Chaosforge Forum

• April 20, 2024, 10:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New Weapon: Grenades or Grenade Launcher (Undoomish?)  (Read 4588 times)

The Buttery Lobster

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile

Don't be turned off by the name. I know there aren't grenades or grenade launchers in Doom-- you could call the weapon the Mancubus cannon, or the revenant missle, or whatever you want to call it. The IDEA of the weapon is important, you can change/justify the name however you want. Then again, maybe the game doesn't need any more weapons. Just throwing the idea out there.

Basic Mechanism: Fires like any other gun, but upon entering the targeting screen, you have fairly limited range--maybe 5, 6 squares, OR have it go to your line of site, and that's it... no flying until it hits a wall, like the rocket launcher. Furthermore, the weapon is inaccurate-it randomly hits your target or one of the surrounding squares. Those are the downsides to the gun. The good part of it is the fact that it has splash damage, but not too much, say, just a 3x3 section, and has a LOT of knockback, and does just as much damage as the rocket launcher... or maybe more, depending on game testing.

I know, it's not very doomish, but it seemed like a cool idea at the time.

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: New Weapon: Grenades or Grenade Launcher (Undoomish?)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 14:02 »

#1: Knockback is inextricably linked to damage.

#2: This is definitely overpowered.  What you're asking for is basically a rocket launcher that always hits.  No, it never *exactly* hits, and the effect can be mimicked when the enemy is near a wall/inside a room that you're blasting a hole in with the rocket launcher, but you will always do damage with this gun, and at least with the rocket launcher you take the risk of destroying items you might want to keep when blowing holes in rooms (but then, you might not if you saw what they were).

#3: There are some ideas that may sound cool, but are overpowered as-is, and if attempts are made to 'balance' their overpoweredness, end up useless.  This idea seems like one of them (for example, making ammo for this gun scarcer would not make it any less overpowered, and making it too scarce will make it useless).

Fingerzam

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 14:59 »

Well, I have to say I really don't see room for this weapon. It's very close to rocket launcher, and if it didn't use rockets it would just add another ammo type, which isn't needed. The "undoomish" comment also applies here, all the other weapons are from Dooms (well, with one special weapon being from another ID game, but it's a special weapon).

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 07:08 »

Agreed with BDR and Fingerzam.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Zephyre Syx

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 19:18 »

This is definitely overpowered.  What you're asking for is basically a rocket launcher that always hits.  No, it never *exactly* hits, and the effect can be mimicked when the enemy is near a wall/inside a room that you're blasting a hole in with the rocket launcher, but you will always do damage with this gun, and at least with the rocket launcher you take the risk of destroying items you might want to keep when blowing holes in rooms (but then, you might not if you saw what they were)
My brain has blown a fuse and I can't seem to fully understand about the overpowerness.  With triple penalty that the grenade limits the number of targets and the inaccuracy of getting all targets in the blast(assuming that the blast will randomly occur in one of the 9 spaces around the idea target area), has a blast radius of a imp fireball, and a short range.  But that the gun alway hit I can understand, when its targeting a single target.  If 3 hell critter are aligned with the wall, 3 or 2 will hit, but the one in the center will always get hit.
Does sounds cool on typing though.  It's a good idea effort that's just thrown out in the wind, lobsterboy.

You don't mind explaining more or reparaphrase what you said could you, BDR?  I tend to annoy people saying that. =/

By the way.  Since when doom requires math, and physics?  Rocket + demon = shattered parts
"Nah, it's not that those ideas are bad, I'm just trying to show you why I think my way of thinking is better."
-Kornel Kisielewicz

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 11:28 »

Hmm. 3x3... Didn't look quite as hard at that as I had before.  I'd then say it's both overpowered and useless...

As I said before, it's a rocket launcher that always hits its target.  I'd say that's rather overpowered given the fact that rocket launchers knock critters as far as they do and do a fair amount of damage at the same time, yet with them you risk blowing stuff up so you can't just shoot it all the time like the chaingun.  This, on the other hand, you can shoot all the time, as you'll always know what's around in your sight range.  The range limit doesn't fit with any of the other weapons, and wouldn't stop me from shooting it often at things I ordinarily might not blow up (given the risk of missing/blowing up unseen items).  The 3x3 explosion + random hit for surrounding squares means, given the weapon in-game, I wouldn't bother with trying to get multiple enemies; I'd just get in range of the biggest bad guy and start blowing him up, then proceed to do the same with any other enemies.  Limiting the ammo at all would just kill any usefulness the gun has to me such that I'd drop it as soon as it emptied and never look back.  I suppose to be fairer, it's a rocket launcher that damages only one enemy unless the bads are right next to each other and you are lucky, but that doesn't change the fact that it never misses (do *any* other weapons in DoomRL do this without EE?) nor does it change the fact that this would probably be most useful for blowing strong monsters out of the line of sight and not much more if the ammo is limited and useful for most everything else if the ammo is plentiful.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 02:46 »

Sounds like a 3x3 BFG, to me.
A one-target BFG with a chance at causing damage to some adjacent tiles.
Rather pointless, if you ask me. I mean, it's not even a real Doom weapon. Why add such a risky/odd weapon to the lot if it's not even one of the Doom 'classics'?

But you could use this system for the Mancubus fireballs.

Zephyre Syx

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 15:46 »

I rather like regular grenade that you can ricochet of a wall, and it explodes on the next turn.  Open door, toss, *BOOM*, peek, get shot in the face...
"Nah, it's not that those ideas are bad, I'm just trying to show you why I think my way of thinking is better."
-Kornel Kisielewicz

DisaffectedBeta

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 01:42 »

Grenades could fill a niche, if they were more oriented to Imp fireball level of power.  Relatively weak, but good for precision clearing out of walls and disposing of cornered enemies.  I'd almost prefer they be like minor demolition devices.  They'd be timed, so they wouldn't be that useful unless you knew something was coming after you.  3x3 would allow for some control over it, but of course there could be different schools of thought on the types of grenades.

For sticklers, Doom3 has grenades, so personal phase devices and [those devices that look like oddly-colored corpses] can't be bad company.

I'm not for a launcher, but throwing and timing are OK, if easily codable of course.
Pages: [1]