win out of UV! And a 100% win to boot! This is the mortem I've been waiting for over the last few weeks!

Interesting to hear that you ran out of cells - Most players (myself included) go the other way, and tend not to use our precious cells until it's too late!

Glad to hear rocket-entry to levels worked out for you! It's a pain having to z-switch at the stairs, but it's rare that it causes you any damage doing so, and it can completely save your life on some layouts!

Taking WK is a tricky one - if you're not doing many special levels (especially CC, Lab/Base, and most of all armoury/Lab) whizkid can be a bit hit and miss. On the other hand, a rapid-fire build probably has the easiest time, of all builds, dealing with shamblers, and an onyx, nano, or firestorm modpack can be absolutely game changing. I'd *never* skip Armoury/DeimosLab if i had a rapidfire build with a plasmagun, it's just too east to get a game-winning modpack out of it! It's practically your prerogitive as a rapidfire user! You'd be surprised how easy the game becomes when you find a nuclear plasma rifle in the armoury, and firestorm-tech-tech-tech-power mod your standard plasmagun!

Whizkid aside, I find it more notable that you didn't take any ranks in Triggerhappy - is there a reason for that? I noticed you took all 3 levels of finesse, which is great for dps, but does nothing for ammo efficiency, much like triggerhappy!
If it's to do with the fact that finessex3 is such a *massive* increase to damage when you hit level 12, then I'd suggest getting finesse at level 12 - another level of SoaB doesn't really make much difference, but I can appreciate that you were undergoing ammo concerns at the time!
Personally, I find that while finesse does indeed give massive damage/second increases, I tend to prefer making single salvos do as much damage as possible in a single turn, as it seems a better defensive strategy to kill a target in a single round, but this might be a more player (or nightmare)-specific thing, I'm unsure. Either way, I'd not completely neglect Triggerhappy. Have you used it and just not found it to your liking?

I also agree with the veteran platinum suggestion, but I'd add that, having skipped a few special levels and their rewards, it might be nice for you to go for daredevil platinum too!

Congrats on the win anyway! Especially the ammo restocking idea on hell 7- that's good thinking-on-the-spot. Well done!
Badges:
DRL:26 22 22 19 13 6
  JH:15 13 11   7   2

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository

I think one level of EE would have had a decent effect on your DPS early on.
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries

Interesting to hear that you ran out of cells - Most players (myself included) go the other way, and tend not to use our precious cells until it's too late!

Well, I was almost out of bullets too, and was confronted with a vile/revenant pack. Plus I knew that I wasn't going to need any for spidey due to the nuke, I thought I'd better be safe than sorry.

On the other hand, a rapid-fire build probably has the easiest time, of all builds, dealing with shamblers, and an onyx, nano, or firestorm modpack can be absolutely game changing. I'd *never* skip Armoury/DeimosLab if i had a rapidfire build with a plasmagun, it's just too east to get a game-winning modpack out of it!

I tried the Armory UV once (on AoMC I think) and got a nasty surprise in being surrounded by cacos at the start, still haven't quite gotten over that. I had a look at the Deimos Lab setting too, but dealing with a large number of commandos and Revenants didn't sound too thrilling either. Apart from the Veteran Platinum, I thought I should just start doing all the special levels too, just to get the hang of them. That ought to keep me occupied for the next ~100 games.

Whizkid aside, I find it more notable that you didn't take any ranks in Triggerhappy - is there a reason for that? I noticed you took all 3 levels of finesse, which is great for dps, but does nothing for ammo efficiency, much like triggerhappy!

I don't see how TH will be more ammo efficient; you require less volleys to kill something, but will waste a lot of extra bullets/cells on weaker enemies. It would be good for DPS, but if it weren't for the captains on the last level, I would have run out of everything except rockets. I think TH would only have accelerated that. I might give it a try on the next run though.

it might be nice for you to go for daredevil platinum too!

Daredevil anything would do; I still have to try that challenge. Did it once on 0996, and got creamed :S
Lots of stuff to choose from for my next runs, anyway. Thanks for the tips.

I think one level of EE would have had a decent effect on your DPS early on.

Oh, now you do? ;) With INT, SOB, FIN, HR, DM to get stuck into, in that order, the 'early on' bit was quite gone by the time my to-do list was done... Once I get the hang of the additional special levels I might squeeze one EE in between SOB and FIN or some such.

