Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 03:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [N!|AoLT|91%|YAVP] Masterless Rapidfire Lightfoot Diamond!  (Read 4130 times)

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile

Yay! Another biamond!
Lightfoot diamond looked like an easy badge to obtain when I first started to tackle it. I was close to victory on my second attempt, using a scout with Intx2, based on shotguns The only real challenge seemed to be having enough ammo to kill the cyberdemon (about 120 shells), then getting lucky on invulnerability/berserk for the rest of the game. After another 3-4 tries, I realised taking berserker - despite the melee restriction - would probably give me a win, but I started playing with other builds (since it's not often that a diamond badge gives us a chance to play with other builds is it? :) ).
I had quite a few close calls using bullet dance (I'm determined to get a diamond badge with that rubishy trait!), but after a while decided I wanted a few games with ammochain.

Wierd build
This game, in particular, was spoiled (by complete accident) by my taking a rank in eagle eye, which is a blocked trait for ammochain. I blame LuckyDee, for eliciting good discussion on the power of EE over on his recent mortem thread! It took me about 6 levels before I realised I'd blocked the master trait I intended to take, and god i wish I'd taken a technician, like I normally would in a masterless build (deimos lab dropped cybernetic armour).
Given that the game was spoiled, I decided to just tackle all the special levels for my own experience. I was *very* glad to realise that only a single level in hellrunner, combined with an agility mod on green armour or boots (I had no boots at that point though) is enough to outrun nightmare demons on Phobos Lab (strictly on AoLT - don't try it outside of that challenge! Thanks for pointing that out, Tormuse!) (I'm not sure it's EVER given me military base on N! - is military base deactivated on nightmare? Is it something to do with me only half-completing the arena?
Anomaly, thankfully, is pretty straightforward now that I've started using phase devices differently. Even without a rocket launcher! I just lead all the baddies over to the left of the map, shut the start room doors, boost up, then wait for a nightmare imp to open the door before phasing. This way, I get to fight at the startroom door if I want (only adviseable for shotgun builds), and there is a *much* greater chance of my phase device getting me safe (because all the ambush monsters are gathered on the left of the map). This game, I actually tackled both bruiser brothers before leaving the anomaly, which was basically just because my damage was so high (♥ gatling gun).
I also decided to tackle the phobos lab. I only entered the lab with a single large medpack, and accidentally destroyed both supercharge globes with a stupid rocket fire further right than I normally do (playing risky, still), but, testament to the raw damage of rapidfire builds, I managed to dispatch both shamblers (one of them had to be killed twice), and access the cache. There was a cybernetic armour in the cache. I've never seen anything other than modpacks drop there - was this a nightmare thing, or just a chance drop? Anyway, cybernetic armour wasn't the only notable drop...

Nano
Doing phobos lab and deimos lab finally paid off, and the deimos lab cache gave me a nano pack. At this point, I decided this was no longer a ruined game, so I started to take things seriously again (ie, skipping levels that i didn't need to do (I was something like 98% at this point)). The rest of the game was fairly straightforward - couple of tricky levels (I just *hate* the maze levels on nightmare, because there are no doors, but I feel I'm starting to learn to use patches of water and barrels a little better now, given that I've played quite a few games without rocket launchers).
The spider's lair, in particular, had me down to 35% health, and no medpacks (I only carried a single large medpack around with me because of inventory restrictions). I ran out of bullets, so was relying on only my plasma rifle, which I had to wait to recharge (SO frustrating when the floor is carpeted with arachnotron corpses/cell packs). Still, shortly after that I assembled a nanomachic plasma gun, and the rest of the game was close to a cakewalk. Mastermind went down without hitting me, despite me *not* having invulnerability!

Lesson learned
- Persevere!
- carry a weapon that uses cells when entering spider's lair
- Where I usually fire rockets to unlock superharges in deimos lab is, indeed, the best place to shoot them
- Eagle eyex2 is *incredibly* strong with gatling gun. Like, old-assault-rifle+triggerhappyx2 strong!

ps. Can we have old assault rifle back? And a buff to hyperblaster? :D
pps. Just a few platinum badges away from Marshal rank now! x

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (0.9.9.7) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Sylph, level 14 Arch-Vile General Marine,
 defeated the Mastermind at the City of Dis.
 He survived 2956476 turns and scored 564058 points.
 He played for 4 hours, 11 minutes and 54 seconds.
 He opposed the Nightmare!

He killed 1511 out of 1659 hellspawn. (91%)
 He held his right to remain violent.
 He was an Angel of Light Travel!

