Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 14:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Reloading unloaded weapon causing accidental moves...  (Read 4465 times)

Lebroski

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile

Hi there, I'm new to the place, nicetameetcha,

So I know it is a n00by error, but I just died after a tough slug-out with the Arena Master because I made a mistake of trying to reload my weapon when it was already empty. I then quickly pressed 'f' to fire and started moving the cursor for a radar-shot, except because I hadn't reloaded, I moved instead. Straight onto the lava which was next to me!

I know I could play with mouse, but I can't be bothered to keep my desk tidy for that. And although it was an error on my behalf, being punished with an instakill seems harsh. There is no practical interpretation of the real-time events that would lead to an experienced and grizzled DoomGuy just accidentally stepping on to Lava because he fumbled with his shotgun or something?

Eugh. Anyway, live and learn I guess. And learn the tech route to the tactical shotgun.

Great game, my tiny request would be to have a message which requires skipping if you try to accidentally reload, but then again probably serves me right for being a n00b? I'm not sure. Felt like a cheap death, but then all lava/acid deaths in Doom usually do...

edit: looking back, between the non-reload and the failed attempt to fire the gun, surely there should be some kind of message. Tiny little thing though. Is this thing still being updated? Or is work being done on the sequel full-time now? I'm just delighted to have discovered this gem. Kinda awkward first posting here but eh what's done is done!

edit2: this is getting messy, but I think the best solution is to let the player enter aim-mode upon pressing 'f', even if the gun is empty, and then presenting an error message if they actually try to fire. Gives a chance to check line-of-sight as well?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 20:38 by Lebroski »

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
Re: Reloading unloaded weapon causing accidental moves...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 22:02 »

Man, you're rambling... and I don't quite get what you are trying to report.  =.=  Are you asking for a message to tell you that you are trying to fire with a weapon with no ammo in it?  Because I think that's already happening.  If you're asking about having a message about the empty weapon before moving, think of what would happen with Shottyman.  >.<  Please confirm what it is you are reporting...

I'm one of the few alive with source access who are doing minor bug fixes (and some major ones too if they don't involve Valkyrie).  KK himself is working full-time [hopefully] on JH at this point, and I have no idea where shark is.

We don't have a release plan yet for 0.9.9.8, but donators do have access to special "sneak" releases that are chronologically between 0.9.9.7 and 0.9.9.8 and incorporate all kinds of experimental stuff and bug fixes.
I computed, therefore I was.

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 04:45 »

I'm not in a position to check at this moment, but doesn't the config.lua hold some option that requires you to press 'enter' after trying to fire an empty weapon?
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

ZicherCZ

• Chaos Knight
  • Supporter of Chaos
  • Brigadier General
  • YADJHG - Yet Another Dead JupiterHellGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 05:07 »

I'm not in a position to check at this moment, but doesn't the config.lua hold some option that requires you to press 'enter' after trying to fire an empty weapon?
It does indeed - set the option "EmptyConfirm" to "true".
DoomRL 0.997: Cyberdemon Brigadier General - Games: 217, Wins: 2/5/3/6/0, Medals: 18, Specials: 64, Asm: 39, Badges: 19/17/16/5/1/Are you kidding?
Jupiter Hell: Inner Circle - first tech build reached and working

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 13:32 »

^ What ZicherCZ said.  Just edit the config.lua file with your favourite text editor.

And yeah, I had quite a few Doomguys die that way before I discovered that feature.  It's definitely a life-saver.  :)

Also, welcome to the forums!  :D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 13:33 by Tormuse »
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 20:40 »

Me and my rush to fix things in code.  =(

* thelaptop sobs
I computed, therefore I was.

Lebroski

• Private
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 23:07 »

Thankyou for the information regarding the config file edit, it works like a charm! Just lost my latest attempt at Hurt Me Plenty vs the Bruiser Brothers. I was cornered against a wall, the final Bruiser Brother was mortally wounded, and I had 2 shells in the double shotgun, so I took a shot but it didn't put him down. I then had 3 options: reload, switch to chaingun, or use a homing phase device. The problem is, I forgot the button you use to check which skill upgrades you have been chosing, and I thought maybe I had picked Juggler (a new favourite of mine), so I tried to insta-switch to chaingun. Turns out I hadn't picked Juggler yet, and the Bruiser Brother got me!

Frustrating when I had so many large health packs, a quick retreat would have easily saved the day.
Pages: [1]