Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 03:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Which mode do you prefer to Play DoomRL? Tiles, NotEye3D or Console Text?  (Read 10565 times)

Arron Syaoran

• Sergeant
  • Former Android(Now Human) Assassin
    • View Profile

@Tormuse: Noteye is an interface thing that allows 2D/3D Graphics in most roguelikes(usually tiles, isometric, and also in 3D). If you check Game Hunter's YouTube Channel, he has a video where he plays DoomRL with Noteye 3D. Most of the corner shooting appears blind(looks like staring at a wall), but there's an alternate window that helps you see corner shooting better. To be honest, I think the Noteye 3D Version is mostly just for show(Gives a Wolfenstein 3D Look to DoomRL), and can get old after a while, but would make a neat, but annoying forum challenge option.(Try Noteye 3D DoomRL on UV)

I'm probably going to go with Console from now on. Whenever I quit the app(console mode), I get a "Reset: can't initialize terminal type network(error -1)" error that ask me for the terminal type(Mac OSX). Also, I end up having to press esc key twice in order for it to register while cancelling out of aiming/menus. Works perfectly fine otherwise. The main problem I have with tiles mode is sometimes the mouse cursor scrolls away from my character when I click on the window to bring DoomRL into active status, having to move the mouse away from the window and hit a movement key to fix. Also, Whenever I hold down a movement key in tiles mode, there's some lag that causes movement actions to be made when I let go.

If anyone can tell me how to avoid the double esc key pressing requirement of console mode, let me know.
Was forced to discard my Moustache, long hair and Bandana when I joined the UAC.
Hell Baron Major(0.9.9.7G)
[24|18|9|1|0|0]

raekuul

• Supporter
  • Brigadier General
  • Storyteller Under The Bridge
    • View Profile
    • Veldania

Console feels more responsive to me, though that's because I don't have to wait for the Doomguy and the monsters to slide into place.
Tormuse doesn't lose, he dies on purpose to lull the demons into a false sense of security.
Pages: 1 [2]  All