Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 06:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24

Author Topic: Chaosforge 4e PBF - OOC  (Read 128014 times)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: Chaosforge 4e PBF - OOC
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2014, 09:36 »

OK, at this point some advice from the more experienced players would be much appreciated. I'm supposed to be a Striker, but right I now it appears I coulnd't even strike myself a black eye :S

Having rolled a 1 on the damage roll twice in a row left me unable to dispose of my first opponent, and now I have two to deal with. Furthermore: if I could land another hit on my first victim, I'm pretty sure he'd be disposed of. If I miss, on the other hand, chances are I'm dead meat before my next turn. I have no powers or items that allow me to take on two opponents at the same time, and I hope to god I won't be reduced to running away like a sissy (which I can't do without provoking an opportunity attack, in the current set up).

I'm not expecting detailed plans of action, just general advice would be great. I'll be able to follow up in about 2 hrs from now.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2014, 09:51 »

First of all I'd want to point one thing out - your first target isn't bloodied yet. THAT being said another thing to point out would be that I foolishly made that second zombie charge you forgetting... something. I'm going to let you figure that one out. Another thing - remember you get to Spirit Flay twice per encounter. And then a list: Convocation of Shadows. Inevitable Strike. Frost Dagger second power (the daily one). Think about those, there is a sane battle plan in there ;P
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

slave

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2014, 09:56 »

The cleric seems fine now so I was planning on coming to your aid on my next turn anyways. Whatever you do on your next turn, I suggest you shift one square to the right. Then, if both enemies are still standing after your turn, I can hit both of them with an area attack without hitting you.

Alternatively you could delay your turn until after mine and I could hit the stronger zombie with a debuff that gives -4 to all defences. That should give you a much better chance to hit. You could contact me telepathically and tell me to do so. (you are somewhat familiar with my powers)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:18 by slave »

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2014, 10:10 »

First of all I'd want to point one thing out - your first target isn't bloodied yet.

Christ, you're right.

THAT being said another thing to point out would be that I foolishly made that second zombie charge you forgetting... something.

Yeah I still needed to check that, the way I read the post I was under the impression that he wasn't actually charging, just moving.

And yeah, I do need to take a moment to go through my sheet again; I was at still at work half an hour ago and had to hurry home, and now I have to hurry to dinner again. It will have some additional attention shortly.

The cleric seems fine now so I was planning on coming to your aid on my next turn anyways. Whatever you do on your next turn, I suggest you shift one square to the right. Then, if both enemies are still standing after your turn, I can hit both of them with an area attack without hitting you.

Alternatively you could delay your turn after mine and I could hit the stronger zombie with a debuff that gives -4 to all defences. That should give you a much better chance to hit. You could contact me telepathically and tell me to do so. (you are somewhat familiar with my powers)

Thanks for that, I'll go into this in a bit more detail later as well.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2014, 10:17 »

Yeah I still needed to check that, the way I read the post I was under the impression that he wasn't actually charging, just moving.
He moved first, then charged, and it is indeed noted in the actions section of the post ;) (Maybe I should add some color or underline to charging in future, I'll think about it)

slave

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2014, 10:44 »

Ice is difficult terrain, but the square Q21 is only partially covered with ice. Since players don't take up a whole square, it's perhaps possible that a character can stand on the non-slippery part, thereby not counting Q21 as difficult terrain.

I'm asking, since if Isirius does delay his turn and Q21 is not difficult terrain, I could move to Q23 and Isirius could shift to Q21 and gain flanking.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:53 by slave »

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2014, 10:53 »

Q21 is half-covered in ice, I'm going to have to rule ti does count as difficult terrain. That's how I treated it when moving monsters anyway.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2014, 11:38 »

He moved first, then charged, and it is indeed noted in the actions section of the post ;) (Maybe I should add some color or underline to charging in future, I'll think about it)

Ah, I could have sworn Charge was a Move action, not a Standard action (so that making a charge attack would require 1 Move and 1 Standard action). That combined with the fact that I saw the word 'move' somewhere in there, led me to believe there was no Charging involved. Had I known this, I would have probably repositioned myself on my first turn, but hey.

In that case I'm going to interrupt the proceedings first...

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2014, 13:32 »

Alternatively you could delay your turn until after mine and I could hit the stronger zombie with a debuff that gives -4 to all defences. That should give you a much better chance to hit. You could contact me telepathically and tell me to do so. (you are somewhat familiar with my powers)

To answer this one, as I promised: let me start by pointing out that I'm very unfamiliar with the way combat is handled in D&D. It's probably very good at what it does, but the connection to the RPG element is totally lost in my experience. It becomes a game of numbers instead of a game of words.
Since I come from a word-heavy background, I'm trying to adjust to this mindset, but likewise I don't want to let go of my heritage. As such, although your ideas are really good, I have trouble accepting them for one simple reason: Isirius has no idea you're standing behind him - unless you were to warn him of this, of course. Eventually I went ahead and took your advice into account anyway, but it just feels unnatural to me.

