Chaosforge Forum

• June 08, 2024, 01:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Unused monsters from DooM  (Read 4453 times)

twiddybum

• Private FC
  • Yeah baby!
    • View Profile
Unused monsters from DooM
« on: December 28, 2006, 15:17 »

This may have been answered already, but why haven't the Mancubus and Revenant monsters been used?  They were in the original Doom and their absense has left me wondering...

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
Re: Unused monsters from DooM
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 15:32 »

Some monsters were only added last version, so my best guess is more will be added on the next one.

Malek Deneith

• Grand Inquisitor Emeritus
  • Grand Inquisitor
  • Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 10:22 »

Mancubus is on to-do list for 0.9.9 as far as I know. No info on Revenant, but some time a go Kornel mentioned it will get in too, so lets just wait for that :)
Inquisition - saving your soul, one bolter shell at a time.
Spoiler: "Hackmaster Kills" (click to show/hide)

DaEezT

• Greater Elder
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 10:40 »

I want to welcome our new Revenant overlords. \o/
"Morality is merely a convention with which men mutually agree to delude themselves. There are no moral facts, just preferences, and one is no better than any other."

Khashishi

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 19:44 »

How would you make mancubus and revenant different from baron of hell? I think all the monsters should have somewhat distinguishable characteristics, or there's no point.

In doom, mancubus had poor aim but he shot two big plasma thingies around where you are so it was easy to get hit. Maybe in the game, he could shoot blobs to either side of you that can hurt you with splash if they explode.

The revenant has a homing projectile, but that doesn't translate well into the roguelike. Maybe it just doesn't miss, like the archvile. But that sounds a little boring.

Blade

• Tester
  • Elder Chaos Guard
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
    • Upyachka
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 03:12 »

So great thing as randomization of firing direction can be easily implemented. So mancubus can fire randomly at your direction 2, 4, or 6 balls(this needs test for balance). And guiding missiles, i think, are not hard to add, especially in turn-based game. You need to create rocket that flies not instantly, but, for example, 5 squares, and rotates 45 degrees(if needed) in direction of player's location per turn.
Low orbit ion cannon damaged my brain!!1
Now i'm an idiot!1 Kill me, somebody!!11

TFoN

• Colonel
  • Gleefully antisocial!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 13:29 »

Homing missiles can have a very high hit ratio and/or ignore certain aspects of the hit/miss calculation, like range, but not others, like speed.

As for multiple shots, that's easy: they have a [whatever] hit ratio, but as they are effectively fired more rapidly, you're more likely to get hit by X projectiles in Y time. It should work out fine that way.

Alfonso the Great

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 15:09 »

How would you make mancubus and revenant different from baron of hell? I think all the monsters should have somewhat distinguishable characteristics, or there's no point.

In doom, mancubus had poor aim but he shot two big plasma thingies around where you are so it was easy to get hit. Maybe in the game, he could shoot blobs to either side of you that can hurt you with splash if they explode.

I know I'd end up cursing like a sailor when (not if) a mancubus started knocking down all the walls and unleashing hordes of arch-viles and arachnotrons on my unprepared self, even IF his fireballs are way off to both sides!

The Buttery Lobster

• Lance Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 01:17 »

Hate to bump a dead thread, but what about the Icon of Sin? Will that be something for Doom IIRL, or 1.00? I'd like to see it, whatever the case.
Pages: [1]