Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 05:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: One round in the chamber  (Read 2644 times)

RickVoid

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
One round in the chamber
« on: February 26, 2007, 13:30 »

I don't know if this can be done, but in reality if you put a magazine in a pistol, pull back the slide, set the hammer, and let the slide go back down, it chambers a round. Then, if you remove the magazine, load another round, and slide it back into the pistol, you have an extra bullet to use.

In other words, reload with a round in the chamber. In Doom RL, this would give you 7 rounds in a standard pistol, and 14 total if you have the dualgunner trait. This could also work with the combat shotgun. (9 shells up with 8, but has little impact if you go the shottyman route)

I'd like to find out if this is do-able, and if so, debate the usefullness vs impact on balance with everybody else.
Campbell: Snake, press the action button.
Snake: ... What?
Campbell: The action button, on the control pad.
Snake: What!?

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: One round in the chamber
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 13:43 »

The R6 games actually use this but IMO it only makes sense in a realistic/tactical context. The main point of the chambered round usually is that you can replace the magazine without having to manually chamber the first round/cock the bolt, it reduces the overall reloading time.
Since DoomRL (and Doom) are not really about realism and also don't have a magazine based ammo system, I don't think it would really add to the game to implement something like this. Also, since there are no assault rifles in the game it would only affect the pistols and the combat shotty.
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 23:12 »

Not to mention it would end up being the most underused feature ever.

I know it sounds good in theory, but I don't think it would work very well at all in game.

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 06:58 »

I can see this maybe getting used in AoMr games when you just need one more shot to bring down that last bastard Arach/Vile.  Who's going to use it for anything else, though?  An extra round in the BFG won't make it any more awesome, after all. ;P

RickVoid

• Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 15:06 »

I can see this maybe getting used in AoMr games when you just need one more shot to bring down that last bastard Arach/Vile.  Who's going to use it for anything else, though?  An extra round in the BFG won't make it any more awesome, after all. ;P

[argumentative-semi-rant] Well, as the BFG doesn't use rounds, this doesn't apply, does it? [/argumentative-semi-rant]

Yeah, you're all right. I'm gonna close this then.
Campbell: Snake, press the action button.
Snake: ... What?
Campbell: The action button, on the control pad.
Snake: What!?
Pages: [1]