Like I said, partly I'll have to get over this and adjust, partly I want to cling to this because I take pride in it: it's what makes the stories work. Regardless, I've learned a lot about how the system works in just three turns, and I intend to put that knowledge to good use. I'll get the hang of this game yet....

slave

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2014, 14:53 »

To answer this one, as I promised: let me start by pointing out that I'm very unfamiliar with the way combat is handled in D&D. It's probably very good at what it does, but the connection to the RPG element is totally lost in my experience. It becomes a game of numbers instead of a game of words.
Since I come from a word-heavy background, I'm trying to adjust to this mindset, but likewise I don't want to let go of my heritage. As such, although your ideas are really good, I have trouble accepting them for one simple reason: Isirius has no idea you're standing behind him - unless you were to warn him of this, of course. Eventually I went ahead and took your advice into account anyway, but it just feels unnatural to me.

Like I said, partly I'll have to get over this and adjust, partly I want to cling to this because I take pride in it: it's what makes the stories work. Regardless, I've learned a lot about how the system works in just three turns, and I intend to put that knowledge to good use. I'll get the hang of this game yet....

You can play however you feel comfortable playing. I, for example, can't really put myself in the shoes of my character, I'm mostly just doing whatever I feel like doing. That is to say, I'm mostly bending the character to my will rather than bending myself to fit the character. It's probably just because I'm new to roleplaying, but I do think that it fits the arcadey spirit of DnD.

For example, what you said about Isirius not being aware of Berek being behind him. In this arcadey setting, it just makes sense that he would be aware and it could be explained by instincts or simply just looking behind. At least that is how I feel about it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 15:32 by slave »

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #130 on: February 18, 2014, 04:36 »

For example, what you said about Isirius not being aware of Berek being behind him. In this arcadey setting, it just makes sense that he would be aware and it could be explained by instincts or simply just looking behind. At least that is how I feel about it.

And you're probably right, too. Like I said, I still need to adjust to the spirit of D&D very much. I'm getting there, though, slowly but surely.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 18, 2014, 05:05 »

LuckyDee, if it helps you in anyway, I learnt most of my DnD 3e/3.5e from CRPGs in the form of Neverwinter Nights.

4e I learnt from a previous PBF that Malek was running some time back.
I computed, therefore I was.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 18, 2014, 09:28 »

LuckyDee it might help a bit to stop considering situation "static" in combat. What I mean by that is that Isirius isn't just standing there waiting for his move RP-wise. Those turns last 6 to 10 (forgot which is in this edition). During that time Isirius is probably trying to attack several times (with actual rolled attacks being the ones where he actually had an opening) and more importantly keeping an eye out on surroundings ;)

As a sidenote that "no/little RP in D&D" is kind of wrong IMHO. You can RP in D&D... or in any other system. Hell, you can RP without any system at all. That's because you don't really need rules to do the Role-playing part of RPG. Playing DnD 4e just means you have more robust rule system to work with when the 'G' in RPG pops up :P

But really, a RP-heavy or at least RP-interesting games can, have been and will be made in 4e. It's just that it needs both players good and willing on that side, and more importantly a GM which is good at doing that sort of campaign. I am not one of those (and as I admitted before I do enjoy the combat aspect of the game more probably) so you get what you get ;)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #133 on: February 18, 2014, 09:33 »

LuckyDee, if it helps you in anyway, I learnt most of my DnD 3e/3.5e from CRPGs in the form of Neverwinter Nights.

Most of my D&D knowledge stems from Baldur's Gate :)

The thing about CRPGs is that... well... they're not really RPGs, in general. Take Baldur's Gate for example: there's tons of options to play an evil character, and zero reward. You'll just get less xp, pay more for your items and get attacked by puny guards a lot. So you start playing the numbers instead of the words, because playing the words will just suck ass once you stray off the beaten path.

Maybe I should attempt a more Baldurian approach here, though. With the added freedom PBF offers, I could still strike a balance between that and 'proper' RPG.

LuckyDee it might help a bit to stop considering situation "static" in combat. What I mean by that is that Isirius isn't just standing there waiting for his move RP-wise. Those turns last 6 to 10 (forgot which is in this edition). During that time Isirius is probably trying to attack several times (with actual rolled attacks being the ones where he actually had an opening) and more importantly keeping an eye out on surroundings ;)

As a sidenote that "no/little RP in D&D" is kind of wrong IMHO. You can RP in D&D... or in any other system. Hell, you can RP without any system at all. That's because you don't really need rules to do the Role-playing part of RPG. Playing DnD 4e just means you have more robust rule system to work with when the 'G' in RPG pops up :P

But really, a RP-heavy or at least RP-interesting games can, have been and will be made in 4e. It's just that it needs both players good and willing on that side, and more importantly a GM which is good at doing that sort of campaign. I am not one of those (and as I admitted before I do enjoy the combat aspect of the game more probably) so you get what you get ;)

Heh, well like I said yesterday, being new to D&D and trying to find out stuff about it, all you find is rules, rules, rules and players discussing them - to the point where you start wondering whether any of them even care about the story. I'll take your advice into account as well, thanks.

Xander Morhaime

• AliensRL Beta Tester
  • Colonel
  • Boot to the head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 18, 2014, 10:36 »

If there's a big demand for a more RP type of RPG, I could dust off one of my Dark Heresy campaigns...
12. A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 24