Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 16:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I get owned.  (Read 4182 times)

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
I get owned.
« on: February 10, 2007, 16:53 »

I'm playing on easy difficulty setting but on higher levels with many ArchViles and the spider like things with plasma rifle (dont recall names, but thats how they looked like in Doom2 ;) ) I tend to get totally owned, by getting surrounded by cacodemons / Any of the monsters mentioned above, and blasted to hell by their weapons. I tend to have a rocket launcher, a plasma rifle and a double shottie with me. My traits are usually Ironman2/3 , ToughAsNails lvl 3 and either stonewall or reloader lvl1/2. I use the coward tactic when reloading and moving and aggresive whilst shooting. Any advices for me?

MadCoder

Re: I get owned.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 18:28 »

I always get eagleeye and cateye to shoot better and see farther.  If you can see farther, you can often hit the monsters when they can't see you.  I kill many monsters this way.  I also like intuition, but it tends to take part of the fun away (it's kinda' like cheating to me - but it would be different if it was a tool, like a motion tracker or something).  Try and pick 'em off at a distance.  I also keep a rocket launcher on backup, and shotty primary on entry to a new level in case of rough encounters.  I once went into a level and was surrounded by Arachnotrons.  The phase pack was the only thing that saved me.

The other guys here can give you better tips than me, though!

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 11:14 »

(it's kinda' like cheating to me - but it would be different if it was a tool, like a motion tracker or something).
Many here agree, and that's why by the next version Intuition's effectiveness' going to get nerfed down into the abyss. The motion tracker idea's nice (complementing a Computer Map as an additional powerup), but since, AFAIK, Intuition's going to be kept the same~, while accuracy out of LOS's going to drop and monster AI's being improved, there's no real need for another source of the same effect. If Intuition were to be outright deleted, on the other hand, this should be implemented IMO.

I'm playing on easy difficulty setting but on higher levels with many ArchViles and the spider like things with plasma rifle (dont recall names, but thats how they looked like in Doom2 ;) ) I tend to get totally owned, by getting surrounded by cacodemons / Any of the monsters mentioned above, and blasted to hell by their weapons. I tend to have a rocket launcher, a plasma rifle and a double shottie with me. My traits are usually Ironman2/3 , ToughAsNails lvl 3 and either stonewall or reloader lvl1/2. I use the coward tactic when reloading and moving and aggresive whilst shooting. Any advices for me?
If I remember correctly, Styro's the only one around here to use a trait scheme such as yours and get far at the same time. I, personaly, would never play this way. TaN's great, IM's great, Re's great, but IMO not at all in that order - by taking Re/EE first (and playing carefully), you can usualy avoid being hit at all throught the early-game (dlvl 1-6~). TaN/IM combos should come next. And if you're using both RLs AND PRs, take EE! Neither weapon's too accurate. One rank makes all the difference (though I'd take 2). On the same note, your DblSG should be complemented by Shottyman (which also benefits from taking Re(2) early on).
SW's ill advised by my tactics - anything that's able to push you back that many spaces' often better off far away. If those Cacos/Arachs were to hit you, and through this push themselves out of your LOS, you'd certainly have something to hold to your advantage. It also has no effect on AVs, so if these are what's killing you, consider taking something wholly different.

Styro

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 21:16 »

I usually stick with the chaingun through the whole game. Lately, I haven't even been picking up the plasma rifle. My thinking is that it takes up too much valuable inventory space because the ammo drains so quickly. I usually carry the RL, chaingun, and chainsaw (in case I run out of ammo), 1 or 2 phase devices, and as many large medi packs as I find up to about 4. The rest is 1 or 2 stacks of rockets and the rest 10mm ammo.

I'll carry a double shotgun until I run out of slots, but it is one of the first things to go. It is a great weapon and I always wish I have it if I find the City of Skulls, but the problem is that in order to make the chaingun or plasma rifle the most useful you are taking a different skill tree then the ones you need to make the shotgun useful. It is the dilemma between being mediocre at many weapons or really good at one.

After taking 2 or 3 levels of Ironman, I focus my skills with things like Eagle Eye and SoB (both of which benefit the chaingun but not the shotgun at all). After 1 or 2 EE and SoB, I will take others like Hellrunner or Finesse because speed is pretty important late in the game. I don't take TaN much any more because so many more things are more useful, though 1 level is probably a decent investment. Of course you get fewer levels in the easy difficulty, so you have to budget your skill picks accordingly.

Reloader is a great skill and can save your hide, but I usually don't take it unless I am doing the Shottyman path. My thinking is that I can usually kill most anything with a fully loaded chaingun, SoB to do extra damage, and EE so more of my bullets hit. 1 level of SoB takes the chaingun from 6d6 to 6d6 + 6 which is quite a difference and 3 levels is 6d6 + 18! If I cannot finish something off, I can close a door or duck behind a wall so I can reload in safety. This doesn't always work, of course, but it works enough that I consider picking something besides the reloader skill.

Since I don't have a plasma rifle, I usually use rockets to kill or weaken Arch-viles and Arachnotrons. This may destroy a few items, but that is better than taking tons of damage while trying to kill them with any other weapon.

In terms of general strategy, sound is very important. You can tell which direction a sound is coming from and you can identify the creatures. So I always try to clear a level of AV's first so they do not have anything else to raise. I also head for a corner of the level first off if possible and then methodically work my way around so that I am less likely to get surrounded. Closing doors behind you helps with this. Only certain enemies can open doors and it always makes a sound and shows on the map if a door is opened so you can see if someone is behind you. And the enemies that cannot open doors stay contained where they are.

