Chaosforge Forum

• May 13, 2024, 06:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [N!|AoCn|98%|12|YASD] Didn't go quite as planned... (Scavenger Diamond)  (Read 2452 times)

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile

So, I set out to get the Reaper Diamond badge, and just to make it a little more challenging, I wanted to see if I could get Daredevil Platinum at the same time by getting YAAM on N!  I failed, but I got another Diamond that I wasn't even trying for, so I guess it all works out.  :P

Since I was going for YAAM, I had planned to skip the Vaults, but then I remembered that a while back, someone said it's easy to clear the Vaults with Azrael's Scythe and enough med packs, so I went in there with the intention of alternating between using the Whisper of Death attack and popping med packs until everything was dead and then exiting before anything could revive.  That was the plan; in and out in the space of five seconds or so.  Unfortunately, just before I killed the last Arch-Vile, they apparently revived two of the Revenants and at that point I had used all my medpacks, so I thought I was going to have to abandon any chance of getting Daredevil Platinum or Scavenger Diamond...  :(  but then, on a whim, I used a phase device, the only phase device I found in the entire game, and it took me right into the centre vault, where both Revenants were still alive and heavily wounded!  (Well, if I'd known that would work, I wouldn't have weakened myself with the Whisper of Death!)  :P  I killed them, destroyed their bodies, and got myself Scavenger Diamond!  :)  Yay!  :D

The loss of all those medpacks worried me about my ability to take on the Mortuary, but fortunately, I got four medpacks on the next level and I was looking in good shape again, especially since, in the City of Skulls, I got three hatred skulls!  I used one in Unholy Cathedral to get the Angel of Death and the other two to help clear corpses and let me tear around the Mortuary with my scythe.  In retrospect, I was perhaps a little too eager to charge into the fray and took a lot more damage than I needed to, but I wanted to get to the nuclear BFG as quickly as possible, since, as I discovered in a previous game, it grants limitless ability to dispose of corpses for free.  :)  It was a rough battle that included one particularly harrowing moment when I was down to 2% health and out of medpacks and I thought I was going to die because I had enemies approaching me from multiple directions and I had to fire off a couple of BFG blasts from my bulk-modded BFG that I had mostly brought along just for the extra cells for my plasma rifle; I was reluctant to do this, because I was worried about blowing up useful supplies, but I had no other choice and somehow, luckily, I actually managed to clear the way to the upper-right corner with the nuclear BFG and a supercharge still intact!  Once I got there, I looked at my character screen and saw from the kill count that there were 102 enemies left with several of them approaching me and the brief surge of hope I had felt died again.  What followed was a tense skirmish, rapidly juggling between all of my weapons, keeping the nuclear BFG in my prepared slot so it could recharge while I fended off attackers with my chaingun, plasma rifle, combat shotgun and rocket launcher.  (I never got the mod packs to modify them properly, so I had to make do with what I had)  I was reduced to 2% (again!) by the time I cleared enough enemies and corpses to give me some breathing room and then it was a pain-stakingly slow battle, making my way across the battlefield, taking out one enemy at a time and destroying corpses with the nuclear BFG and/or rocket launcher.  I would very much liked to have camped the corpse of an arachnotron or commando to get my supply of cells back, (my BFG was empty and I barely had enough to keep my plasma rifle fed) but it was unsafe to do so until the point that I had cleared about half the map, so I relied pretty heavily on bullets and shells which I was able to stock up with the help of a couple of captains and sergeants.  (I would not have survived as long as I had without the power battery from the Spider's Lair)  All things considered, I hung on a surprisingly long time and even got down to the last 16 enemies, when I reloaded my shotgun at the wrong time, when the Revenant was one square out of my visual radius and during the one second reload time, he moved into view and fired.  In retrospect, there really wasn't any reason not to keep backing up and firing from further outside his visual radius, and I could have easily enough pulled this off from that point, but it was late and I was tired and yadda yadda yadda, you've heard me say it before, but I really shouldn't play while tired.  :P

Oh well, I suppose it wasn't a total loss; at least it came with an epic story!  :)  If I try this again, I'm probably not going to try anything fancy again and just go for the win.

--------------------------------------------------------------
 DoomRL (0.9.9.7) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Tormuse, level 14 Apostle Chaos Lt. Colonel Technician,
 couldn't evade a revenant's fireball on level 4 of Hell.
 He survived 179679 turns and scored 451283 points.
 He played for 1 day, 1 hour, 51 minutes and 29 seconds.
 He opposed the Nightmare!

He killed 1364 out of 1380 hellspawn. (98%)
 He held his right to remain violent.
 He was an Angel of Confidence!

