Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 07:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: special ammunition  (Read 21784 times)

RepoRipper

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Re: special ammunition
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 18:04 »

as to the anti-armor trait, i never said it applied to only some weapons, and only one level would mean it would help against nothing more than FHCa/Co's, and also demons. only two levels, means ALL attacks you make ignore as much as two armor, if there is any armor to ignore. i think the CyberDemon has 6 armor, so this would nullify a third of his armor. not half; that's unbalanced.
now, concerning the Bomberman Master Trait... ok ok, i went overboard on the required traits. so tone em down. but in the spirit of Kornel's Master Trait idea, the no melee weapon or trait is required. as for the blast radius, ok, how do u fit enough explosives to make a 5x5 blast radius fit in a 10mm bullet? i thought so. 3x3 is pretty powerful, when u think about it, because, for instance, it can make small, controlled holes in walls, and also deal with enemies clustered on useless ammo!

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 18:24 »

The boringness and platform action was what got to me in that game mostly.  Even with cheats it was only barely palatable.

Anticheese

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 21:02 »

Games boil down to personal taste. Some people can't stand Turok and others love it.

The same applies to Doom, Roguelikes and DoomRL.

AFAIK armour only comes in three flavours, 1 points, 2 points and 4 points. Armour (I know for a fact) works on the formula "Damage = (Damage+SOAG)-(Armour+TAN)" and about the only critter where an AP talent would be worthwhile is on the Cyberdemon.

You can pretty much achieve armourpiercing through use of SOAG.

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007, 22:33 »

Or Son of a Bitch.  That's armor piercing for every weapon in the game.

RepoRipper

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2007, 00:01 »

ohhhhh ok only one lvl then, but what is TAN??????
supernaut, ty! i found the newest turoks only cool in certain parts, but Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (N64) was, on reflection, probably the least boring FPS/Ac/Ad game i have EVER played, with the possible exeption of Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold (ANCIENT PC game, made by apogee [original Duke Nukem makers])

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2007, 02:27 »

ohhhhh ok only one lvl then, but what is TAN??????
supernaut, ty! i found the newest turoks only cool in certain parts, but Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (N64) was, on reflection, probably the least boring FPS/Ac/Ad
Np ;) . TaN - Tough as Nails, a trait giving you one point of armour. I think Turok 2 was pretty cool, but if I remember correctly the monsters spawned occasionally, which kinda annoyed me, but I still enjoyed the game.
But Duke Nukem was totally amazing :D.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2007, 04:49 »

What does a 1-point-AP give you that SoaB doesn't...?

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2007, 10:52 »

Just two more things:

1) A trait that turns your mundane weapons into armor piercing weapons is just plain stupid. It doesn't make any sense at all.

2) If you want armor piercing soooooo badly, just make it a weapon mod. That would make sense but would be less useful than the damage mod :p
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2007, 11:00 »

What does a 1-point-AP give you that SoaB doesn't...?
Probably something I didn't consider...

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2007, 15:00 »

1) A trait that turns your mundane weapons into armor piercing weapons is just plain stupid. It doesn't make any sense at all.
I disagree. Consider what you can do with knowledge of your enemy's armor patterns, and therefore of the vulnerable spots on them. "Find weakness" kind of a thing.

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2007, 18:20 »

I disagree. Consider what you can do with knowledge of your enemy's armor patterns, and therefore of the vulnerable spots on them. "Find weakness" kind of a thing.
SoaB = find weakness. But the weak spot isn't always unprotected, so armor still applies.
Knowing where the weak spot of an enemy's armor is doesn't mean you can punch trough it. Extreme example: just because you know where a tank's weakest spot is doesn't make it vulnerable to a handgun.

Besides, the simple "reduces DR" approach is, as you already noticed, quite useless (and boring) because it's basically the same as SoaB etc. And it'll get worse once the new version comes out :p
The only interesting approach to the whole armor piercing topic would be to increase the minimum damage.
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2007, 02:43 »

SoaB = find weakness. But the weak spot isn't always unprotected, so armor still applies.
Knowing where the weak spot of an enemy's armor is doesn't mean you can punch trough it. Extreme example: just because you know where a tank's weakest spot is doesn't make it vulnerable to a handgun.
The tank's weakest spot is it's crew, and they ARE vulnerable to a handgun ;)
Because you know, that a chainmail is not covered under arms you know it would be better to strike there instead of fx into the chest. And this DOES make it more vulnerable to hits ;)

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2007, 07:13 »

I think DaEezT's point is that the crew may be vulnerable to bullets, but that doesn't mean you can reach it with them, and I think I understand the logic in his explanation, though I'm not sure it's the only way to think about it. Anyway, I'm not up to discussing that today :)

Supernaut

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2007, 08:54 »

I think DaEezT's point is that the crew may be vulnerable to bullets, but that doesn't mean you can reach it with them, and I think I understand the logic in his explanation, though I'm not sure it's the only way to think about it. Anyway, I'm not up to discussing that today :)
I think the example with the tank was bad. Me talking about the crew which was a quick spot was a joke. Pizzas were hot dogs.

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2007, 13:25 »

Joke or not, I lost you man 8)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4