Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 17:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: First time posting - I really hate to be that guy...  (Read 3516 times)

Captain Mac

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
First time posting - I really hate to be that guy...
« on: December 31, 2013, 11:48 »

Hey there, people.

So let me break it down - I've had DoomRL for about 3 months now, and I'm playing the shit out of it. I still suck at it, though; only angel I've beat so far has been AoOC, and I've only beaten JC once, on HNTR. I have way too much fun with shotguns, and I'm kind of obsessive about killing every dude - I think that might be why, but who knows?

Anyway, that completionism I mentioned is a curse when I find stuff like the Dragonslayer. Cue exasperated groans, I know, I'm sorry. It just spawned again for me, in level 71 of Ao100 (which is a new personal best, but that's another story), and I've cracked. I can't leave the floor without it. I've tried to get this thing in the past, to no avail, and I know it has something to do with Berserk (maybe?), and I know it's super duper simple and I feel like an idiot but I can't leave this floor until I know for sure if I can get it. Still trying in real time, by the way.

Side note: this is NOT a request for someone to post the secret on the forums. I understand the history of the DS and I'm not asking anyone to break it. This is mostly here to let me vent. I'll let you know if I figure it out.

UPDATE: I couldn't deal. I didn't actually want to use the DS that badly, so I just moved on - I'll wield it someday, I suppose. Mortem to come soonish, I reckon.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 12:13 by Captain Mac »

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: First time posting - I really hate to be that guy...
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 13:29 »

Yeah, this game is a surefire cure for OCD and sore losership. Welcome :)

On a sidenote: how on earth have you been able to complete AoOC before something easy like AoSh, AoMC, AoMr, AoLT, Ao100 or even AoB? Pretty impressive if you ask me - I still have to complete my first AoCn ever, let alone try AoOC...
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Captain Mac

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 14:23 »

I actually found AoOC easier than the other ones. Having an assault shotty and minigun from the get-go really makes things easier for me; I cornerfire like a freak. AoS was easy when I started, but that was in Month 1, so the OCD kicked in when I went down to the Wall and realized I couldn't get the backpack. I actually quit on the spot...not my proudest moment, that. XD

Also, have a mortem!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After I got momentum (think it was around level 17, when I got Fireangel), the run became pretty simple; it was kind of a joke after I got my nanoshotty, though. Those things are stupid powerful...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 14:25 by Captain Mac »

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 17:15 »

Heh, I share your kill-em-all obsession (and I died countless times because of it) :). And DS still eludes me as well. Whatever, I can live without it :).

I also find it interesting that AoOC is the first challenge you won. LD already said it all, I would just repeat his words. Then again, due to the extra equipment, you do get a head start, so it is kinda easy as well.

And now an Ao100 win? Where did you leave the two monsters behind? Anyway, you have a future, Sir :).

Oh, one more thing - next time please enclose the mortem dump in "[ mortem]" - "[ /mortem]" tags (without the spaces). It's much more readable that way.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 17:30 »

Yet another case of AoOC ain't worth the difficulty we gave it.

It is, obviously, rebalanced slightly in repo.  Heheh.
I computed, therefore I was.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 21:46 »

On a sidenote: how on earth have you been able to complete AoOC before something easy like AoSh, AoMC, AoMr, AoLT, Ao100 or even AoB?
Tryharding the shizzle out the RNG? :P
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Captain Mac

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 21:08 »

I also find it interesting that AoOC is the first challenge you won. LD already said it all, I would just repeat his words. Then again, due to the extra equipment, you do get a head start, so it is kinda easy as well.
Bingo. I have an unhealthy obsession with the tactical shotgun as is, so having an assault shotty right out of the gate makes things so much easier, even on Hell difficulty. And traits rack up QUICK. Straight-up killing a mancubus at 1/0% gets you to 2/0% pretty reliably. The biggest problem with AoOC, in my opinion, is floor hazards. They're a really heavy movement tax on a low-level dude, so spawning in a lava-filled map can kill you by itself. Ditto barrels.

Yet another case of AoOC ain't worth the difficulty we gave it.

It is, obviously, rebalanced slightly in repo.  Heheh.

Interesting. I'm looking forward to only getting a handful of combat knives and an acid spitter. :3

Still completely lost regarding how the turds to pick up the DS, though. I feel like reading Berserk might help?
Pages: [1]