-- Special levels --------------------------------------------

Levels generated : 8
  Levels visited   : 7
  Levels completed : 6

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

Cyberdemon's Head
  UAC Star (silver cluster)
  Hell Armorer Badge
  Scavenger Diamond Badge

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

###########################################################
  }........................................................##
  ..........................................................#
  .......................................................>.##
  .................................................%........#
  .hc.....|.|...............................................#
  ..........................................%...............#
  .....................................%....................#
  ...................................X......................#
  ........................R.................................#
  .......................................................>.##
  .B........................................................#
  .........................................................##
  ###########################################################

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 0/50   Experience 99318/14
  ToHit Ranged +4  ToHit Melee +4  ToDmg Ranged +2  ToDmg Melee +2

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Class : Technician

Ironman          (Level 2)
    Finesse          (Level 2)
    Hellrunner       (Level 2)
    Son of a bitch   (Level 2)
    Eagle Eye        (Level 2)
    Juggler          (Level 1)
    Dodgemaster      (Level 1)
    Intuition        (Level 2)

SoB->SoB->EE->HR->EE->Int->Int->Fin->HR->DM->Jug->Fin->Iro->Iro->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]   powered blue armor [3/3] (89%)
    [b] [ Weapon     ]   combat shotgun (7d3) [2/5] (T1)
    [c] [ Boots      ]   tactical boots [0/0] (100%)
    [d] [ Prepared   ]   nuclear BFG 9000 (8d6) [40/40]

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] rocket launcher (6d6) [1/1] (F1)
    [b] chaingun (1d6)x4 [36/40] (T1)
    [c] plasma rifle (1d8)x6 [40/40] (P1)
    [d] BFG 9000 (10d6) [130/130] (B1)
    [e] Azrael's Scythe (9d9)
    [f] 10mm ammo (x140)
    [g] 10mm ammo (x140)
    [h] 10mm ammo (x140)
    [i] 10mm ammo (x124)
    [j] shotgun shell (x65)
    [k] shotgun shell (x70)
    [l] shotgun shell (x70)
    [m] rocket (x14)
    [n] rocket (x10)
    [o] power cell (x70)
    [p] power cell (x70)
    [q] power cell (x58)
    [r] envirosuit pack
    [s] 10mm ammo chain (x250)
    [t] shell box (x100)
    [u] shell box (x100)

-- Resistances -----------------------------------------------

Melee      - internal 0%    torso 25%   feet 0%   
    Plasma     - internal 0%    torso 40%   feet 0%   

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

86 former humans
    156 former sergeants
    74 former captains
    138 imps
    92 demons
    436 lost souls
    20 cacodemons
    41 hell knights
    72 barons of hell
    71 arachnotrons
    42 former commandos
    40 pain elementals
    45 revenants
    19 mancubi
    28 arch-viles
    1 shambler
    1 agony elemental
    1 Angel of Death
    1 Cyberdemon

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

On level 1 he entered Hell's Armory.
  On level 1 he assembled a chainsword!
  He destroyed the evil within and reaped the rewards!
  On level 3 he witnessed the Wall.
  He massacred the evil behind the Wall!
  On level 4 he found the City of Skulls.
  He wiped out the City of Skulls.
  On level 5 he assembled a power armor!
  On level 6 he ventured into the Spider's Lair.
  He cleared the Lair, kickin' serious spider ass!
  On level 8 he found the Tower of Babel!
  On level 9 he invaded the Unholy Cathedral!
  On level 9 he found the Azrael's Scythe!
  He then destroyed the Unholy Cathedral!
  Entering level 10 he was almost dead...
  On level 10 he found the Grammaton Cleric Beretta!
  On level 11 he assembled a tactical boots!
  On level 11 he entered the Vaults.
  He managed to clear the Vaults completely!
  On level 12 he was foolish enough to enter the Mortuary!
  On level 12 he finally couldn't evade a revenant's fireball.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

You see : a revenant (wounded) | blood | [ m ]ore
 You pump a shell into the shotgun chamber.
 You load a shell into the combat shotgun.
 Fire -- Choose target...
 You see : pool of blood
 You pump a shell into the shotgun chamber.
 Fire -- Choose target...
 You see : a revenant (heavily wounded) | blood | [ m ]ore
 You pump a shell into the combat shotgun chamber.
 Fire -- Choose target...
 You see : a revenant (severely wounded) | blood | [ m ]ore
 You pump a shell into the combat shotgun chamber.
 You load a shell into the combat shotgun. You are hit! You die!... Press
 <Enter>...