-- Special levels --------------------------------------------

Levels generated : 11
  Levels visited   : 5
  Levels completed : 3

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

Mastermind's Brain
  UAC Star (gold cluster)
  Hell Armorer Badge
  Lightfoot Diamond Badge

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  ####................................#####################>#
  ###...............####...............######################
  ##.......####.....####.....####.......#####################
  #........####.....####.....####........####################
  .........####.....####.....####.........###################
  .........####..............####.%........##################
  ..........................................#################
  ..####............................####X...#################
  .&####............................####....#################
  ..####............................####....#################
  ..####............................####....#################
  ..........................................#################
  .........####..............####..........##################
  .........####.....####.....####.........###################
  #........####.....####.....####........####################
  ##.......####.....####.....####.......#####################
  ###...............####...............######################
  ####................................#####################>#
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 95/60   Experience 89874/14
  ToHit Ranged +4  ToHit Melee +4  ToDmg Ranged +5  ToDmg Melee +5

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Class : Marine

Finesse          (Level 2)
    Hellrunner       (Level 1)
    Son of a bitch   (Level 5)
    Eagle Eye        (Level 2)
    Whizkid          (Level 2)
    Triggerhappy     (Level 2)

EE->SoB->Fin->SoB->EE->TH->HR->TH->SoB->Fin->WK->WK->SoB->SoB->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   red armor [6/6] (72%) (AP)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   nanomachic plasma rifle (1d7)x6
    [c] [ Boots      ]   plasteel boots [4/4] (200%) (BP)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   BFG 9000 (11d6) [70/100] (P1)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] red armor [4/4] (200%) (B)
    [b] large med-pack

-- Resistances -----------------------------------------------

Acid       - internal 0%    torso 0%    feet 50% 
    Fire       - internal 0%    torso 25%   feet 25% 

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

226 former humans
    145 former sergeants
    115 former captains
    417 imps
    74 demons
    159 lost souls
    47 cacodemons
    35 hell knights
    48 barons of hell
    52 arachnotrons
    82 former commandos
    17 pain elementals
    29 revenants
    23 mancubi
    11 arch-viles
    25 nightmare demons
    2 bruiser brothers
    2 shamblers
    1 Cyberdemon
    1 Spider Mastermind

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the surface of Phobos.
  On level 2 he entered Hell's Arena.
  He left the Arena before it got too hot.
  On level 5 he stormed the Chained Court.
  On level 7 he sneaked into the Phobos Lab.
  He broke through the lab.
  On level 8 he encountered the Phobos Anomaly.
  On level 9 he entered Deimos Lab.
  On level 9 he assembled a gatling gun!
  On level 9 he found the Cybernetic Armor!
  He destroyed the evil within and reaped the rewards!
  On level 14 he ventured into the Spider's Lair.
  He cleared the Lair, kickin' serious spider ass!
  On level 15 he assembled a nanomanufacture ammo!
  On level 16 he found the Tower of Babel!
  He left level 21 as soon as possible.
  He left level 22 as soon as possible.
  He left level 23 as soon as possible.
  Then at last he found Dis!
  On level 24 he finally defeated the Mastermind.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

flinched! The missile hits the Spider Mastermind. The Spider Mastermind
 flinched!
 The missile hits the Spider Mastermind. The Spider Mastermind flinched! The
 missile hits the Spider Mastermind. The Spider Mastermind flinched! The
 missile hits the Spider Mastermind. The Spider Mastermind flinched!
 The missile hits the Spider Mastermind. The missile hits the Spider
 Mastermind. The missile hits the Spider Mastermind. The Spider Mastermind
 flinched! The missile hits the Spider Mastermind. The Spider Mastermind dies.
 Congratulations! You defeated the Spider Mastermind! Press <Enter>...

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

472 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 403 of those were killed.
 8 didn't read the thermonuclear bomb manual.
 And 18 couldn't handle the stress and committed a stupid suicide.

43 souls destroyed the Mastermind...
 1 sacrificed itself for the good of mankind.
 36 killed the bitch and survived.
 6 showed that it can outsmart Hell itself.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 05:30 by Sylph »
Badges:
DRL:26 22 22 19 13 6
  JH:15 13 11   7   2

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
Re: [N!|AoLT|91%|YAVP] Masterless Rapidfire Lightfoot Diamond!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 22:43 »

Woo!  Nice one!  :D  I like your detailed strategy descriptions; it's interesting to see how you develop your playstyle on the fly.  :)

I had quite a few close calls using bullet dance (I'm determined to get a diamond badge with that rubishy trait!), but after a while decided I wanted a few games with ammochain.

I don't think this is the challenge to be trying a bullet dance build; extra ammo use with greatly reduced ammo capacity seems like a bad combination to me.  As for ammochain, I think I might try for Lightfoot Angelic with it; I know ammochain seems to be a popular favourite for everyone else, but I never use it, so speaking for myself, it would be an interesting change for me.  :)

- Eagle eyex2 is *incredibly* strong with gatling gun. Like, old-assault-rifle+triggerhappyx2 strong!

