Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 16:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Main obstacles on Nightmare! difficulty  (Read 4244 times)

papilio

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Main obstacles on Nightmare! difficulty
« on: August 24, 2014, 12:46 »

1. How do you wipe out the Phobos Lab? Nightmare demons are pain in the ass.

Fighting them in narrow corridors is simply a suicide. Shotguns doesn't work well as their armor is 3.
Luring the nightmare demons in the upper corridors to the central nukage pool is the best way but this is kinda luck-based.

In left-side nukage pool, I think 2 env suits are insufficient to lure entire of them to kill them in the pool of acid. Any advice?

2. How do you pass the Anomaly? I think the best strategy is:

1) prepare 2~3 phase devices and pray for god
2) prepare rocket launcher, and crush the right door before ambush opens. If ambush opens, immediately use the rocket-jump to right to escape

But 1) is luck-based and 2) needs rocket launcher, that is, you must clear the Arena (this itself is hard and Chained Court goes crazy).
Is there any other nice strategies?

0.9.9.7 (after reset)
Cyberdemon Chaos Mjr. General
Medals: 43/43
Badges: 26/26/26/25/23/7[/color

GinDiamond

• First Sergeant
  • Warrant Officer-Mancubus, trying to get all Bronze
    • View Profile
    • GinDiamond Stuff
Re: Main obstacles on Nightmare! difficulty
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 08:25 »

For the anomaly, I first prepare by trying to get at least 2 phase devices. If I can only get 1, well, its better than nothing. I also do get the rocket launcher. Instead of blasting right, I first take time in the Anomaly to prepare (drop important stuff behind the walls, picking up armor/medpacks). Then I open the door and walk straight out. I have my rocket launcher on me, and blue or green armor (red will absorb too much knockback, as rocket jump is calculated by damage). If the monsters are not directly behind me, I immediately blast LEFT back into the room and slam the door closed and regroup. Taking the monsters out from there is easy, using the door as a way to prevent corpses.

If I fail with the rocket jumps, I whip out my phase devices and prayohprayohpray

Good luck!
Do not muddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 12:28 »

1. How do you wipe out the Phobos Lab? Nightmare demons are pain in the ass.

Fighting them in narrow corridors is simply a suicide. Shotguns doesn't work well as their armor is 3.
Luring the nightmare demons in the upper corridors to the central nukage pool is the best way but this is kinda luck-based.

In left-side nukage pool, I think 2 env suits are insufficient to lure entire of them to kill them in the pool of acid. Any advice?

On Nightmare? Is "Don't go in that level" an option?

Luring them in to the acid is basically the only way I ever deal with them unless I'm berserking my way through with a chainsaw. If you can't lure them without taking damage, it's because of one of two reasons:

1. Your movespeed should be extremely good if you want to play Nightmare and especially if you want to beat this level. Be a scout or get hellrunner but both would be great.
2. You don't need to beat this special level nearly as much as you think you do.

After that, I have no experience with the left side of the map on Nightmare - I always avoid phobos lab and military base.

2. How do you pass the Anomaly? I think the best strategy is:

1) prepare 2~3 phase devices and pray for god
2) prepare rocket launcher, and crush the right door before ambush opens. If ambush opens, immediately use the rocket-jump to right to escape

But 1) is luck-based and 2) needs rocket launcher, that is, you must clear the Arena (this itself is hard and Chained Court goes crazy).
Is there any other nice strategies?

The only guaranteed strategy I've ever come up with for this is as such:

0) Be a scout
1) Go in to Chained Court (not the hard version, of course)
2) Clear out one side as well as you can without dying or using any heals (otherwise you'll die trying to run past several chaingunners - even while berserk)
3) Go back in to the middle, grab all 5 berserks
4) Run from the chained court to anomaly, don't stop for anything other than health packs and enemies in your way.
5) You will still be berserk for about 50 more turns. Grab the large health packs, put on the red armor, run through the ambush and take little damage.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 12:31 by Thomas »
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 15:40 »

Phobos Lab:

If you have a melee build, go on a berserk rampage and cut them up in the upper doorway with the Chainsaw.  (Preferably taking them on one at a time if possible)

If you have a pistol build, hopefully it's a Sharpshooter build and you have a pistol with knockback and an ammo chain.  Again, try to take them one at a time.  (It would be pretty tough to do it with non-Sharpshooter pistol build, so good luck with that)

