Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 02:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [M|AoMr|YAVP x3] All kinds of Marksman  (Read 2813 times)

Equality

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
[M|AoMr|YAVP x3] All kinds of Marksman
« on: February 14, 2014, 04:37 »

For a long time playing .996, I never win as Marksman. Damn, how? How the man with only pistols can kill those mancubi - arch-viles - and so on?
.997 make things easy. Of course, I gain experience and understand gun kata - but .997 more favor to Marksman anyway.

Most easy way for Marksman -
Spoiler: GunKata Scout. (click to show/hide)
I finish that as 1st challenge as early as possible. Nice. But what about technician and marine? Some times I tried that but not succeded... About 50-70 dead soldiers in mortems. Well - each death give some player experience and now:

and 
Spoiler: BulletDance Marine (click to show/hide)

For players who maybe start play and can't complete AoMr - can say the next (only for beginners! from one medium skilled):
  • do not enter all special levels. Arena is a good place only for Dualgunners and quick - that is for Scout. May be... sometime later... geting a Tormuse-like skills :) The same about Mortuary/Limbo. If you are not going Mortuary - you do not need CoS or Abyssal Plains. Firing to lost souls from pistols when surrounded is a best and quick way to die. Do not need melee weapons - do not enter UC. Leave Arena or CC - do not enter Vaults.
  • ammo. About 5 packs in inventory must be enough (500 10mm bullets).
  • medpacks. Only large and not more than 5. Actually about 3 are quite enough.
  • armor. I like armor! I re-equip that if have a chance - choose more suitable. One for plasma, one for fire and one for bullets. The same about boots. One tactical or any +speed, one for lava if lucky.
  • weapons. Standart pistols, modded to speedloaders are our best friends. Combat or GCB quite rare. Usually on HNTR we do not get level more than 10 - so no Wizkid. Assemble speedloaders as early as possible.
  • traits. Go to master trait ASAP. Well sometimes masterless build good. But not for nubie Marksman.

what pistol assembly best for Technician? If you plan storm the Wall and than die - energy pistol only way for that. If you want victory - stormbolter is a best thing you can do. Full compensation for blocked DG and good damage (MSs always do a max damage!)
BulletDance Marine really ammo-eating machine. 1 shot = 4 bullets. 3 shots, reload. If you choose TH2, 2 shots and reload. The game become "find a cover, reload and fire from corner". Usually you need about 100-150 ammo for clear 1 level.
About CatEye - good if you plan AoMr+Ao100 dual angel challenge. But for HNTR-HMP we do not gain enough experience for that. Nubie Marksman Scouts must have GunKata +Int2.

What special levels Marksman (not Tormuse ;)) CAN clear?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Once advanced DoomRL player
Find mysterious sword Dragonslayer
Say "Best thing ever found!" and start jumping around...
But he can't get the sword from the ground

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
Re: [M|AoMr|YAVP x3] All kinds of Marksman
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 19:02 »

Haha, thanks for the praise.  :)  This is a really good analysis of AoMr strategy!  Suddenly, I have the urge to try to get Marksman Conqueror!  :P  (Sorry, I had to say it)  ;)  I have a few comments to make:

• ammo. About 5 packs in inventory must be enough (500 10mm bullets).

Only 5?  I would say that since you don't need any other ammo types or any other weapons in AoMr, you should get as many bullets as you can get!  Fill 'er up!  :)

traits. Go to master trait ASAP. Well sometimes masterless build good. But not for nubie Marksman.[/li][/list]

I disagree with this.  Back when I was a newbie, I frequently died early if I went straight to the master trait and I did better when I started getting Ironman and Tough as Nails, because back then, I hadn't learned how to avoid getting hit.  I just looked back through my old mortems and it took 76 tries at AoMr before I won.  It was interesting to see how my strategy adapted and improved over time as I experimented with different builds.  Here's the mortem from the first time I won AoMr:

(I hope it's okay that I'm posting a mortem in your thread, Equality)  :)

Up until that point, every game where I got Gun Kata, (or tried to get it) I died.  Playing masterless was a big help for me and I would encourage newcomers to give it a try if that's what helps them.

What special levels Marksman (not Tormuse ;)) CAN clear?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

More good analysis here.  (Even I'm not crazy enough to try CoS, Abyssal Plains, UC, or Mortuary in AoMr...  or am I?  Hmm...)  :P

Hell's Arena is tough, but if you take on one enemy at a time, and use the pillars for cover, it's doable.  Just run away and take cover if you find yourself surrounded.

I also agree that Phobos Lab is big trouble for a pistol build, but if you're fast enough, you might just be able to lead those demons into an acid bath.

Spider's Lair is also tough, but with some practice, figuring out what makes the best cover, it could be doable as long as you can take on one Arachnotron at a time.  (Ammo will be a problem on that level unless you have an energy pistol that makes use of the cells)

As for Vaults, I think that if you're good enough to clear Hell's Arena and Chained Court, Vaults shouldn't be a problem.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Juice

• Elder
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [M|AoMr|YAVP x3] All kinds of Marksman
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 01:26 »

when playing masterlees pistol build, I'd really emphasize the importance of getting SoG 3 first. Then, with dualgunner, everything just melts and you can easily focus on expanding the character in the playstyle you want :)
[25|22|20|15|5|0]
Cyberdemon General
Pages: [1]