Chaosforge Forum

• March 29, 2024, 06:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: "Classic Mode" - premade map challenge  (Read 2355 times)

xwdishere

• Private FC
  • Now I'm radioactive! That can't be good!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
"Classic Mode" - premade map challenge
« on: March 04, 2007, 12:15 »

This is an idea I got one night. What if, instead of randomly generating levels like in a Roguelike, there was the option to play a premade series of maps like in the original Doom? I know that somebody was working on ASCII maps of Doom E1, and my idea is like that.

There would be maps, like the special levels, which would always be the same no matter how many times you play them. If you die, you can restart the level with the same items, health and stats you had when you entered the level.
To balance this, traits would either be disabled or less effective, you can only hold a certain amount of ammo (but you can hold more if you get the backpack! :P), items would be activated/used as soon as you pick them up (a la AoI) and no unique/improved (extended, advanced) items.
Scores would be determined at the end of each level based on percentages of par turns, enemies killed and secrets found.
This would probably make DoomRL more Doomish than RLish, but I think it might be fun to try. The ability to load in new user-made levels would also be a must if this is implemented. Y'know, like if you just get an urge to play the Chained Court but don't want to go through several other levels to get to it.

This might significantly increase the download size, but I don't think it would be too hard to use, since DoomRL already has the special levels in their own files.

The Buttery Lobster

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
Re: "Classic Mode" - premade map challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 19:26 »

I don't think it's necessary to weaken or eliminate traits or special weapons or ANY of that stuff. I think the special maps would be fine as is, and still be fun. I do think there would have to be an element of randomness to it, to be fun, though.

First, I think the maps should be recreations of the original Doom. Second, I think there should be no "secrets" sections-- you could do speed completed, instead, or amount of map explored (I know, secrets and map explored are mostly the same thing), or something like that. In today's information age, secrets tend to get revealed really really really quickly, and that element of the game would soon be boring. Third, I think the maps might benefit from an element of randomness-- maybe place MOST but not ALL of the items (leave key weapons/armor/unique stuff in place) at random-- i.e. extra common ammo and small med-kits. Also, randomize the spawns of most, but not ALL, of the monsters-- boss characters or particularly out of place monsters would spawn in the same place each time (and would move to a random location via walking around). You could even go as far as to generate the monsters completely at random.

In gameplay terms, it would be like "The Halls of Carnage" with a Baron of Hell in the usual spot, but everyone else just splattered across the map.

OR, you could have each level have a PORTION of the map pregenerated, and randomly make the rest of the map level. I.E. when you get the message "you feel excited" you know the same layout room is going to be somewhere on the map. The game could use that same principle, but with a larger, series of rooms, each uniquely designed, with the same items/monsters/whatever each time.
Pages: [1]