For shotgun build, alternate between shooting them with your favourite shotgun and stepping back to reload with Shottyman skill.  Bonus if you have a shell box.  (Combine with below tip to dispose of body)

Otherwise, movement speed is your most valuable asset.  Ideally, you'd like to be fast enough to outwalk them, but they're *very* fast, so you might have to rely on running, which means you'll burn through a few med packs.  (Fortunately, there are several healing opportunities on this level)  All you have to do is go around the outside of the acid pool, (you don't even need to step into it) and they will try to cut across it to get to you.  Go all the way around three sides of it, left across the top, down, then right across the bottom to maximize the time the Nightmare Demon spends in the acid bath.  Knock 'em back with the shotgun if they get too close.  Special note:  Nightmare! difficulty actually (sort of) helps you in this case because the acid does extra damage to them!

Phobos Anomaly:

For the anomaly, I first prepare by trying to get at least 2 phase devices. If I can only get 1, well, its better than nothing. I also do get the rocket launcher. Instead of blasting right, I first take time in the Anomaly to prepare (drop important stuff behind the walls, picking up armor/medpacks). Then I open the door and walk straight out. I have my rocket launcher on me, and blue or green armor (red will absorb too much knockback, as rocket jump is calculated by damage). If the monsters are not directly behind me, I immediately blast LEFT back into the room and slam the door closed and regroup. Taking the monsters out from there is easy, using the door as a way to prevent corpses.

If I fail with the rocket jumps, I whip out my phase devices and prayohprayohpray

Good luck!

This is good advice, but I'm quite sure you're wrong about the red armour reducing your knockback.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that knockback is calculated before damage-reduction.  Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to rocket-jump while wearing the Inquisitor set.  (Which offers 100% fire protection)  This means that the red armour is the best thing to wear for your rocket-jump because you get all the jumping distance without all the damage.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

RogerN

• Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 06:52 »

If you have a pistol build, hopefully it's a Sharpshooter build and you have a pistol with knockback and an ammo chain.

Doesn't that require a fair amount of luck?  Even with 95% kill rate on Nightmare I usually don't have enough XP to finish Sharpshooter before Phobos Lab.  Granted, I usually only kill one wave in the arena before exiting.  I prefer to not finish the arena so that the easier Court is available.

Nightmare! difficulty actually (sort of) helps you in this case because the acid does extra damage to them!

Really?!  I've got 8 diamonds under my belt and never knew that!  Is it documented somewhere?

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 02:42 »

Doesn't that require a fair amount of luck?  Even with 95% kill rate on Nightmare I usually don't have enough XP to finish Sharpshooter before Phobos Lab.  Granted, I usually only kill one wave in the arena before exiting.  I prefer to not finish the arena so that the easier Court is available.

Probably.  :P  I know I had a game where I had Sharpshooter in Phobos Lab, but it was a while ago, so details are hazy in my memory.  I may have been going for Conqueror in that game.

Really?!  I've got 8 diamonds under my belt and never knew that!  Is it documented somewhere?

Hmm...  I may have misremembered details, but fluids definitely do half damage on ITYTD.  I just checked all other difficulty levels, and they do the same damage.
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

Thomas

• DoomRL Wiki and Testing Ops
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Major General
  • How's it going?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 04:40 »

Probably.  :P  I know I had a game where I had Sharpshooter in Phobos Lab, but it was a while ago, so details are hazy in my memory.  I may have been going for Conqueror in that game.

Even on UV you can generally get a master trait during Phobos Lab if you're conquering.
Arch-Vile Chaos Major Thomas
[26/26/26/25/9/1]
Medals: 35/43 Specials: 69/67 Assemblies: 36/40

Arron Syaoran

• Sergeant
  • Former Android(Now Human) Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 16:22 »

Really?!  I've got 8 diamonds under my belt and never knew that!  Can I make a Diamond Chestplate?
Yes, you can make a Diamond Chestplate, but it's really not worth it. You're better off with Diamond Pickaxe + Diamond Sword + 2 Diamonds for Enchanting Table and 1 Diamond Spade. But then again, this is not Minecraft, and I still haven't even gotten my first diamond in DoomRL, so I should probably keep quite about it.
Was forced to discard my Moustache, long hair and Bandana when I joined the UAC.
Hell Baron Major(0.9.9.7G)
[24|18|9|1|0|0]
Pages: [1]