Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 16:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Which mode do you prefer to Play DoomRL? Tiles, NotEye3D or Console Text?  (Read 10595 times)

Arron Syaoran

• Sergeant
  • Former Android(Now Human) Assassin
    • View Profile

When I booted up DoomRL Today, I started to Play UV with AoMC to practice not getting hit. I decided to try Console Mode one more time, and when I got to level 4, I figured, I like Both Tiles and Console Text, I wonder what everybody else likes since I can't seem to decide.

One one hand, Console mode has easier viewing of the whole map, so you can pinpoint faraway discovered items easier without using the mouse.
On the other, Tiles mode makes each individual tile/monster/item easier to identify, and I don't have to hit escape twice when cancelling out of something.

Although what I said above is mostly opinional, I want everyone to know what most people prefer in terms of graphics. Don't forget to post a comment on any opinions or whether you want to know your personal preference for graphics modes.
Was forced to discard my Moustache, long hair and Bandana when I joined the UAC.
Hell Baron Major(0.9.9.7G)
[24|18|9|1|0|0]

LuckyDee

• Sound Wizard
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • General
  • High Caliber Consecrator
    • View Profile
    • LuckyDeeIndustries

If it weren't for Tiles-mode, I wouldn't even be here. Couldn't be bothered to pick it up when I saw a review about console mode, but I was immediately sold by the artwork of the tiles version. And only then did I discover what a freaking awesome game it is, too.

So yeah, Tiles all the way down, baby.
[0.9.9.7G] Current: Hell Knight 1st Lieutenant [20/12/4/0/0/0]
High: Arch-Vile Lt. Colonel [25/21/12/2/1/0]

thelaptop

• Chaos Fanatic!
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Apostle
    • View Profile

Console.  Why is this even a question?
I computed, therefore I was.

Bloax

• Sergeant Major
  • Ohohoh! Here it comes! Here comes the night train!
    • View Profile

I started playing back in like 0.9.9.1 where there was only console, and DoomRL is probably one of the lightest ASCII game experiences you'll have - since all the glyphs are sensible, appropriately colored and there are almost no duplicates.

Now go compare this to something like DCSS and you'll see what I mean.

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile

<3 console.

The tile version is neat and all but the ASCII is far more comfortable for me, having played and become familiar with it over the last 6/7 years.
Under a pale grey sky, we shall arise.

papilio

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Tiles, obviously. I can't stand those ASCII glyphs.

I played 2 roguelikes: DCSS, DoomRL. I've never played console version of either games.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:42 by papilio »
0.9.9.7 (after reset)
Cyberdemon Chaos Mjr. General
Medals: 43/43
Badges: 26/26/26/25/23/7[/color

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile

Console forever!  :D

I've been playing since version 0.9.9.1 and I've always used the console version.  I tried the tiles version for a bit to test it when it first came out, but switched back to console for a variety of reasons:

Firstly, it made my computer stutter from time to time; the animation wasn't smooth and it made the game frustrating to play.  Of course, that was on an earlier version on a crappier computer, (I've upgraded my system since then) so that might no longer be the case; I admit I haven't tried tiles in a while.

Secondly, I like being able to see the whole screen at once; having to scroll around is off-putting.

Thirdly, I find the contrast of having a black screen easier on my eyes and makes it easier to spot important things.  (Like dangerous enemies that popped into view)

Fourthly, well, it just doesn't feel like a Roguelike any more if I play with tiles; I like the old school kind of look.  :)

The biggest drawback to using the console version is being unable to use the mouse because the mouse makes corner-shooting SOOO much easier.  If you want to corner-shoot at the same spot repeatedly with the mouse, you can just point at the square and click on it as many times as you want.  To do the same with console, you have to hammer the arrow keys a half dozen times for every single shot.  (It would help if the console version just remembered the last square you shot at and then targeted that square again, but I digress)  Other than that, there's nothing I really miss about the tiles version.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile

It would help if the console version just remembered the last square you shot at and then targeted that square again, but I digress
It does, to a degree. All you have to do is aim within your vision radius.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile

It does, to a degree. All you have to do is aim within your vision radius.

True, but a vast majority of the time, I want to target squares out of my vision radius, so that doesn't help me.
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

UnderAPaleGreySky

• Greater Elder
  • Brigadier General
  • Chaos Lurker
    • View Profile

True, but a vast majority of the time, I want to target squares out of my vision radius, so that doesn't help me.
Ah, fair enough. I'm a casual shotgunner, so precision aiming isn't a priority. ;)

Arron Syaoran

• Sergeant
  • Former Android(Now Human) Assassin
    • View Profile

Most of the time I play without the mouse at all, even in tiles mode. whenever I aim I use the arrow keys to move the cursor(sometimes everytime I shoot in cases where the enemy is outside the screen). When I first started out, before I figured out how to access config.lua, I would mostly move in cardinal directions and only use the mouse to move diagonally during cave levels. Now that I realize it, I've come a long way in just 200-300 runs. Back when I first started, HNTR was a little rough, but doable, and ITYTD was still easier than expected.

Comparing Dungeons of Dredmor Difficulties to DoomRL, I'd say it goes like this:
Nightmare > Ultra Violets > Hurt Me Plenty > Going Rogue(DoD) > Hey Not Too Rough > Dwarvish Moderation(DoD) > I'm Too Young To Die > Elves Just want to have Fun(DoD)
Tip: If you're playing Dredmor, don't ever bother with Elves Just want to have fun(Elvishly Easy). Start on Dwarvish Moderation instead. Elvishly Easy is a disgrace to Roguelikes, especially if go without permadeath, and will flood your inventory painfully due to items not needing to be used.
Was forced to discard my Moustache, long hair and Bandana when I joined the UAC.
Hell Baron Major(0.9.9.7G)
[24|18|9|1|0|0]

MaiZure

• Marketing/PR Ops Lead
  • Greater Elder
  • Major General
  • Retired 1-Star General (.993)
    • View Profile
    • Project repository

So NotEye is just a novelty, I suppose? Is it even possible to corner shoot in that UI? Has anyone here tried it at all? I have not.

EDIT: C0NS0L3 F0ReVeR!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 00:59 by MaiZure »
Hell Knight 1st Lt. (.997)
[22/13/9/2/0]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile

I've never heard of NotEye.  I just Googled it and I'm still not quite clear on how it differs from other interfaces.  Can anyone enlighten me?
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
  • Warrant Officer-Mancubus, trying to get all Bronze
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff

I enjoy console mode because its classic, you can see the whole map, no annoying mouse, and it allows you to use your imagination a bit more (I feel) than do tiles. I find its easier to play in console and faster, because there are the "default" characters, # is wall, . is floor, monsters are letters, weapons/packs are never letters, and so forth.

I do play the tile version once in a while, and even NotEye every now and then. But all in all, I enjoy the classic roguelike fee of the console version.
Do not muddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Errant

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile

Console all the way. I like the atmospheric colour scheme and I don't like not being able to see the entire level. I usually prefer the tiles version of a roguelike given the choice, but not this one.
Pages: [1] 2  All