Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 09:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Megabuster needs major buff  (Read 6434 times)

Steve

• Supporter of Chaos
  • Corporal
  • Misplaced Soul
    • View Profile
Megabuster needs major buff
« on: March 20, 2014, 23:51 »

I've been trying out many methods on using the Megabuster  and so far I haven't found even one effective use for it. It can fire three or four bursts depending on whether or not you have triggerhappy and it doesn't even fire big bursts.  It's reload time is massive and it eats through ammo so fast you need to have multiple stacks just to take down a hell knight. the damage is not very impressive regardless of what fire mode it is in and I can say the same for the accuracy too.  It isn't even compatible with ammochain.  I have yet to find a real situation where i can use it to better effect than a chaingun without the scavenger perk.

It's not all bad though. I like the concept enough that I toy around with it in just about every run I find it even if I would be better off using something else. There seem to be a few ways to fix it. For example you could make it take one ammo per shot and give it a decent ammo efficiency. You could also buff the damage and accuracy enough to justify using 5 bullets per shot.

I think either one of these suggestions or perhaps a bit of each could make the Megabuster a usable weapon but as it is, it is a pretty disappointing unique to find.
You found the chain-rocket launcher!

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
Re: Megabuster needs major buff
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 13:53 »

Note to dev team - up the damage on all modes.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 23:15 »

I was under the impression that the Megabuster was one of the weapons that was added as part of that fundraiser where people could get their choice of specials included in this version if they donated enough money.  (I could be wrong?)  As such, it isn't necessarily balanced; same with a bunch of the specials added in this version, such as Mjollnir, Charch's Null Pointer, the Frag Shotgun, and the Subtle Knife.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Steve

• Supporter of Chaos
  • Corporal
  • Misplaced Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 08:48 »

I was under the impression that the Megabuster was one of the weapons that was added as part of that fundraiser where people could get their choice of specials included in this version if they donated enough money.  (I could be wrong?)  As such, it isn't necessarily balanced; same with a bunch of the specials added in this version, such as Mjollnir, Charch's Null Pointer, the Frag Shotgun, and the Subtle Knife.

While it is true that these weapons are underpowered for the most part, they do each have their own niche. Mjollnir is able to hit things at a range using melee bonuses and during angel of berserk without the need to hoard combat knifes. Charch's null pointer can kill enemies one on one without taking damage provided you have enough energy cells. The Frag Shotgun can use bullets, which saved my life on one occasion in angel of shotgunnery when I ran out of shells. The Subtle Knife can clear a room of former sergeants in a pinch during a melee only game.

The megabuster has never done me any real good though. I have tried on many occasions to make it useful but I can't find any niche.
You found the chain-rocket launcher!

dougjoe2e

• Elder
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 18:52 »

Random crazy ideas about the MegaBuster:

When first discovered, it could only have one mode available (a small damage 3-shot plasma burst).  It would take cells to reload.  I also think it would be interesting if this mode could be charged (perhaps by a regular reload, prompted, when already full?):  the first charge takes a certain amount of time, changes the attack to a more damaging one-projectile plasma attack, and burns half the clip.  The second charge takes even longer, changes the attack to an even-more damaging radius 1 plasma attack, and burns the whole clip.  Kinda like the Beretta in reverse, plus the time to charge.

When enough of certain enemies are killed while wielding the MegaBuster, it "learns" new modes based on those enemies, most likely toned-down versions of their attacks.  For example, killing the Cyberdemon might give you a "rocket" mode with a damage of 3d3 and blast radius of two.  Killing a Shambler (or two) would give some lesser-powered version of their lightning attack.  Killing the lava elemental would give a mode similar to the Napalm Launcher.  The clip size and required ammo type would be different for each mode.

Lastly, the MegaBuster would allow the player to change modes via Alt-reload at a small time cost (again, similar to the Beretta).

I don't know if any of this is even possible or balanced, but from a "flavor" standpoint, I think it would be interesting.
0.9.9.1:Arch-Vile Colonel [19/19/12/3/0]
0.9.9.2:Hell Baron Captain [21/12/7/1/0]
0.9.9.3:Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant  [18/9/7/1/0]
0.9.9.4:Mancubus 2nd Lieutenant  [17/9/7/1/0]

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 05:37 »

I support all of this. Go, Megaman! Anyway, my only thing with this is that it would be hard to convey any of this to the player. It would need a far more extensive description in the inventory. Which is why I think that it should do this, but not quite the same way. It needs a pop-up notification or something when you pick it up, and when you unlock new modes. (Remember, even Megaman had that cool screen where it showed him shooting the new-found power a few times before you continued: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5u5dzWrDf1rtpj2lo1_400.gif)
0.9.9.7- Hell Baron 1st Lieutenant: (23|13|5|0|0)

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 06:31 »

Aaiieee... let's not do down the path of full-screen animation support for DoomRL for that.

I'm swamped with work these couple of weeks.  Let me read the suggestions and mull over the fix a little.  Many good ideas, most of them vague enough that they require further interpretation.
I computed, therefore I was.

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 06:34 »

Aaiieee... let's not do down the path of full-screen animation support for DoomRL for that.
As cool as a little ASCII doomguy shooting lightning bolts across the screen would be, I really meant a pop-up text that said something like 'Your Megabuster can shoot lightning now! Use 'R' to switch modes!'

...but if you're feeling ambitious...
0.9.9.7- Hell Baron 1st Lieutenant: (23|13|5|0|0)

Sum Gai

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 05:42 »

What if the mega buster was 'cursed'?

Make it's regular fire 'f' was always 3 shots, and the alternate fire 'F' was your special. Alternate reload 'R' being used to cycle through available special attacks. Possible even bringing up a menu similar to when you use a mod pack and it asks you a (armor),b (boots) or w(weapon). Except the menu would ask a (acid). l (lightning), ect.

The regular 3 shot attack is strictly inferior to a chain gun (and the mega buster can't even be modded), so why not make that attack cost nothing, like a nanomanufacture weapon, and make only the special attacks cost energy?

Lastly, I know Megaman only gains new moves by defeating his enemies, but I find the idea of gaining some sort of 'atomic blast' by nuking a floor and surviving just makes me smile.
Pages: [1]