Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 11:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24

Author Topic: Chaosforge 4e PBF - OOC  (Read 128183 times)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: Chaosforge 4e PBF - OOC
« Reply #285 on: April 01, 2014, 12:43 »

Oooooh and I still have my Lesser Planar Ally to do some dirty work for me, too... goodie!
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

slave

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 02, 2014, 09:21 »

So I'm assuming that the new arrivals did not notice Berak or his Shaped Consciousness. Since Berak is still in the corridor, I'm also assuming that Berak is not in a position that is visible to them. Is the Shaped Consciousness even something that that are able to detect? Would I have to roll for stealth if I were to try to sneak away to warn the others?

Assuming that Isirius would be able to lure them into the room that the others are in and we were waiting for them in ambush, would that give us a surprise round?

Also, how exactly does stealth against monsters work. Do they roll against your stealth roll or is there some DC that the stealth roll has to beat?

And most importantly, is escaping a combat area allowed if we are in trouble?

EDIT: Also, LuckyDee, how good is Isirius's bluff skill?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:09 by slave »

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 02, 2014, 09:44 »

They did not notice Berak not Shaped Consciousness yet. Conjurations are visible so they'll probably notice the consciousness shortly, after they stop focusing on first thing that came into their view. As for Berak's physical body they probably won't notice him at the moment, but since we established the corridor is visible from the door to room where the party is, the opposite holds true also, even if the fact the human is on stairs down and has to look past Isirius makes it harder for him. Now based on your posts I am interpreting Berak as being at least partially through the short corridor so... I'd say you have a fair chance of remaining unnoticed if you keep still but trying to move away would require a Stealth check.

@Ambush - depends on how exactly it would play out

@Stealth - stealth rolls are usually made against passive Perception.

@Escaping combat - you could try but then again your opponents could follow you as well. Keep in mind that you're not exactly familiar with lay of the land around the Cairn.
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

slave

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 02, 2014, 09:58 »

- Is Bluff also against passive Insight?

- Would teleportation also require a stealth check?

- Would Isirius be able to get through the door leading to the room where the other are and around the corner with 2 run actions?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:00 by slave »

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 02, 2014, 10:05 »

@Bluff - under normal circumstances yes

@Teleportation - that would work without a stealth check but any encounter power used like that would be spent for the following combat if any (unless you'd somehow manage to stall for five minutes or more and spend that time resting)

Also, to be transparent, since conjurations are visible I am going to rule that it's disappearance (due to being intentionally unsummoned or due to you leaving the range needed to maintain it) would incur a small chance (I'm thinking a perception roll for the enemy vs high-ish DC for the level) to notice that something just happened. They won't be sure exactly what happened in such situation, but they'll know *something* did if they make the check.

Edit: @Isirius and running - if running, barely so
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:06 by Malek Deneith »

slave

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 02, 2014, 10:29 »

OK then, LuckyDee, let me know telepathically what you want to do.

If you want to risk bluffing your way to safety, let me know and Berak will fade away quietly.

If you want to leg it, let me know and I will either attack them or slow them down since they are in the range of my Shaped Consciousness (I can cast through it).

Question to the DM: The preceding actually depends on whether both Berak and Isirius can take an action before the enemies get a chance to roll for initiative / attack us.

All in all, I think that the corridor that I am in might be a good place to fight them. My area powers can be effective when enemies are bunched together in tight spaces. Perhaps we might try to hold the doorway leading to the room that the others are in.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:31 by slave »

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 02, 2014, 10:45 »

@Question - I'd say if you act abruptly enough you'd get one action each before initiative gets rolled.

slave

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 02, 2014, 10:49 »

So basically, 2 run actions to get to safety is not possible for Isirius.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 02, 2014, 10:55 »

Well he could get lucky on initiative ;)

slave

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 02, 2014, 11:12 »

And if he gets unlucky, he will be attacked by all 4 enemies and die. Not really an encouraging thought. I really wish I was higher level so that I could teleport him to safety.

EDIT: Well, I guess it could work if I can slow all of the enemies down and they don't all have ranged attacks that can reach Isirius. Are they bunched up enough so that I can slow all of them down with a static mote?

EDIT2: I don't suppose I could use an action point to lay down 2 static motes? (Or alternatively, could Isirius use an action point to take 2 run actions?)

EDIT3: I'm kind of wishing that I had taken that power that let me roll initiative with my history score instead. :/
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 11:18 by slave »

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 02, 2014, 11:43 »

@Edit - pardon my tardy reply, you forced me to fire up map creator to put the situation into solid image (Isirius' hp and status being holdover from post-battle until he decides to spend or not that last surge of his)
Map
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(and yes, the grid is a bit off near the top of the image - sadly I'm working with map backgrounds that don't line up nicely with the grid generated by maptool)

@Edit2 - I'd say no on account that we're working here with situation outside of normal combat turn structure

@Edit3 - There is one like that? O_O

slave

• Elder
  • Corporal
  • (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 02, 2014, 11:51 »

Thank god, I thought that they would be a lot closer to Isirius. Sorry for giving you trouble with the map, we might even not need it if Isirius decides not to run away.

@Edit3 - There is one like that? O_O
Strategist's Epiphany (History Utility 2): Daily, Free Action
   Trigger: You roll initiative
   Effect: You make a History check and can use the check result as your initiative check result.
Combined with my Guidance of the Past power, it would give me a reasonable chance of being at the top of the initiative list.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 13:07 by slave »

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #297 on: April 02, 2014, 11:52 »

Right. Before anything:

1)
Isirius sneaks towards the corridor's opening from the side

The map shows me approaching the doorway dead on, which is exactly what I was trying to avoid.

2) Re: bluff: I haven't had the luckiest streak ever, so far, but a +11 should count for something (:

3) Re: tactics and other scary words: this is all assuming that these NPCs are hostile/on Bortek's side. At least they didn't come running towards the sounds of screaming barbarians, snarling dire wolves and melting illusionists.

Please have a good look at 1), decide whether this changes anything and once this is resolved, I'll continue IC with some IC questions/actions.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 02, 2014, 12:04 »

@1 - fine point, missed that bit. Then again considering the situation I'd say the best can be done there is to move Isirius (and the consciousness by result) square to the left which, while no longer "dead on", would make no notable difference in the situation.

The rationale here is that moving over the tables wouldn't really be stealthy (and you were trying for that), and the other two remaining routes - far around tables - would a) make little sense in terms of scouting as that'd mean for him to pass close to an unchecked door or unchecked corridor and b) change the situation drastically to your disadvantage since in those setups the consciousness would no longer hidden by Isirius, even for a moment (so instantly spotted), and the encounter itself would happen a bit later, after the human at the very least came out of corridor, meaning further disadvantage to Isirius and more potential for Berak being immedietly spotted.

Won't bother with updating the map right now regardless, though if you insist on getting placed elsewhere I'll adjust this should hostilities start (*grumble mumble notenoughramtorunthedamnprogramwithoutclosingthebrowser mumble grumble*)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #299 on: April 02, 2014, 12:09 »

Yeah, thing is, I'd envisioned the room quite differently. How big a pain in the ass is it do follow up a successful recon by posting a bit of map of the scene discovered? If I had seen this map earlier, I would have used Lesser Planar Ally instead of trying any foolishness myself.

No matter anyway, I'm going to dive in...
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24