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile

On EE early...
Oh, now you do? ;) With INT, SOB, FIN, HR, DM to get stuck into, in that order, the 'early on' bit was quite gone by the time my to-do list was done... Once I get the hang of the additional special levels I might squeeze one EE in between SOB and FIN or some such.
Actually, I posted about that too (but deleted the bit when I went into too much detail about specific builds for gatling guns vs hyperblasters and all various other ramblings!), MaiZure has a good point... EE is actually more important than SOB for a rapidfire build. That is, I get it as my first skill on character creation.
The second level of EE isn't anywhere near as important, in my opinion... I find it is best taken (if at all) somewhere after your third SoB, before your second finesse. That's something like EE-SoB-Fin-SoB-SoB-*-TH/EE/Fin2/WK
(where * is your split point - either split into whizkid, TH, or EE). I also like to pad out a rapidfire build with other skills on higher difficulties (Intuition, DM, juggler, even Brute! Most of all WK) to wait and see which items are find in the armoury, because the best build pretty much always starts with EE and 3 levels of SoaB, but after that it depends on the endgame items - a (burst)LaserRifle doesn't need EE, gatling guns don't get much from TH, whereas hyperblasters become obscene with TH and/or Firestorm mods. Triple-tech weapons tend to have the highest DPS, and they don't benefit from finesse 2 etc.
The armoury/deimos lab has such a high chance to generate a Firestorm pack, NanoPack, Nuclear plasma, LaserRifle, or Minigun, I often find it worth waiting to see what it offers before splitting off my build. It's also definately worth learning to beat it without taking any serious damage. In a rapidfire build, you can do either of those levels without expecting to use a single medpack, if you practice and wait a lot. Good luck with them! :D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 05:47 by Sylph »
Badges:

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries

Thanks again, maybe I'll try trading a level of FIN for an EE instead. It's just that I was focused on getting DM before facing Cybie (and then I still got hit once), and I was lucky to have drawn Military Base instead of Phobos Lab (which I would have skipped), since I managed to reach clev 10 on Deimos 7. All of this is pretty solid advice, though.

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile

I tried the Armory UV once (on AoMC I think) and got a nasty surprise in being surrounded by cacos at the start, still haven't quite gotten over that. I had a look at the Deimos Lab setting too, but dealing with a large number of commandos and Revenants didn't sound too thrilling either. Apart from the Veteran Platinum, I thought I should just start doing all the special levels too, just to get the hang of them. That ought to keep me occupied for the next ~100 games.
Well, for the record, a cowardly strategy can be put to good use in Deimos Lab. Just hide outside the teleporter room in the corner of it, and run-wait there. Everything on the level will then just come to you in time, and _almost_ always in a perfect cornershooting position for you (note the word "almost"). That will leave you with only the four revs to deal with, and they all are locked in the center part anyway - no danger from them in the beginning, and you can well prepare for them. Watching your kill count on the "@" screen helps.

Oh, and - congratulations on a nice run! :)
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries

Just hide outside the teleporter room in the corner of it, and run-wait there.

Do you mean the one in the starting room, or either of the rooms on the other side of the level? Remember that I'll always take INT2 for the time being, so I can try and take better cover if I see something coming and decide my position is shaky. Doesn't work too well with run/wait, but hey. At least, I guess it's safe to assume that run doesn't stop when an enemy enters my ESP range...

Juice

• Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile

Congratz on successful run.

That's something like EE-SoB-Fin-SoB-SoB-*-TH/EE/Fin2/WK
(where * is your split point - either split into whizkid, TH, or EE)

I've never been fan of rapid fire builds, I think I'll try your approach and see where it gets me :)
[25|22|20|15|5|0]
Cyberdemon General

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries

I haven't either, but the masterless build (especially with INT2) is simply devastating. The best way to explore uncharted territory, difficultywise, even without EE.

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile

Do you mean the one in the starting room, or either of the rooms on the other side of the level? Remember that I'll always take INT2 for the time being, so I can try and take better cover if I see something coming and decide my position is shaky. Doesn't work too well with run/wait, but hey. At least, I guess it's safe to assume that run doesn't stop when an enemy enters my ESP range...

