Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 14:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: More Armor/Weapon Sets  (Read 6839 times)

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
  • Warrant Officer-Mancubus, trying to get all Bronze
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff
More Armor/Weapon Sets
« on: May 29, 2014, 14:11 »

I really like the idea of the Inquisitor, Phaseshift, and other sets. I feel that each set should give you a certain buff when all put together correctly, and each set is different from another. This has the added bonus of giving the player tough choices to go with in situations.

For instance, there could be a Tactical Set, which, when you have the Tac Armor, Tac Boots, Tac Shotgun, and Assault Rifle prepared, you could get a +10% speed boost but you could be vurnable to +1 more damage from enemies or something like that.

There could be Cerberus weapons to go with the Cerberus boots and armor, and nanomachic weapons could fit with the nanofiber armor and such.

Thoughts? Is this possible?
Do not muddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: More Armor/Weapon Sets
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 14:26 »

'Possible' probably isn't the issue. In fact, I personally agree with you that this would make a nice addition. Although I think more two-piece sets would be better than larger sets, considering the odds of finding specific items.

But to answer this and your question about version 0.9.9.8 at the same time: currently, almost all time and resources are channeled into Jupiter Hell. I think it's very likely that DoomRL 0.9.9.8 will appear, and I urge you to keep ideas for it coming, but please be prepared to have a lot of patience waiting for it to appear...
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

emulord

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 15:05 »

Am I the only person who is really annoyed about Jupiter Hell? It doesnt appeal to me, and removing resources from polishing DoomRL and developing DiabloRL/AlienRL/etc is a shame.

Heres some ideas:
Since tactical is 'easy', having boots+armor+(Tac.Shotgun or rocketlauncher) for +10% speed,-1protection is good.
Fireproof set? boots+armor = +30% additional fire, -30% shrapnel?
Cerberus set? boots+armor = something exotic, like fire any rocket launcher like a mancubus.
Reaper set? Necroarmor + Azrael's Scythe = immune to health drain from alternate fire of Scythe.
Medic set? Medic powerarmor + Combat translocater = special healing abilities.
Acid-walker: While wearing acid spitter and acidproof boots, leave trails of acid.
Lava-walker: While wearing napalm launcher, Lava armor, and lava boots, leave trails of lava.
Cyberpunk: Cybernetic armor + lazer rifle. = grants effects of badass 1.

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 19:12 »

Cerberus set? boots+armor = something exotic, like fire any rocket launcher like a mancubus.

Seems a bit too overpowered, but good idea!

Reaper set? Necroarmor + Azrael's Scythe = immune to health drain from alternate fire of Scythe.

I do like that idea. I'd personally try to find a way to make it harder to achieve this buff, and the Scythe is already part of the Angelic Set. Perhaps new items?

Cyberpunk: Cybernetic armor + lazer rifle. = grants effects of badass 1.

Thats really cool, actually.

I know alot of people want to keep things like these sets obtainable every single game, and I'm okay with that, but the way I see it, its what keeps me going back to playing it. This time, will I get the Inquisitor set? Will the RNG bless me with a good Cyberdemon placement this time or will it screw me over again? Stuff like that.
Do not muddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Uranium

• Greater Elder
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Heavier Than A Death In The Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 08:12 »

and the Scythe is already part of the Angelic Set. Perhaps new items?

The Longinus Spear is part of the Angelic set, but I don't think the Scythe is. Although to make sure, you'll have to get someone who can actually make Azrael's favourite kitchen utensil spawn (i.e. not me)
Use power for power.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 16:07 »

Please allow me to hijack this thread for a moment.

Am I the only person who is really annoyed about Jupiter Hell? It doesnt appeal to me, and removing resources from polishing DoomRL and developing DiabloRL/AlienRL/etc is a shame.

