Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 18:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Notice that beserk/invincibility/envirosuit is about to wear off  (Read 4335 times)

Sum Gai

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

It would be be nice to have some warning that power-ups are about to wear off. Particularly invincibility and enviro-suits. So you don't get caught in the middle of pools of lava.

A sound effect would get annoying quickly (especially with the beserker trait). And blinking the color filter would get similarly unpleasant. But if, using the light-amp goggles as an example, the word 'lit' that appears in the hud were to start blinking when you only have 5 turns or light left, it would draw attention to itself without being obnoxious.

I would really like this very minor gameplay tweak.

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile

Already you know when the effects are wearing off due to the change in brightness of the status, so not sure what do you mean.
I computed, therefore I was.

Sum Gai

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

It does nothing to draw attention to itself, it's very easy not to notice. Actually blinking would draw the eye to it.

The change in brightness is so subtle, in fact, that didn't notice it despite playing the game for 400+ hours. So thanks for pointing that out to me.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile

Back when I was a newbie, I similarly had to play about a couple hundred games before I noticed that the the status changes in brightness before it wears off.  It is a subtle difference, subtle enough that depending on the display you are using, (or your visual acuity?) you might not be able to see it at all.  Personally, I've played enough that I've gotten used to looking down at the bottom of the screen for the change, but I imagine that it wouldn't be a big problem to add a line that says something like "invulnerability is wearing off" or something like that.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile

I'd like to see a warning that running mode is wearing off, similar to the current warning for berserk and invulnerability.
Badges:
DRL:26 22 22 19 13 6
  JH:15 13 11   7   2

Bloax

• Sergeant Major
  • Ohohoh! Here it comes! Here comes the night train!
    • View Profile

DCSS has expiration (soon to expire) messages for most positive status effects, and I can't imagine it being a bad inspiration to take from.
Because in the worst of situations where you'll likely be very focused on tracking what's going on it is much harder to spot small color differences across a single action - whether you're great at such things or not.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 05:43 by Bloax »
Pages: [1]