Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 13:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I.M. Selim Lemouchi  (Read 5099 times)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
I.M. Selim Lemouchi
« on: March 13, 2014, 13:29 »

In the night of Tuesday March 4th 2014 Selim Lemouchi, up until its disbandment end of last year the guitarist and writer for The Devil's Blood, passed away. I saw a couple of news items pass by on Facebook, shared by some of my friends, and wondered what the fuss was about. Selim turns out to have been a local musician who's been in a ton of bands, all in the rock/metal/punk scene. I didn't know him personally, but I encountered him a couple of times - years ago already - in the company of mutual friends. I now wish I had taken the chance to get to know him better. He wasn't just a very talented musician, he was one of those people who, the instant you first see them and hear them talk, strikes you as... well just plain awesome. He was friendly, respectful and funny, and now, posthumously, the more I see and read about him, the more I feel he and I had a shitload of stuff in common.

And even though it's safe to say I actually didn't know him at all, his death has struck me deeply. More so because - although nothing has been confirmed as of yet - the chances that he died by his own hand are pretty high. The feelings it evokes defy description. For such a beautiful person to see no other way to continue than this...

I can only hope he got what he wanted.

Since I respect you people as a community very much, and since I know there's a fair share of metalheads among you who might have heard this news as well, I wanted to share the impact of this story with you. Instead of sitting around moping I channeled the energy his death awakened in me into a song, serving both to pay my respects to a kindred spirit and to deal with the grief I was stricken by ever since I realized the full extent of the news I dismissed so casually at first glance.

This is Unturned. I hope at some time it can offer you the same solace I expect to find in it.

Thank you for reading.

[EDIT]: Now also available on YouTube, courtesy of Jérôme Siegelaer.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 13:05 by LuckyDee »
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: I.M. Selim Lemouchi
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 14:28 »

Listening to your song as I write this. I can't say it's a huge hit with me, but that comes as no surprise, as it's not really my genre. However, I myself am struck by your post. It's always a tragedy when people, especially talented or promising people, end their lives, but it is also always a good thing when people strive to do something they find meaningful, and I'm glad I could be a part of you doing so. I've been pushing to keep up with my own meaningful things, and a good reminder like this goes a long way. Thank you for posting this, LuckyDee.
0.9.9.7- Hell Baron 1st Lieutenant: (23|13|5|0|0)

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 14:32 »

Thank you for taking the time to contemplate on this. It really means a lot to me.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 02:15 »

I have much the same thoughts as Thiebs.  I'm sorry for your loss, LuckyDee.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 02:27 »

Thanks, mate. Writing and recording the song allowed me to channel all the shit that was going through my head, and then posting it here allowed me to let it all go. It was a very cathartic experience. Having it make other people stop and think for a minute feels very rewarding.

Roland LaGoy

• Lead Composer & Sound Designer
  • DevTeam
  • Sergeant
  • The Howling Of God
    • View Profile
    • Bandcamp (Downloadable OSTS)
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 01:11 »

Daym, man... melancholy stuff.
Raw, like you brought up, absolutely.
That abrupt ending, though... it made the track. Dark!

How did you record the guitars? Did you pan them far left and far right?
Annnnnddd, how many mics did you use on the drums?

Spot-on, mhm... sure it's nice to create/let-loose something that means a ton.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 04:36 »

Thanks. I felt the lack of polish would only do the whole thing justice. And the abrupt ending isn't quite devoid of symbolism, of course...

How did you record the guitars? Did you pan them far left and far right?

Actually, it's a mono track. There's one rhythm guitar which was recorded on 3 channels: a direct mic, another one about 7 feet behind it and a DI signal fed through an amp/fuzz plug-in. All I did was delay the 2nd and 3rd channel, about 8 and 14 ms iirc. That really opened up the sound.

Annnnnddd, how many mics did you use on the drums?

Erm... 1. First time I ever tried this, and it just worked. The track's heavily overcompressed of course, but that's a design choice. Only thing I had to add was a copy of the track fed through a band-pass filter to capture the essence of the snare, which I then fed through a reverb.

Thanks for your feedback, as a fellow musician I really appreciate it.
Pages: [1]