Chaosforge Forum

• April 17, 2024, 21:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Using weapons other than melee+shotguns feels... freeing  (Read 2877 times)

aka_Cthulhu

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

For the longest time ever, I stuck with pretty much a similar build. Shotguns and close range weapons, usually with skills aimed at the berserker, and all was well. I like playing Ao100, and usually I find all I need. Sometimes the Jackhammer, sometimes the butcher's cleaver. If I'm lucky I'd mod a nano shrapnel from a super shotgun and slowly but surely kill everything on the floor. And on a very lucky run, I even got to wield the Dragonslayer (unfortunately, I didn't find the berserker armor). However, a long while back I tried that on Arch666 on Hurt Me Plenty and I saw the fatal flaw on what I've been doing. It takes way too long to clear a floor. Not to mention it was noisy as hell blasting a shotgun from a safe distance.

So I went and tried pistols first. And I gotta say it was a ton of fun using gun kata. I can clear crowds of enemies at such a fast speed that it felt too easy. Though my previous encounter with an agony elemental soon showed some problems, it was still a ton of fun.

Of course, not having the screen on a near-permanent berserk state of red-ness was good too.

I should start trying out other weapons as well. Maybe rockets or energy weapons on my next run. Any suggestions on a specific weapon build for fun times?

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: Using weapons other than melee+shotguns feels... freeing
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 11:56 »

As for pistols: Bullet Dance is a build I have had nothing but trouble with. Gun Kata brought me mixed results, but playing Sharpshooter is always a blast.

Apart from that I've only really started playing rapid fire builds pretty recently, and in that case Ammochain is just the safest bet you could go for. If you manage to obtain something nanomachic before a master trait (or you're playing Ao100 / AAo666, where this is almost inevitable), go masterless instead.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 12:05 »

I'm not so much a fan of Ammochain because it blocks Eagle Eye.  Rapid-fire weapons are absolutely devastating when their accuracy is boosted.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 15:26 »

MCe rapid fire build.  I've had nice outcomes with that.  Playing on Ao100 also means you are very likely to find a minigun or two, which gives you an extra 1.5 stacks of 10mm.

MAC builds play like MSs builds -- you duck behind a corner, lay down tons of suppressive/oppressive fire, consume minimal ammunition, and then advance when everything's dead.  EE is overrated if you can dish out lots of lead in the direction.  Works wonders with a plasma rifle too, though you may want to slap on an A-mod on that one.  Chainguns can get away without anything (P-mod is nice though), but a single A-mod is recommended as well.  T-mod on plasma rifle is also a good idea.

Edit: Yeah yeah I know I said accuracy is over-rated, but you can only send that many projectiles in the air from a continuous burst.  At higher dLevs, that little bit of accuracy improvement can mean the difference between killing in one volley or killing in two volleys.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 15:30 by thelaptop »
I computed, therefore I was.

Equality

• Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 21:42 »

try knifes ;) melee really fun, especially if you find/mod indestructible armor. For Ao100 best with OPA-modded phaseshifting armor + antigrav phaseshifting boots. You rush to anything. kill anything. And go away leaving blood behind. Speed and damage is all that you need. But be ready for keyboard control.

Ouch, you also try that %)

Only 4 choices:
Pistols
Melee
Shotguns
rapid-fire (plasma rifle and specials like laser rifle/nuclear plasma looks best choice)

And if you plan destroy anything (and those ammoboxes, medikits and rare nano-mod too!):
Rocket launchers
BFG-s

The last group I don't use, usually.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 22:24 by Equality »
Once advanced DoomRL player
Find mysterious sword Dragonslayer
Say "Best thing ever found!" and start jumping around...
But he can't get the sword from the ground

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 05:34 »

My most fun builds are pistol, shotgun, melee, juggler-based hybrid builds.

My second favourite are masterless rapidfire builds. Forget ammochain, part of what makes rapidfire weapons so good is the insanely strong earlygame you get from going EE-EE-SoaB-SoaB-TH.
Theny you find a nano pack in the armoury, and have an even-more-insanely strong lategame win!
(Or you don't, in which case you still have a lot of fun with plasmagun/hyperblaster/chaingun/rocket switching.
Badges:
DRL:26 22 22 19 13 6
  JH:15 13 11   7   2
Pages: [1]