On levels that are open (the "Twisty caves" levels) you can sometimes have a really difficult time if you cannot quickly get to a side or if you don't have a phase device. If you start the level surrounded by Arachs or Cacos you may just want to stay in coward mode and go downstairs as quickly as possible without trying to fight. Hellrunner helps greatly here. Sometimes it is better to skip a level than to either die or burn through all your medipacks trying to clear it.

I use the coward tactic when reloading and moving and aggresive whilst shooting.

I use this exact same strategy. Some people suggest going all coward once you get a couple levels of Eagle eye, but I think the extra damage from aggressive is worth the risk of getting hit. Exceptions to this is when fighting commandos and Arachnotrons. Since I don't tend to have TaN, I will sometimes do coward tactics against them, although I still am up in the air about that. You get hit less, but they survive longer and therefore get more shots at you. When in doubt, use a rocket launcher and then you don't have to decide. :)

Anyway, those are some general tactics that I use. Hope they are helpful.
Arch-Vile Mjr General
[19/19/12/7/3]

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 04:17 »

I usually stick with the chaingun through the whole game. Lately, I haven't even been picking up the plasma rifle. My thinking is that it takes up too much valuable inventory space because the ammo drains so quickly. I usually carry the RL, chaingun, and chainsaw (in case I run out of ammo), 1 or 2 phase devices, and as many large medi packs as I find up to about 4. The rest is 1 or 2 stacks of rockets and the rest 10mm ammo.

I'll carry a double shotgun until I run out of slots, but it is one of the first things to go. It is a great weapon and I always wish I have it if I find the City of Skulls, but the problem is that in order to make the chaingun or plasma rifle the most useful you are taking a different skill tree then the ones you need to make the shotgun useful. It is the dilemma between being mediocre at many weapons or really good at one.

After taking 2 or 3 levels of Ironman, I focus my skills with things like Eagle Eye and SoB (both of which benefit the chaingun but not the shotgun at all). After 1 or 2 EE and SoB, I will take others like Hellrunner or Finesse because speed is pretty important late in the game. I don't take TaN much any more because so many more things are more useful, though 1 level is probably a decent investment. Of course you get fewer levels in the easy difficulty, so you have to budget your skill picks accordingly.

Reloader is a great skill and can save your hide, but I usually don't take it unless I am doing the Shottyman path. My thinking is that I can usually kill most anything with a fully loaded chaingun, SoB to do extra damage, and EE so more of my bullets hit. 1 level of SoB takes the chaingun from 6d6 to 6d6 + 6 which is quite a difference and 3 levels is 6d6 + 18! If I cannot finish something off, I can close a door or duck behind a wall so I can reload in safety. This doesn't always work, of course, but it works enough that I consider picking something besides the reloader skill.

Since I don't have a plasma rifle, I usually use rockets to kill or weaken Arch-viles and Arachnotrons. This may destroy a few items, but that is better than taking tons of damage while trying to kill them with any other weapon.

In terms of general strategy, sound is very important. You can tell which direction a sound is coming from and you can identify the creatures. So I always try to clear a level of AV's first so they do not have anything else to raise. I also head for a corner of the level first off if possible and then methodically work my way around so that I am less likely to get surrounded. Closing doors behind you helps with this. Only certain enemies can open doors and it always makes a sound and shows on the map if a door is opened so you can see if someone is behind you. And the enemies that cannot open doors stay contained where they are.

On levels that are open (the "Twisty caves" levels) you can sometimes have a really difficult time if you cannot quickly get to a side or if you don't have a phase device. If you start the level surrounded by Arachs or Cacos you may just want to stay in coward mode and go downstairs as quickly as possible without trying to fight. Hellrunner helps greatly here. Sometimes it is better to skip a level than to either die or burn through all your medipacks trying to clear it.

Anyway, those are some general tactics that I use. Hope they are helpful.
They are, I always try to clear out levels for xp and items, and I do no exceptions to caves, while it seems that saving ammo and medkits is more important. Another thing is plasma rifle, which I always use and it seems to me not worth it, for the place it takes to stack up ammo, BFG, and medkits. Besides I probably would take 2 plasma rifles and  (possibly) 2 BFG which together with ammo takes way too much space (although they make good secondary weapons If I run out of ammo in one and have no time to reload) I gotta try chaingun only... Thx for advices!

Santiago Zapata

• Temple Guardian
  • Backer
  • First Lieutenant
  • Roguelike Developer
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 13:12 »

The good thing about shotguns is the advantage of hitting non-lined monsters and IMO that's enough for it to be the weapon to keep in the secondary slot :P

Also, the sound of shooting and "releading" a double shotgun is like music to me :D

For some caves, specially the deep hellish ones you may want to find a safe spot and make picnic there til arachnies are roasted or half roasted.

And yes, plasma is only good if you can spare the slots, I used to carry 2 or 3 overchargeds on my pack, just in case an annoying spider got on my way :D

I suggest you play on a harder difficulty so your personal experience with the game grows quicker, dont be afraid to :D

Slash (Castlevania, Metroid, Drash, ZeldaRL)
Temple of The Roguelike
Slashie.net

MadCoder

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 16:21 »

I agree, you get cooler weapons much faster as well!

Styro

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 16:34 »

Also, the sound of shooting and "releading" a double shotgun is like music to me :D

I agree. Shotguns have the best sounds in the game. I play shottyman games occasionally just so I can hear them. :)
Arch-Vile Mjr General
[19/19/12/7/3]
Pages: [1]