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on you not being the only one who would like to see more updates for DoomRL, nor on nobody else wanting to see more of the other roguelikes that are under development. Hell, I can even safely say that I myself would put down money to have the next version of DoomRL see the light of day. And as me being recruited as a 'Forge Team Member had nothing to do with Jupiter Hell, but instead with the development of BerserkRL, I can safely say that although they were put on hold, the other games have by no means been forgotten.

Here's the deal, though: the title that is currently taking up all of the 'Forge's time and energy is doing so for a number of very good reasons. It's a shame to see you state that Jupiter Hell doesn't appeal to you, because I can assure you that if you like the other games, there will definitely be something for you to enjoy in JH, guaranteed. Although it will be a step up from what you've seen so far production-wise, you can expect the gameplay to include a large number of the elements you've come to love courtesy of the other titles, and the entire setting and background are designed to be an homage to the classic sci-fi FPS/action titles, with Doom occupying a very prominent place on that list.
On the flipside this means that it takes a lot of effort to get this show on the road. As you may have noticed, a large number of new people have been recruited to breathe life into the project, and although you're not in a position to keep track of what's going on, you can take my word for it that behind the scenes a lot of work is being done to enable us to launch a successful Kickstarter campaign as soon as possible. I would encourage you to respect the fact that this is going to take a little longer than you might expect from the updates for the other games presented so far.

And keep this in mind: if Jupiter Hell turns out to be successful, this means ChaosForge will have established itself as a legitimate indie game developer, which would only increase the odds of more games, more updates, higher quality stuff to be released. There might have been some more updates of what's going on behind the scenes, but this has been discussed and postponed for a number of very valid reasons. Please bear with us for as long as this takes. You will not be disappointed.

Additionally: although I personally think it's 'not done' to ask you to spend money on the 'Forge (disclaimer: I do not receive nor have received a single cent for my contributions to the 'Forge and its productions, nor would I expect to at this point), I and all Supporters can confirm that even though Jupiter Hell is currently the main focus, this doesn't mean nothing gets done besides this. Not only has work been done on updating the current supply of games, there have been other interesting developments as well, which continue indepently from the progress JH makes. Again, with most of the energy being diverted elsewhere, don't expect miracles to be happening, but wheels are definitely in motion.

So tl;dr: pretty pretty please with sugar on top and a cherry be patient. Keep your ideas for DoomRL and the other titles coming. Bet your ass you will be pleasantly surprised. Thank you for your time and attention.

[/hijack]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 17:35 »

[reality]
It's safe to say that if JH takes off - Kornel's time would be better spent on new directions and projects befitting a new professional studio. DRL would likely be relegated to a junior CF developer or (if I were a betting man), repackaged for the open-source community to carry on. I'd rather see AlienRL become more fleshed out, myself
[/reality]

So keep those DRL ideas coming because, one way or another, they're going to make it in!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 17:38 by MaiZure »
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 23:33 »

Time for me to weigh in, from a completely devil's advocate perspective.

Kornel the human needs to live.  That means paying off bills and what-not.  That also means transforming his current indie-for-fun credentials to indie-can-do-big-projects credentials.  Because doing that pays the bills.  He needs it given his current changing circumstance.  We cannot reverse that.

Jupiter Hell is that project for him to convert from indie-for-fun to indie-can-do-big-projects.  There are a couple of reasons why this ought to be done: the first, I have highlighted.  The second can be inferred from various talk on the public sides of the forum, where there is always the cloud of litigation on DoomRL, AliensRL and DiabloRL should their holding companies come down on us if at any moment it can be argued that the big three rogue-likes we have are being used in a commercial manner, i.e. people pay money to play it.  Our usual defense is that Carmack and Romero supports us, but you will realise quickly that though they created Doom, they don't own the Doom franchise, which means that the current owners can, if they so choose, come down on us really hard, and there's little we can do about it.  The current donation model sidesteps that problem completely, but it is not sustainable for Kornel the person because a couple hundred of bucks of donations per month isn't going to pay the bills.

