Chaosforge Forum

• April 24, 2024, 07:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Career game mode  (Read 4686 times)

Former_Human

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Career game mode
« on: February 03, 2014, 04:24 »

In the very beginning player can choose only one nameless class, without any skills, and only some of basic traits are available for leveling up. All other content should be unlocked by getting badges and achieving certain xp ranks.

For example:
killing X monsters with pistol will unlock "Son of gun" trait
"Marksman Bronze Badge" unlocks "Dualgunner" trait
"Marksman Silver Badge" unlocks Master pistol traits with limited potential
"Marksman Gold Badge" fully unlocks Master pistol traits
"Marksman Platinum Badge" allows player to start with better pistol (may be some unique that can't be found anywhere else in the game)
"Marksman Diamond Badge" gives some nice additional effect to pistol master traits or simply increase pistols damage

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
Re: Career game mode
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 04:40 »

Ouch. This would effectively disallow any serious builds at the start of the career, essentially forcing players to play masterless builds. The game is difficult enough as it is for newbies, and imposing such limitations would render the game nearly unwinnable by design for them.

And the Marksman badges example makes it even worse - such an example would force the player to win AoMr masterless to unlock master traits. Not exactly an easy task ...
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 05:34 »

No thank you.
I computed, therefore I was.

ParaSait

• Baffen :P
  • Elder
  • Lieutenant General
  • Happy Little Boozer
    • View Profile
    • MPSF
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 21:44 »

Ouch. This would effectively disallow any serious builds at the start of the career, essentially forcing players to play masterless builds. The game is difficult enough as it is for newbies, and imposing such limitations would render the game nearly unwinnable by design for them.

And the Marksman badges example makes it even worse - such an example would force the player to win AoMr masterless to unlock master traits. Not exactly an easy task ...
Could always do it the other way around. Locking overused features instead of unlocking. But I digress...
[18|7|3|0|0|0] [MED:13/43] [SPE:36/67] [ASM:11/40]

Check out my epic youtube channel!
Currently playing The Bard's Tale and System Shock 2 (coop with GrAV1t)!

Equality

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 01:36 »

I wish something like that here: http://forum.chaosforge.org/index.php/topic,6516.0.html
As a separate game mode, not standart. And you can't play this mode until get at least one victory and open at least one of special abilities from medals or badges.

winning and unlocking advanced and master traits in standart game in a such way makes game too hard
Once advanced DoomRL player
Find mysterious sword Dragonslayer
Say "Best thing ever found!" and start jumping around...
But he can't get the sword from the ground

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 21:30 »

Agree with thelaptop but I'll use more words.

DoomRL gameplay is a one-shot deal. Your performance one game is independent of your performance of the next game.

However, I agree that it does not have to be this way.
A very fun game can be made out of a 'career mode' where you can directly affect subsequent games with your performance in the current game. Desktop Dungeons does this well.

To properly pull off this kind of game, it basically needs to be designed this way from the ground up. Attempting to tweak the current DoomRL to support this type of gameplay would likely result in failure on both fronts. Given the lack of time the dev team has with DoomRL right now, it's simply not going to happen.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 21:51 by MaiZure »
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]
Pages: [1]