Chaosforge Forum

• April 19, 2024, 12:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Good builds and tips for ultra-violence  (Read 4044 times)

Svankensen

• Backer
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Good builds and tips for ultra-violence
« on: June 23, 2014, 20:17 »

Well, since i already finished HMP with 3 of the 4 main builds (still havent done melee), I've been trying to play in ultra violence. Thing is, its really damn violent. It might be my fixation on doing the arena and the chained court, but i havent been able to survive past floor 5 or go beyond 5th level. I have been radar-shooting like a madman, but while it helps it doesnt do magic. I think ive only finished the court twice, and one of those was thanks to an early plasma shotgun. I quickly died on the next floor due to mistakingly activating the damn Arena Masters staff instead of a medkit (I dont remember anytime where that staff has served me outside the vaults), but that fact doesnt alleviate my propensity to being against the ropes way too frecuently. Im currently using a scout with a burst build. Since im using shotguns so much on the early game i go SoB SoB EE TH Int CE, instead of going SoB EE SoB, to incease the damage of the shotgun early on. Anyway, any and all advice is welcome on all fronts. Im willing of course to try different builds of all kinds, whatever works for you, and the more detail you give the more ill be able to learn.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: Good builds and tips for ultra-violence
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 23:04 »

Tips that were giving to me: start on Angel of Max Carnage. Play a masterless build. My own interpretation of the latter: play a Scout, and start with INT-INT. Your damage will be good anyway due to AoMC, and INT-INT will allow you to see stuff coming.

For reference: my first UV win.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 00:20 »

AoMC is also great at teaching you how to prevent enemies getting a shot at you in the first place. IMHO, Cateye build started with Int2 grant you a lot of survivability thanks to seeing them way before they see you. Back it up with Dodgemaster later on, and the rest of the game should pose little trouble, outside of RNG's will.

For other builds, I was successful with Army of the Dead shotgun build (piercing damage makes huge difference against many late game enemies, since instead of twice, their armor is not applied at all; you may run into ammo issues in the late game though) and Sharpshooter pistol build, covered in your recent topic.
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Sylph

• Elder
  • Major
  • Galaxy Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 02:01 »

Are you using the 'wait on the spot' command regularly?
Badges:
DRL:26 22 22 19 13 6
  JH:15 13 11   7   2

Svankensen

• Backer
  • Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 07:15 »

Thanks for the tips. And no, im not using the run wait comman regularly, i only remember it when im running out of options. Ill try to keep it in mind more.

EDIT: LuckyDee, why a masterless build? Cateye seems amazing to me.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 09:58 by Svankensen »

singalen

• Supporter
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 02:46 »

As for me, the tactic for Court is to cornershoot Barons on the right side while saving the berserk packs (watch for them to shoot inside, the zerk packs will be destroyed), then get as much zerk as you have from Chainsaw and backs and tank on the Arena Master. You can giftdrop in the doorways to get rid of the corpses and to push Barons back into lava.
Pages: [1]