Chaosforge Forum

• March 28, 2024, 02:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Doom : Repercussions of modding  (Read 43080 times)

flamewolf393

• Lance Corporal
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Doom : Repercussions of modding
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2017, 00:32 »

Just beat this as a lost soul vampire build with 100% kills.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2017, 17:30 »

Just beat this as a lost soul vampire build with 100% kills.

Ha!  You didn't specify difficulty level, so I did it in ITYTD.  :D

It's a heck of a lot easier when there are fewer enemies to pick up med packs; I could zip around the levels, picking them all up before anyone knew what was happening.  :)

Spoiler: Mortem (click to show/hide)
Apostle Chaos Lt. General (0.9.9.7)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Check out my Youtube channel for videos of me playing DRL!  :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXOijubEijdnrOja0kxXTKQ/videos

SPTX

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2017, 03:17 »

I wonder if this mod (in its current state, read: unfinished due to limitations) would warrant balance. Or should it stay as it is since most of its fun seems to reside in the large difference there is between each demon.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2017, 11:16 »

Well, since it's your creation, there are no rules except the ones you make.  :)  But if you want to mess around with it, I'll be glad to test it for you.  :)
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2018, 07:13 »

For no particular reason, I felt like playing this mod again today, again playing as a Lost Soul on N! with a Vampyre build.  This time, I took advantage of my discovery that Ironman trait consistently gives you 10 hp, effectively doubling the Lost Soul's starting hitpoints.  :D  So I had the Lost Soul's advantages of extra speed and natural flying without the disadvantage of reduced hit points.  It made things a heck of a lot easier and made me a lot bolder than my previous game, enough that I took on more of the special levels, including Halls of Carnage, the Mortuary, and Mt. Erebus.  I was also lucky enough to find a nuke, so I was able to nibble John Carmack to death for a full win.  Yay!  :D

[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2019, 00:22 »

I felt like playing this mod recently, and decided to see if I could do it in Lost Soul form with a Blademaster build.  (Bitemaster?)  :P  This meant I had the opportunity to go ridiculously fast, with the Lost Soul's natural speed boost, Hellrunner, and agility-modded Tac boots, I was moving at 0.04 seconds per move while berserk, (0.03 if I took the armour off) and kills took zero time.  I kind of wonder...  how does that work, exactly?  I mean the idea behind Blademaster is that you swing the blade so fast that you chop multiple enemies with one swing, but how does that make sense if I'm biting them?  Am I biting everyone simultaneously?  :P  Oh well...

EDIT:  Also, I forgot to mention...  I encountered the same bug I encountered once before, where I leveled up and the game froze, making me unable to select a trait.  When this happened before, I had leveled up by killing the Cyberdemon, so I assumed that was the cause, but in this game, it was just some random level-up that triggered it.  The really curious thing is that when I realized that I seemingly couldn't advance any further in the game, I mashed some keys in frustration and...  somehow it broke out of being frozen!  :o  Not only that, but I got some extra traits out of it, bringing me up to Hellrunner 4 (even though that's supposed to be impossible) and Ironman 3.  I have no idea what I did that caused that, but it generated an error message, so I'll include it here:  (Looks like it generated three messages, one for each key mash)  :P

Spoiler: Error Message (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 00:39 by Tormuse »
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

SPTX

• Sergeant
  • Lost Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2019, 03:23 »

I am afraid I can't fix that error without access to the source code.
The way I get it, that trait fetches modded sources as parametters, but the error doesn't report what is fetched. All I know is that it may be an enumerator going taken out of range, but there is no telling if it's even an enum I made nor how many items it's missing. If I could I'd make some error checking on the trait's function to limit itself to the enum's size (assuming an enum is the problem). Alternative is putting filler in my enum but then I'd have a few things to figure out (going totally blind) otherwise you'd get unexpected results.
Anyway, I'm glad you still play this mod.

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2019, 23:21 »

I am afraid I can't fix that error without access to the source code.

Hmm?  The source code for DRL was released ages ago.  Here it is.  Or were you referring to something else?
[26/26/26/26/18/9]

Tormuse

• Elder
  • General
  • More Angelic than not
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2022, 21:28 »

I randomly felt like playing this mod again and after several attempts, won a Nightmare game as a Lost Soul.  :)

Not a whole lot to say about it, compared to previous attempts at this challenge, except that I got lucky with a number of well placed berserk packs and invulnerability spheres early on.  Also, the game was weirdly generous with bulk mods;  I had 7 of them in my inventory at one point.

Spoiler: Screenshot (click to show/hide)

The funny part about that is I put the tech mod on my bite, because I figured I couldn't count on finding another bulk mod, and I wanted to save that for my armour.  :P

[26/26/26/26/18/9]
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All