Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 09:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: GearHead is down  (Read 6056 times)

Michael

• Private FC
    • View Profile
GearHead is down
« on: January 23, 2014, 00:44 »

Early this month, the GearHead site (gearheadrpg.com) went down.  It's currently showing a hosting company page.

I contacted Joseph Hewitt about it, and he said those pages are still handled by Chaosforge.  So it's an issue here.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: GearHead is down
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 00:53 »

It was the subject of an attack.  I'm not sure if the server administrators has deemed it safe enough to bring back the server.

I'll inform KK and see what he thinks.
I computed, therefore I was.

Michael

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 01:16 »

It was the subject of an attack.

Not too surprising.  For a long while before it died, the site was serving SEO spam to anyone looking at an interior page with a User-Agent not whitelisted by the attacker (thus showing the SEO to Google but hiding it from normal users.  I noticed because they forgot to whitelist Lynx.).  I brought this up once and Joseph fixed it, but it reappeared soon after.

I guess they got more arrogant and did something that couldn't be ignored....

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 03:05 »

It's not due to spam attacks, it's due to us loosing finally the old server. We're working on getting the page back up.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Michael

• Private FC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 00:28 »

I notice it's partially up now.  "www.gearheadrpg.com" still doesn't work, but "gearhead.chaosforge.org" partially works (it didn't at the start of the crisis).  The main problem is that most internal links, including stylesheet links, are absolute and thus go back to the still-broken gearheadrpg.com domain.

WHOIS shows Joseph owns gearheadrpg.com directly, so I guess it's up to him to update the IP address.  I tried hacking my DNS to override *.gearheadrpg.com with the IP address of gearhead.chaosforge.org, and that seems to make it work fully for me.  (Although I haven't tried posting anything.)

The SEO spammers seem to be gone, for now.  That's nice.
Pages: [1]