I'm fond of EE 2 as well, which is exactly why I'm not fond of ammochain, since it blocks EE.  :P

- HR1 and a single agility mod are enough for phobos lab

Don't forget the 20% speed boost you get from playing AoLT.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Juice

• Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 02:04 »

This right here probably prevented some very annoying YASD :) Thnx
[25|22|20|15|5|0]
Cyberdemon General

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 03:56 »

I blame LuckyDee, for eliciting good discussion on the power of EE over on his recent mortem thread!

You're welcome, seems you had a much more educational run than you otherwise might have had :) Good show.

I just lead all the baddies over to the left of the map, shut the start room doors, boost up, then wait for a nightmare imp to open the door before phasing. This way, I get to fight at the startroom door if I want (only adviseable for shotgun builds), and there is a *much* greater chance of my phase device getting me safe (because all the ambush monsters are gathered on the left of the map). This game, I actually tackled both bruiser brothers before leaving the anomaly

This seems a great thing to do, but how do you take on the brothers then? I tend to try and use the doorways of the first rooms for cover, the situation in the last room just being too precarious...
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 05:41 »

Woo!  Nice one!  :D  I like your detailed strategy descriptions; it's interesting to see how you develop your playstyle on the fly.  :)
Yeah, I try to make my mortems worth posting, and I'm a very chatty person!

I don't think this is the challenge to be trying a bullet dance build; extra ammo use with greatly reduced ammo capacity seems like a bad combination to me. As for ammochain, I think I might try for Lightfoot Angelic with it; I know ammochain seems to be a popular favourite for everyone else, but I never use it, so speaking for myself, it would be an interesting change for me.  :)
Yeah, that's kinda what attracted me to BulletDance on AoLT! I like the idea that, if I can do AoLT with bullet dance, I can do anything with it!I don't tend to use ammochain much either, but I think it's because I used it so much back when it used to be the only rapidfire trait (and the only trait to match melee for power). Now we have plenty of other interesting traits to pick when we are not going melee, and since it's tiny nerf it's clearly not as powerful as melee builds (nothing is).
This right here probably prevented some very annoying YASD :) Thnx
For me as well! Good catch Tormuse! I've edited my original post. I don't know how I feel about angel games giving us advantages (particularly the massive angel of darkness one), it kinda makes them more like 'alternative' games than 'challenges'...

You're welcome, seems you had a much more educational run than you otherwise might have had :) Good show.
(anomaly strategy)... seems a great thing to do, but how do you take on the brothers then? I tend to try and use the doorways of the first rooms for cover, the situation in the last room just being too precarious...
I just walk up to the edge of the wall (the one that falls down before the bruisers come out) and corner shoot them both to death. Bear in mind you're probably used to intuition2, you'd be surprised just how much weaker it makes your character, particularly in the early-mid-game. A non-intuition build, shotgun, pistol, chaingun or melee, doesn't really have much trouble killing both bruiser brothers. To be fair, one of them *did* reach around the corner before dying, but only got a couple of attacks before going down. P-modded red armour probably had something to do with how little damage he dealt in those 2 attacks. :)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 05:45 by Sylph »
Badges:

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 06:46 »

intuition2, you'd be surprised just how much weaker it makes your character, particularly in the early-mid-game.

Without being overly verbose....THIS

Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 07:46 »

Well, even on HNTR without INT I used to retreat. I looked up the map on the wiki to be sure, since I always thought the furthest Brother would come at you from an angle that would exactly ruin your camp site. Turns out retreat is pretty unnecessary - although it's nice to be able to squeeze a couple extra shots in if you know you can easily outrun them.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 19:45 »

Well, even on HNTR without INT I used to retreat. I looked up the map on the wiki to be sure, since I always thought the furthest Brother would come at you from an angle that would exactly ruin your camp site. Turns out retreat is pretty unnecessary - although it's nice to be able to squeeze a couple extra shots in if you know you can easily outrun them.
Indeed. My favourite tactic outside of nightmare is just to keep backing off, and every time they go out of sight range, shooting/reloading a combat shotgun until I can see them again! They usually get stuck at the chokepoint in the middle of the level, and die without damaging me! Still, it's a little item and build dependant, whereas cornershooting them, while less safe, works with pretty much any 'combat' build (ie not dodgemaster/int2/cateye).

I just got out of another game, one where I was collecting platinums for a rank up (N! scout explorer), and I had a go with EE-SoaB-SoaB-TH-TH-SoaB. I'm feeling it's the definitive starting rapidfire build now, it's just a shame it only works with cateye as a master (and thus, once again, is probably better masterless). I was tempted to post a mortem, because it was a really exciting game, but I think I'm making too many topic, so I'll cool off for a while.
These recent discussions have given me a few ideas for tackling angelics in future though. I feel ready to do a few, but I've got a few more diamonds to collect for my next rank!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 19:47 by Sylph »
Badges:
Pages: [1]