Chaosforge Forum

• April 24, 2024, 18:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: [U|AoSh|90%|YAVP] Arch-Vile stole my ammo (Gatekeeper Diamond)  (Read 2343 times)

Mr. Magoolachub

• Supporter of Chaos
  • Private FC
  • I wish to be the no life king
    • View Profile

Hey, first post, what up. The wiki said to post your mortem if you ever achieved a diamond badge, so here I am! I actually only needed the Shottyman Gold on this run so I could rank up, but I figured I could kill two birds with one stone and go for the Gatekeeper Diamond as well.

Phobos
Started out by heading to the Arena to pick up my complimentary DoomRL starter kit, clearing the arena with a shotgun is just 2ez, no damage taken. Next up to the Chained Court, I always find it a little tricky to do with only a shotgun depending on how the Barons decide to move around. They weren't particularly happy to get camped from a doorway this time around unfortunately, but I still managed to take them and the Arena Master down without tanking too much damage. Staff get! Phobos Lab spawned instead of Military Base, it's always nice to see that map when I build shotguns as revenge for all the times it spawns and I built anything else (nightmare demons P L S). Fireangel and some Agi boots made quick work of the first area of Phobos Anomaly (always a bit scary running around with no armor on though, I've gotta run fast and armor too slow), then the Bruiser Brothers had fun being shot at from one end of the level to the next. No damage taken, alright! 100% kills going strong.

Deimos
The 2Lab1Run experience, Deimos Lab was nice enough to spawn a Super Shotgun, but the dual Shamblers cost me a few medpacks as usual; I've yet to find a good general strat for dealing with the 2xShambler without taking damage other than having traits that deal with them really well or some nice items like a Blue (BP) or a Shockwave Pack or somethin (not spawning the Shamblers is, of course, not an option). The lab cache ended up having an onyx for me, I was hoping for a nano to make the Nano-Shrapnel SSG but the onyx was sweet too. Waited a few floors to see if a nice armor was gonna drop, nothing did so I decided to play it safe and made a Red (OP), unbreakable 6 is cool too.

It was a pretty easy ride to the Cyberdemon, he was a bad shot as usual and got blasted away without even scratching me. Gatekeeper Diamond achieved, alright! Still strong with the 100% k.o. ratio, getting the gold will be a piece of cake, right?

Hell
Descending the staircase you see a familiar object... oh shit, I've never seen you outside of Ao100 before! I didn't wanna drop my 100% kills, so I knew I had to kill fast and get the hell out. Most of the demons were compliant with getting blasted quickly, but a few pinkies got stuck on each other (ugh) and I had to run around to find them, scavenged then left the level with just under a minute to spare. The Vaults ended up not having anything for me, dang, but more XP is always good. Everything was going well, but then

On level 20 he was foolish enough to enter Limbo!

The plan was solid, I knew I had the 3 skulls from the Abyssal Plains (which was cleared without incident) so I could gib a good amount of the corpses right off the bat, I knew the SSG had all the knockback I needed (plus more) to camp just below the bridges and knock everyone in to the lava one by one, and I knew I had some solid protection and a bunch of medpacks. I cleared the starting area easy enough, then checked my inventory to see how I was going and it hit me: 'I don't think I have enough ammo to do this...' With no homing phase I was left with little else other than to push on, so I raised the bridge to the left and set up camp. Fortunately I had enough ammo to clear the left side of the map out, but only just. Standing at the exit, I checked my inventory and saw I had just 16 shells left. Not for the first time, the words 'why did I go to limbo' ran through my mind, but at least I was alive. 100% kills out the window. Wish I had that nano pack.

He managed to escape from Limbo!

No more red stairs for me, for the rest of Hell it was constant ammo management, trying to shoot only when they were as close as possible and managing to find just enough ammo to keep me going (more if arch viles would have stopped gibbing it argh), but I still had to leave demons behind. No lava element for me, no way did I have the ammo to clear that place out. It was looking bad at Hell 7, real bad, I had something like 6 shells left and a nuke. It had to be the victory by sacrifice, I knew it, I could still claim my gold, but I had to find the exit first. Unfortunately for me it was a small room level, every door I opened a prayer of 'please not 5 mancubus and an arch-vile staring at me please kornel'. Then it happened, a truly beautiful scene, I opened a door and there before me was a room FILLED with shotgun dudes, chaingunners and an arch-vile. Bring em all back arch-vile, see if I give a fuck, gimme dat ammo. I cleared out Hell 7, wrecked the Mastermind and made it safely back to Earth alive. Phew.

Oh yeah, and I found a Subtle Knife for the first time, so that was cool.

Spoiler: mortem (click to show/hide)

Overall not my most eventful run (it was a couple days ago too so the details are a bit fuzzy), and I'm not sure if gatekeeper is seen as 'the easy diamond badge' or something, but I hope it was an interesting enough read. Oh yeah and a question, what's the highest amount of Angelics that anyone has ever earned?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 23:58 by Mr. Magoolachub »
[24/21/18/12/5/1]

Arch-Vile General

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries
Re: [U|AoSh|90%|YAVP] Arch-Vile stole my ammo (Gatekeeper Diamond)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 01:02 »

I'd say Technician Diamond is the easiest/cheesiest one to get - and thus the only one I have so far. Gatekeeper should be pretty doable, although you'll need a bit of luck to get you through the Anomaly: how did you tackle the ambush?
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

Mr. Magoolachub

• Supporter of Chaos
  • Private FC
  • I wish to be the no life king
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 01:36 »

For the ambush I took off my armor and went running the square before the wall drop trigger, triggered it and then dodged back in to the starting room. Once in there I stood on one of the corners closest to the door and blasted anyone who came in with a double shotty (T), moving left and right to reload so even if a cacodemon or imp shot it missed and hit the wall behind me for the big 0 damage.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:38 by Mr. Magoolachub »
[24/21/18/12/5/1]

Arch-Vile General

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 20:55 »

Hey, welcome to the DoomRL forums!  :D  Nice win!  I see you've honed your DoomRL skills well!  :)  And yeah, I find that ammo is a concern for any build that blocks SOB trait.  That's why my favourite shotgun build is Army of the Dead.

...and I'm not sure if gatekeeper is seen as 'the easy diamond badge' or something, but I hope it was an interesting enough read...

It was interesting enough.  :)  And yeah, I've read from other people who say that it's one of the easier badges, but personally, I have a lot of trouble avoiding damage, so I find it to be challenging enough.  Kudos for your first Diamond badge!  With skills that you've demonstrated here, I'm sure you'll earn more.  :)

Oh yeah and a question, what's the highest amount of Angelics that anyone has ever earned?

Six from me.  If anyone else has earned more, I don't know about it. 2DeviationsOut once played a game that earned him four Angelic badges simultaneously which is waaaay beyond my ability, and I'm sure he could get the rest of them easily, but he hasn't posted in a long time and I don't know if he's still playing DoomRL.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos
Pages: [1]