Chaosforge Forum

• April 18, 2024, 19:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Play as Hell's Champion!  (Read 4585 times)

RepoRipper

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Play as Hell's Champion!
« on: March 03, 2007, 22:27 »

this kin of thing was mentioned before, but for playing as a demon of some sort, one of the normal monsters. NO. this is my idea, i hadnt seen that old thread when i thought of it.
in Hell's Arena, if you beat all 3 waves, it mentions that it is a pity that you came to destroy them, for you would have made a great warrior..... guess my idea! at that point, when you prove worthy by completely defeating the Arena, you get a choice: continue on to your doom at the hands of evil, or join Hell's forces, as their greatest Champion! if you choose to join hells forces, "you are pulled willingly into hells darkest depths, as your evil soul is caressed by the eternal night's abyss". when you come back, you find yourself only partly human, a twisted angel of despair, the greatest ever Hell's Champion! you can still use weapons like before, but in addition to being stronger, smarter, tougher, and faster, you can also throw fireballs! and what is left to corrupt at the base? nothing. it's time to invade Earth! new non-demonic enemies, new levels, new tactics! and this fits the Doom storyline. you are the guy who went through first (the hero of doom doesnt know his squad came in 2nd, because their superiors thought it would cause unnecessary panic), and you joined the side of Hell, so while the hero of Doom I is off at the base closing the gateway there, you are invading Earth. the ruins of which the Doom hero confronts in Doom II! perfect!

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Play as Hell's Champion!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 23:01 »

Nice.  Now who's going to make this second game where there once was one?

Santiago Zapata

• Temple Guardian
  • Backer
  • First Lieutenant
  • Roguelike Developer
    • View Profile
    • Slashie.net
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 09:57 »

It sounds very nice to me as an idea, but I doubt Kornel has time and psy-energy left to implement it for now.
Slash (Castlevania, Metroid, Drash, ZeldaRL)
Temple of The Roguelike
Slashie.net

The Buttery Lobster

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 19:45 »

I have two qualms with this idea. First is the whole "caressed by night's abyss" line. Oh my god. That's just too goth and emo for me. I laughed for like 2 minutes when I read that. Sorry, but it's true. This is a minor, but hilarious, issue.

Second is the fact that you really don't DO much by the time you beat hell's arena. I like the idea presented here, but this kind of thing should be reserved for when you get all the way to hell, or even RIGHT BEFORE the cyberdemon. That's when you REALLY prove yourself a master of hell's combat. Then you could, I don't know, save your game, and use savescumming to load it into this new game with all the new maps and enemies you recommended. I don't know if that's how roguelike programs work, I just think that would be cool.

Kornel Kisielewicz

• God Hand
  • Apostle
    • View Profile
    • http://chaosforge.org/
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 07:13 »

People I do have a life! And a ton of other projects waiting ;]. I don't want to be stuck doing DoomRL for the next 5 years. I must admit tough, that a "evil" ending came up through my mind, but I couldn't solve the issue of what would change after the choice of sides.
at your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

RepoRipper

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 15:12 »

buttery, it was just an example. i read too much sci-fi/fantasy in my life.
also, this option could be available only AFTER you have won the game on say.... HMP or Ultra-Violence. but the option MUST go there because of that line, "you wouldve made a great Hell Warrior....".

oh BDR there is no second game, its a whole nother side to the game.

Kornel, i dont expect you to do it all! that's an impossible task, even for you! i think maybe, when version 0.9.9 comes out, someone trusted could use the source code and work on the other half. i mean, new stuff should be easy, esp. when we have Doom 3's human base designs to work with. only designs for bases mind you. nothing undoomish.

BDR

• Elder
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 17:14 »

My take on it was simply meant to illustrate that idea that Kornel put to light; if he's doing it then that means he'll have to work on both adding and tweaking stuff in the regular DoomRL (remember, the normal game isn't done yet) as well as this alternate path's story/enemies/weapons/etc., which will take up even more of his time than is already being taken in the improvement of just the regular DoomRL (as well as his other projects).  Fortunately you recognize this fact (and agree that time divided across more things for Kornel is bad), so I'll be a bit quieter, though I'm still concerned as to whom is going to end up doing this.  If I were king, I'd say you do it, but I'm not and I don't make the rules for the world anyway. :/

RepoRipper

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 22:01 »

Dear BDR,
       I would do it myself in a heartbeat! except for one of a few things:
i do not yet know how to program.... if someone knows a good FULL guide to this games compiler, thats not a problem. except then i need the compiler itself.
id need the source code. (laughably easy to solve)
id need input for stuff to put in. (FORUMS!!!)
id need input authorization from Kornel. (easier than having him do it all himself!)
and id need spare time..... thats a problem, but so what, it doesnt have to be finished very soon, after all! i never intended this to be for anything less than 1.0.0!

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 09:58 »

ReopRipper, the source code for DoomRL's not open to the public, last I checked. If I'm missing anything, please let me know :) , but it seems to me the game has been and still is closed source.

Other than that, I'm glad to help in any way I can, though for the next couple of years at least, I doubt that will include programing.

Now, regarding the original idea:
How about making the transition into hell's forces only after killing Cybie, under the condition that you had become champion of Hell's Arena? Give the character some time to dwell on the idea as he hacks through enemy lines. That should make a continuation better based on current game balance, while still allowing only a skilled player (one with the ability to dominate Hell's Arena with those resources he is given on the first few dlvls) to access it.

RepoRipper

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 22:41 »

hmmm the "think on it" part i hadnt thought about before! good idea!
as for programming, how about this, Kornel? You give us (everyone on the forums) the programming for objects, ie what an item/monster/whatever has for statistics. basically the format for putting in new objects. then we use that and create the new monsters, items, terrain, and so forth, and critique them! we will continue this until 0.9.9.5 . then you simply implement them. and that will be a MAJOR change for Version 1.0!!!!!!!

Fingerzam

• Elder Chaos Guard
  • Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 14:02 »

Now, regarding the original idea:
How about making the transition into hell's forces only after killing Cybie, under the condition that you had become champion of Hell's Arena? Give the character some time to dwell on the idea as he hacks through enemy lines. That should make a continuation better based on current game balance, while still allowing only a skilled player (one with the ability to dominate Hell's Arena with those resources he is given on the first few dlvls) to access it.

Well, to me it would be more interesting if the Hell had corrupted the hero and when you got back to Earth, you would see the humans as demons and you would think that the forces of Hell had already invaded Earth. So you'd end up killing the humans of some military base and only realising it afterwards that you had just actually brought the Hell on Earth by yourself.

Now that I read what I just wrote, I don't know if that would be that interesting, but here it is anyways.
Pages: [1]