So given that Jupiter Hell is literally necessary for our resident God Hand, what does that mean for DoomRL et al?  It means we do bug fixes.  It means we implement small changes, release sneaky peeks at the current state of the trunk code without making it an official release.  It means we bide time and try to incorporate the new things that have been suggested that doesn't need major architecture rescaffolding.  Me and a few others have access to the DoomRL code base, and we are doing as what I have explained.  DiabloRL is on SourceForge, of which only the "three prime evils" have commit privileges.  You hasn't worked on the DiabloRL code recently because new things require some architectural changes on Valkyrie, which only Kornel has the mandate to modify, since it represents the core of the three rogue-likes.  And AliensRL is still in the experimental stage despite all the work, and much of the newer ideas are being incorporated into Jupiter Hell.

What does this all mean?  It means we are taking a big bet.  We bet heavy that Kornel can make a living from doing what he loves, and to take that bet requires temporary sacrifice on the development of the current rogue-likes that we know and love so well.  We bet that the success of Jupiter Hell will buy us the indie-for-fun time from Kornel to keep the rogue-likes we love running from now till the end of Chaosforge.

I do not say it lightly.  The premise of Jupiter Hell doesn't completely resonate with me.  But I see beyond a game.  I see Kornel learning how to manage an actual dev team so as to take on larger projects that can contribute money to foot the bills, the unfortunate necessity of modern living.  I see Kornel learning how to delegate his development work so that he can focus on the big picture, and also to keep up with his unspoken promise of doing indie-for-fun.  When I donate the thousands I do into Chaosforge, I do not do so for the game.  I do so for the man behind the game.  I do so with the understanding that Kornel will keep the faith of those who knew him from the indie-for-fun games, and to do so in a sustainable manner.

So have faith.  Like all things, it will come to pass.

And now, before I bring out the banhammer, get back to discussing armour/weapon sets.

* thelaptop glares at both LuckyDee and MaiZure for the derailment
I computed, therefore I was.

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 11:48 »

I can understand that Kornel needs to live. Heck, I haven't touched my roguelike games I'm making in over 4 months because of high school graduation, moving, and music.

Okay. Now back to the subject:

I was just thinking, is there a limit to the ammount of variables/weapons/amors that can be declared? For instance, in zilog z80 assembly, there are some limits like you can't have more than 255 nested IF statements (I mean, if you had 256 nested IF's, you need to rethink your life).

I'm just wondering because of the possibility to add more items and other things.

For another set idea (starter), are there ideas around here for item sets that could somehow make long grueling challenges like AAo666 or Ao100 more "spicy"?

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 14:21 »

For another set idea (starter), are there ideas around here for item sets that could somehow make long grueling challenges like AAo666 or Ao100 more "spicy"?

I think the current sets - or some of them at least - suit Ao100 perfectly. The more elaborate sets, possibly with more elaborate benefits, could indeed make Ao666 close to bearable, if executed right. For that challenge, 3 or 4 piece sets would be great.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 14:29 »

This just occurred to me: what about sets that complement the less fashionable master traits - like Survivalist or Entrenchment? Or sets that enhance a specific (melee/shotgun/pistol/rapidfire) build? Sets that are drawn from popular fiction, much like weapons like the GCB and storm bolter are?

Thiebs

• Elder
  • Sergeant
  • Totally Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 10:12 »

I could see a repurposed shielded gun-mount being a perfect weapon for Entrenchment, with a particular heavy armor maybe powering it's shielding system. Scavenger could get some sort of suit rigged with tools, though it seems like the hardest to pull off. As for specific builds, I wouldn't mind seeing items that blur the lines between them, like pistols that shoot small shotty blasts, or what-have-you. That might be better as an assembly or a specific mod that alters the damage type, but maybe somebody will have an idea for a set involving such a thing. As far as popular fiction goes, I'm all for a Firefly reference or two: maybe a set for the Browncoats?
0.9.9.7- Hell Baron 1st Lieutenant: (23|13|5|0|0)
Pages: [1]