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

1088 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
 823 of those were killed.
 4 of those were killed by something unknown.
 147 didn't read the thermonuclear bomb manual.
 And 33 couldn't handle the stress and committed a stupid suicide.

81 souls destroyed the Mastermind...
 4 sacrificed itself for the good of mankind.
 54 killed the bitch and survived.
 23 showed that it can outsmart Hell itself.

Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Equality

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

don't know how you do that %) N!, AoC, and Cyberdemon's Head? and clear Vaults? and 98% kills?
Well, Hells Armory (on N!, past 1 level, player level not more then 3? damn!). Well, The Wall (RL, combat shotgun). Ok, CoS - no corpses. Spiders Lair? UC without Brute (and no piercing blade knife for throw)? It was a terrific run!
Once advanced DoomRL player
Find mysterious sword Dragonslayer
Say "Best thing ever found!" and start jumping around...
But he can't get the sword from the ground

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile

One more thing I forgot to mention:  I died while 96% of the way to the next level and there was one more Arch-Vile out there that would have put me over the top.  If I had been able to kill him, I would've taken a level in reloader and this death wouldn't have happened.  *Sigh*...

Cyberdemon's Head?

Dodgemaster makes it relatively easy as long as you don't slip up.  dodge back and forth while he's firing and fire while he's reloading.  In this case, I had a rocket box which let me speedload the missile launcher, which was helpful.  I may have fired a couple of BFG blasts too.  :)

and clear Vaults?

*Incoming chicken noises*

That was luck...  luck, luck, luck, luck, luck...  :P

and 98% kills?

At this point, I'm pretty well practiced at N! body disposal.  Lots of corner-shooting enemies from a doorway until they're close to dead and then finishing them off in the doorway.  I would also sometimes camp the corpses of enemies that drop ammo when it was convenient to do so.  It also helped that there was a rocket launcher in Hell's Armory for anywhere there wasn't a doorway.

Well, Hells Armory (on N!, past 1 level, player level not more then 3? damn!).

I entered the level invulnerable, which was helpful for getting rid of a bunch of the cacodemons (knocking them into lava) and after that, enemies can only approach from one direction.  The nice thing about Hell's Armory is that it's largely linear, which makes it easy to radar shoot with rapid-fire weapons.  Lots of doorways too.  :)

Well, The Wall (RL, combat shotgun).

There was an assault shotgun in the armoury that I used for the corner-shooting (after breaking down the wall in a manner that allowed comfortable corner-shooting) and I destroyed the bodies with my firestorm-modded rocket launcher.  I made my hole in the wall at the top of the map, so that when I wanted bodies destroyed, I could shoot the top of the map, thereby avoiding damage to my cover.

I later got rid of the assault shotgun and missile launcher in favour of the combat shotgun and rocket launcher to help take advantage of juggler.

Ok, CoS - no corpses.

Yeah, it's a relief to not have to worry about bodies reviving for a bit, kind of the polar opposite of the Mortuary.  :)

Spiders Lair?

I had an easier time than usual; lots of corner-shooting with the plasma rifle, taking advantage of Int 2, and I was able to stock up on energy cells.

UC without Brute (and no piercing blade knife for throw)?

I was lucky here too in that there was a berserk pack before UC that lasted long enough to let me kill half of the demons.  I made sure to spread out their corpses so that the hatred skull would have lots of fodder to work with.  The powered armour was helpful for the melee protection, but I still took more damage than I would have liked; in retrospect, I should've taken advantage of my HR 2 to lure a bunch of the demons into a lava bath, since I didn't need all of their bodies to charge the hatred skull enough to kill the AoD.

And a sidenote about the powered armour:  I would have liked to have made it with red armour, but I hadn't found any up until that point, so I decided to make do with the blue armour.  Less than two seconds after I assembled it, I found my first suit of red armour.  (Seriously!  1.99 seconds of game time; I calculated it!)  :P

It was a terrific run!

Thank you!  :D
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Ridonk

• Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

Not got anything to say here apart from 'NICE'.

All my questions were answered in the above post :)

(N! Hell's Armoury? All bodies knocked into lava or in doorways? Oooof...)

PS - Does eveything have to be perma dead to get the cache? I'm guessing if something (anything) revives then the cache doesn't open?

Well nearly all my questions :)

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile

Everything has to be dead at the same time for the cache to open.  They don't necessarily have to be "permadead," (ie with the bodies destroyed) but it's a good idea if you want to complete the level, because you don't get credit for completing the level unless everything is dead when you leave the level.  However, if you don't care about getting credit for completion and just want the stuff in the cache, then it's worth noting that if something revives after the cache is open, it remains open so having them permadead is optional.

I hope that answers the question without being too confusing.  :)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Pages: [1]