Int2 doesn't pause run-wait, no. I think it would be a little too powerful if it did.
The best tactic to 100% clear the deimos lab is (hang on, I'll just go get screenshots for you)...

Badges:

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3HCi12q4Mo&feature=youtu.be
It's only HNTR, but that's because i was on angel of confidence, and the same tactic works on all difficulties.
I tried to demonstrate how to lead the enemies into the doorway (useful for cacodemons/corpse disposal on higher difficulties). It's also worth mentioning that when there's revenants in the centre (instead of arachnotrons) you can use the 4th (last) revenant to break into the supercharge area if you don't have a rocket launcher.

I leave a few destructible crates in case I need them against the shamblers... i prefer to fight the shamblers with nearby doorframes, partly for corpse disposal, partly to get decent firing positions, but it's not exactly tricky to just stand and kill them if you have a plasma gun.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 06:15 by Sylph »
Badges:

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries

You are a fount of wisdom. Thanks!

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile

(re: EE-SoB-Fin-SoB-SoB-*-TH/EE/Fin2/WK)
I've never been fan of rapid fire builds, I think I'll try your approach and see where it gets me :)
Just to note, that's got finesse slipped in there for the sake of shotgun knockback around corners. For a pure rapidfire, or if you don't have much luck with that one, try:
EE-EE-SoaB-SoaB-TH-TH-SoaB-Fin
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 11:55 by Sylph »
Badges:

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile

I meant the one in the starting (left) part of the level.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile

Very nice run indeed!  :D  I'm surprised that you threw away the shotgun, but perhaps that's just a reflection of my different playing style, since I really value having a shotgun around for the knockback, or for damaging multiple enemies at once, or for bullet resistant enemies.  (For example, a crowd of lost souls around a pain elemental can be taken out with a single shell, whereas with rapid-fire weapons, it'll take you several shots to take out one at a time)

LuckyDee, I agree with your assessment of Triggerhappy; I'm not fond of that trait for the very reason you said:  It wastes extra ammo when targeting smaller enemies, not to mention you have to reload more often.  (Unless you have ammochain, of course)  I suppose that's just one of those things that different people are going to have different strategies for, though.  Also, I agree with what other people said about eagle eye; one or two levels is a *huge* benefit to rapid-fire builds and I think you'll find that your ammo usage is considerably more efficient.

On an unrelated note, maybe you should set the default name to Total Biscuit; it seems to be lucky!  :)
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries

Very nice run indeed!  :D  I'm surprised that you threw away the shotgun, but perhaps that's just a reflection of my different playing style, since I really value having a shotgun around for the knockback, or for damaging multiple enemies at once, or for bullet resistant enemies.  (For example, a crowd of lost souls around a pain elemental can be taken out with a single shell, whereas with rapid-fire weapons, it'll take you several shots to take out one at a time)

I was inspired by MaiZure there; I used to like to stick to my shotty as well, but for a masterless rapidfire build you'll want all the inventory space you can muster for suitable ammo. It's not too bad, really, although I do tend to skip the Plains/City. A single elemental is pretty doable, since you can easily dodge the souls' attacks, especially with a HR2 tac booted scout.

On an unrelated note, maybe you should set the default name to Total Biscuit; it seems to be lucky!  :)

I had the same thought, but that would probably jinx it. Besides, he's not so much lucky - see the previous two runs - as he is memorable.

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile

I tend to hold on to a shotgun, too, but I try to make sure it's either a double, super, or focused double (focused double, despite costing 3 modpacks, is pretty easy to construct most games). Just that stack of 50 shells is enough to clear a lot of levels when you have a bullet crisis, and I love both the knockback of 'double' shotguns, as well as how strong they are at close range when the enemy can't be knocked back!
However, I *do* take triggerhappy in masterless builds. I find it absolutely devastating, but as Turmuse said this might be a playstyle thing. EagleEye also greatly helps melee attacks, and I use a *lot* of melee even in rapidfire builds, so maybe that's why I don't run into such ammo problems. Triggerhappy REALLY ramps the damage up (I was killing barons in a single gatling gun volley perhaps 25% of the time in my last game), and I have trouble seeing why I'd choose rapidfire weapons with that crazy single-volley damage!
Badges:
Pages: 1 2 [All]