Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 17:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Trapped in Mt Erebus  (Read 7523 times)

Svankensen

• Backer
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Trapped in Mt Erebus
« on: June 19, 2014, 11:17 »

So, I used a phase device to avoid the lava, and i got teleported inside the mount. Already tried the BFG, it cant bring down the walls. Now maybe im mistaken and its intended, but it was my understanding that a "No teleport into" flag exists and is used in vaults, so im guessing you forgot to apply it? Also, this would be the farthest ive made it in a game (except in HNTR, wich was way to easy). But as far as i know, the game doesnt make savefiles. So, is there any way in wich you could restore my game without a proper savefile? Or am i screwed?

PS: I suck at reading your captchas, i fail at least once before succeeding.

EDIT: Version 0997, graphical (its obvious from the screenshot, but why not)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 12:07 by Svankensen »

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: Trapped in Mt Erebus
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 13:19 »

Or am i screwed?

It would appear the RNG is getting ready to make you feel quite uncomfortable, at least. Not sure about the flag you're referring to, but I'm willing to bet it's pretty much intentional for this to happen.

Matter of fact, I saw it happen before, not so long ago, but on that run the victim managed to outsmart the RNG and escape [spoiler warning, though]. If you have no other options at your disposal, I hope you're packing enough firepower to kill yourself and save yourself from having to take the coward's way out...

Can anyone with actual knowledge comment on whether this can be considered a bug or not?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 13:21 by LuckyDee »
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Svankensen

• Backer
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 13:50 »

Well, i only have a normal BFG. I wonder if it damages behind the walls. If it does i COULD manage to kill everything before running out of ammo, altrough it would hurt my future posibilites. Otherwise, i dont have rocket launchers or anything that could kill me. On regerds of the flag, thats what its called in DCSS, and since i read that you couldnt teleport into vaults in this game i decided to call it that.

EDIT: Nope, cant kill stuff behind the walls. And this character is ready for a win. I have a modded BFG, zillions of plasma cells, 3 good armors and healing supplies to last me a lifetime. I only wanted to get the lava element to try and nuke the sipdermind for my second win. Anyway, fellas, there isnt any way to save this character right? No special items other than medkits, armors and normal weapons. If this isnt a bug then ok, i screwed up and died (in a pretty damn infuriating way, i must say), but knowing not to do this is pretty metagamey, but if it is a bug, is there any way to save this fellah? Like some hidden temporary save file or something?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 14:03 by Svankensen »

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 14:22 »

There's flags here as well, but since I'm not into the code, I can't say whether or not there's one such as you're describing. I'm inclined to think there isn't, even.

And unfortunately - whether or not this is a bug - I'm putting my money on you're screwed. There's no save. No items to rescue you, apparently. Nothing to kill you either, which is a real kick in the pants. You were just unlucky enough to use a phase and end up in an impossible position.

Svankensen

• Backer
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 16:33 »

Yeah, got bored of waiting and just started a new game. Since there was no way to kill myself either i just went and alt +f4 it. At leat i learned a valuable lesson about teleporting on fixed levels (lso learned how to disble sound, since it was busting my balls having it open for hours <Im guessing that since this is a doom forum you dont mind expletives right?>). I would still want to know if its a bug, just for the sake of information. Thanks for the support tho ;)

Alos, WTF is with me and the captchas, i failed AGAIN. Im betting i wouldnt pass turings test at this rate...

Oh, and with the flag naming and all, i meant the crawl flag is called NO_TELE_INTO literally. Since its a community of developers, flags tend to be self explanatory.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 16:38 by Svankensen »

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 19:35 »

Yeah, unfortunately, unless you had another phase device, you were screwed.  :|  I'm pretty sure this is considered a bug.  (At least I hope it is)  You're not the first person to find this out the hard way.  (I did too, and yes, it is quite infuriating)  :S

Also, I'm not sure where you got the idea that there's a "no teleport into" flag in the Vaults.  I've used phase devices to get inside the vaults a number of times.

Also, also, as far as I know, profanity is perfectly acceptable here.  Fuck, yeah!  :D
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Svankensen

• Backer
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 06:41 »

The "no teleport into" i reado somewhere in the wiki or maybe in one of the beginners guide. otherwise i could not tell.  side question, so that i dont start another thread. You dont get anything out of killing the shamblers right? Cause i did manage to kill them once (in HNTR tho) and there was nothing in the vault. And since they have murdered 3 of my chars already, i dont feel like trying.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 09:37 »

Please stick to the bug reporting here. Questions like these are best served on the quick questions thread.

Svankensen

• Backer
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 10:28 »

Loud and clear ;)
Pages: [1]